What happens with time on the court when the Fab 5 arrive | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What happens with time on the court when the Fab 5 arrive

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
Best 5 start. Next 3-5 play if they're good enough to earn minutes. Pretty simple really.

It's 2022 and we have expectations of being a perennial top-10 team seeing the second weekend in March.

Feelings will be hurt. Players will transfer if they aren't good enough. Hurley will help them find a school that is a better fit for their skill level (a la Gaffney, Diggins, Akok). It is what it is. Kids like Springs are a rarity.
Don't forget Corey Floyd?????...Force out? or looking for more PT????...I'll take his replacement ( Joey Cal. anytime! )

Reaction Score
Don't forget Corey Floyd?????...Force out? or looking for more PT????...I'll take his replacement ( Joey Cal. anytime! )

NJ Hoops has indicated that was a little bit less of an amicable parting of ways. Nonetheless, it's clear now that CFJ was not good enough for this team, so it was best to move on.

Reaction Score
Are any of them true point guards or power forwards? Plenty of time available for those.

Reaction Score
Are any of them true point guards or power forwards? Plenty of time available for those.
Castle is a PG and should start day 1. No one is a true 4 or even a Hurley 4…Maybe Ross or Stewart could be a small ball 4. But that may be the position we have the least to worry about with both Karaban and Samson probable to be back next year.

Reaction Score
Very different than the Michigan Fab 5 of Webber, Howard, Rose, Jackson and whoever # 5 was. Michigan's cupboard was bare when they arrived and they came in and took all the playing time. Playing time will need to be earned. That's something to worry about next year after we win the national championship.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Simple , we keep the guys who aren’t heartless and gutless with no d, and can run 50.1 miles with a cellphone in each hand.

Next question?!
But not a modern cell phone, like a 1990 cell phone.

1670734065881.jpeg

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The freshmen get to grow, from the bench. Unless there's another Clingon.

Historically Hurley seemingly favors experience

But it's a whole new world now

Reaction Score
They are thinking, “damn, now I know why Danny forced me out”
DH did not force anyone out. Just told them the honest truth about their playing time for this year and they made their own decision. You think Gaff and Akok were pushed out to make room for the internationals?

Reaction Score
What happens is that we reloaded and continue to win lots of games. Rinse and repeat.

Reaction Score
The question seems to imply we aren’t losing anyone from this year’s team when I think it’s more likely we don’t have enough in the way of reinforcements on the way and will need at least 1 more transfer that can shoot 3s and play starters minutes.

Reaction Score
DH did not force anyone out. Just told them the honest truth about their playing time for this year and they made their own decision. You think Gaff and Akok were pushed out to make room for the internationals?
T2R is correct. Earlier this year was fortunate to bump into a coach and flat out asked him about Floyd and Akok directly. Floyd was told he projected 7-9 and decided to bolt. Akok was a surprise transfer and hit hard. Did not ask about Gaff.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Historically Hurley seemingly favors experience
This season Karaban has the most playtime and Clingan would probably see more if Sanogo wasn't as good as he is. Previously he had to rely on some of the older players due to the team makeup but he played younger players too, Hawkins was seeing time last year for example.

It certainly felt like it last year though when a lot of us (count me in) were desperate to find someone who could help get them over the hump in all those close games.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
This season Karaban has the most playtime and Clingan would probably see more if Sanogo wasn't as good as he is. Previously he had to rely on some of the older players due to the team makeup but he played younger players too, Hawkins was seeing time last year for example.

It certainly felt like it last year though when a lot of us (count me in) were desperate to find someone who could help get them over the hump in all those close games.

That's true, but this year he only had three rotation players returning, he has to play the new guys. I suppose a really special player will get some minutes, but I'm thinking most of the freshman will not next year

Reaction Score
If there’s one thing Hurley has shown, it’s that he knows how to allocate playing time. He’s not afraid to play freshmen when they deserve it, ie Karaban and Clingan. So I’m not all too concerned with this.

Makes me wonder with Corey Floyd, for all the hype he generated, Hurley probably sat down with him and told him realistically he was probably gonna be at the end of our bench.

Reaction Score
There's gonna be a ton of turnover between kids going pro, transferring. Who knows. And who can really figure out which recruit will do what? I think I fell for the same thing with Clingan that playing at 6'4" centers at RHAM and Southington wasn't gonna get him ready to play in the Big East - that was everyone (including myself) biggest reason for thinking he wouldn't be an immediate star. I've seen the videos of the incoming kids and the highlights all look great. I'd be shocked if Castle wasn't a star/starter day one, but nothing else can be taken for granted. Then again, Castle's competition doesn't look great compared to what some of the other incoming kids are playing against and who on the HS level can guard a quick 6'6" kid with a handle and just a dead-on shooter? Much like Clingan proved me wrong with his immediate impact, Castle is gonna be a future lottery pick too.

We will worry about this "problem" when we get there.

Reaction Score
There's gonna be a ton of turnover between kids going pro, transferring. Who knows. And who can really figure out which recruit will do what? I think I fell for the same thing with Clingan that playing at 6'4" centers at RHAM and Southington wasn't gonna get him ready to play in the Big East - that was everyone (including myself) biggest reason for thinking he wouldn't be an immediate star. I've seen the videos of the incoming kids and the highlights all look great. I'd be shocked if Castle wasn't a star/starter day one, but nothing else can be taken for granted. Then again, Castle's competition doesn't look great compared to what some of the other incoming kids are playing against and who on the HS level can guard a quick 6'6" kid with a handle and just a dead-on shooter? Much like Clingan proved me wrong with his immediate impact, Castle is gonna be a future lottery pick too.

We will worry about this "problem" when we get there.
Castle (short of going to a prep school) has played against excellent competition at UA circuit and USA Basketball during the summer and his Newton HS team plays against the top high school competition in the state of GA while having already played the #2 team in the country (Duncanville in TX); his high school schedule is amongst the toughest in the country. Not sure how his competition could be any better.

Reaction Score
Geez. 11-0. Best team in the country and you’re worried about playing time for next year?
You think its bad now? Wait till the final buzzer sounds on the season and how we should be preseason #1 if Clingan comes back. Theyll be saying he can lead us to back to back titles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom