What Happens if we Win? | The Boneyard

What Happens if we Win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever seen quite so much hyperbole and such overreactions as we've seen this week.

Game 1: Outplayed by an undefeated top 25 team with a superb QB and an immense amount of age and experience. That team blasted Texas even more convincingly the next week.
Game 2: Played poorly in a win over an FCS team, with Whitmer starting for the first time. Turnovers a problem.
Game 3: Played reasonably well against a good Boise State team. Aside from another early turnover and late turnovers, were in a position to win against a quality opponent. Improvement seen. Defense against Boise run game was very good.
Game 4: Spotted USF a touchdown on another early turnover. Despite abandoning the pass until the end, outscored USF 14-10 the rest of the way, while playing their first road game, in a monsoon.

Temple is on deck. If we win, and if the run blocking and run game is improved and Whitmer gets the ball to Davis and Foxx, and most critically, if we can start the game at 0-0 instead of 0-7 for the first time all season, what will people here say?

Reaction Score
If we win, I'd be happy as all get out... and hopefully the team will gain confidence to keep the trend going, although I believe in a couple weeks we run into a bulldozer (@ECU)

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
this would have been a good poll...

1 - pass out from relief.
2 - point out where we could have done better, and enjoy the moment
3 - complain about 4 specific weird plays and HCBDs explanations
4 - call for the coaches head because the win was a fluke
and...
5 - Tell Cody J that the streaking was good mojo and he has to repeat at all games...

Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever seen quite so much hyperbole and such overreactions as we've seen this week.

Game 1: Outplayed by an undefeated top 25 team with a superb QB and an immense amount of age and experience. That team blasted Texas even more convincingly the next week.
Game 2: Played poorly in a win over an FCS team, with Whitmer starting for the first time. Turnovers a problem.
Game 3: Played reasonably well against a good Boise State team. Aside from another early turnover and late turnovers, were in a position to win against a quality opponent. Improvement seen. Defense against Boise run game was very good.
Game 4: Spotted USF a touchdown on another early turnover. Despite abandoning the pass until the end, outscored USF 14-10 the rest of the way, while playing their first road game, in a monsoon.

Temple is on deck. If we win, and if the run blocking and run game is improved and Whitmer gets the ball to Davis and Foxx, and most critically, if we can start the game at 0-0 instead of 0-7 for the first time all season, what will people here say?

I would add Alec Bloom to your list of people that need to get more targets.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Depends on the nature of the win. If we try unsuccessfully to run the ball until the last two minutes and only win on a defensive play or an onside kick, things will be better but not a whole lot better. Now if we control the LOS on both sides of the ball and win convincingly expect a whole lot of posts explaining how "the process is working."

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't understand the premise of the OP?

Good luck to anyone trying to guess what the outcome will be Saturday. There is literally nothing that would surprise with maybe the one exception of us blowing them out.

The point is that the team hasn't been nearly as awful as everyone here makes it sound, despite an OL that has itself been awful and despite spotting the opponent 7 points via turnover on the opening drive of every single game. There are a fair number of positives.

Reaction Score
The point is that the team hasn't been nearly as awful as everyone here makes it sound, despite an OL that has itself been awful and despite spotting the opponent 7 points via turnover on the opening drive of every single game. There are a fair number of positives.

Hawk - You need to be more critical, more over the top, more hyperbole, more --- you know :). Seems like there 's not much demand for cool heads and reasoned posts. I look forward to the win. Also look forward to your posts.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
this would have been a good poll...

1 - pass out from relief.
2 - point out where we could have done better, and enjoy the moment
3 - complain about 4 specific weird plays and HCBDs explanations
4 - call for the coaches head because the win was a fluke
and...
5 - Tell Cody J that the streaking was good mojo and he has to repeat at all games...

I would add...

6. State that Temple is just that bad and don't give credit to the team.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Up until about a month ago, I had the bluest of blue glasses (short of @UConnDan97 , and the eternal undefeated prediction).

Now, not as much.

Frankly, I haven't seen any positives yet. And there was nothing positive in the "win" against SB. We haven't visibly turned a corner (and I pray USF was bottom).

We are a bad team. We have much to work on, and I accept it. That doesn't mean I don't believe in Diaco or that I won't be there cheering.

If we win versus Temple - I'm glad I get to leave the Rent not feeling like I left a funeral, but it doesn't tell us much in and of itself. If it turns out that we can build on the win going forward - then we can look back and say it was a turning point. Until then though...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Up until about a month ago, I had the bluest of blue glasses (short of @UConnDan97 , and the eternal undefeated prediction).

Now, not as much.

Frankly, I haven't seen any positives yet. And there was nothing positive in the "win" against SB. We haven't visibly turned a corner (and I pray USF was bottom).

We are a bad team. We have much to work on, and I accept it. That doesn't mean I don't believe in Diaco or that I won't be there cheering.

If we win versus Temple - I'm glad I get to leave the Rent not feeling like I left a funeral, but it doesn't tell us much in and of itself. If it turns out that we can build on the win going forward - then we can look back and say it was a turning point. Until then though...

You know...10-3 is not out of the question yet...

blue-sunglasses.jpg

Reaction Score

I guess I don't understand. If you're sick of hearing what you describe as "over the top" and "hyperbole" from me and other posters, why would you start a thread trying to bait us into the same old stuff you're sick of hearing?

Reaction Score
The team sucks. Please stop with this bull$hit our football team is terrible.

This isn't a glass half full versus half empty situation. The glass is empty, and frankly could use a run through the dishwasher.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
what happens if we win

We will be 2-3.

And there will still be Pro's and Con's and bitching, complaining and so on...1 win aint changing anything around here but it would feel good for the ride home at least!
It would be great for the Team.

#HuskyUp

Reaction Score
I guess I don't understand. If you're sick of hearing what you describe as "over the top" and "hyperbole" from me and other posters, why would you start a thread trying to bait us into the same old stuff you're sick of hearing?

LOL.

Jimmy, I disagree that the coach "quit" on attempting to win the game. I don't expect you do change your mind, and I'm not going to either, so we'll just leave it at that. We'll see what happens Saturday.

I personally have sunken to the point, where I just don't want to be cringing every time the ball is snapped. I have a cringing problem with UCONN football.

If we can get through the first quarter without an offensive turnover, that will help with my cringing problem. If we can manage to make some solid blocks and tackles regularly, and no players end up on the ground with shoulder, collarbone, and stinger problems, and there aren't yellow flags on the grass, that will also help with my cringing problem.

Reaction Score
LOL.

Jimmy, I disagree that the coach "quit" on attempting to win the game. I don't expect you do change your mind, and I'm not going to either, so we'll just leave it at that. We'll see what happens Saturday.

I personally have sunken to the point, where I just don't want to be cringing every time the ball is snapped. I have a cringing problem with UCONN football.

If we can get through the first quarter without an offensive turnover, that will help with my cringing problem. If we can manage to make some solid blocks and tackles regularly, and no players end up on the ground with shoulder, collarbone, and stinger problems, and there aren't yellow flags on the grass, that will also help with my cringing problem.

No problem with the disagreement. I'm done addressing it.

Reaction Score
I think Diaco is trying to run a certain system/scheme (no, I don't know what it is). But its apparent that 1) there is a learning curve and 2) the players he inherited on this roster don't fit his system the way he wants. I believe most of the freshmen on the team are PP's recruits correct? So Diaco's first full recruiting class will be 2015 freshman, most of whom will be 2016 RS Freshmen.

Until then, should he change the system to the strengths of the current team, get an extra win or two this year, and then the kids have to learn his REAL system all over again next year? Or keep his system in place, perhaps resulting in more losses in the near term, but giving the young guys on the team a taste of what their goal is on the field to better prepare them for the future with the team?

This week I hope we see an offense running more smoothly with less penalties, better blocking, better throws, less fumbles. A win would be nice, but looking for improvement. So "what happens if we win"? We'll be 2-3 with two weeks to prepare for Tulane and getting back to 0.500.

Reaction Score
You can't sugercoat it. It's been a horrid start, but we should have known that the train wreck left behind by PP/GDL wasn't going to be fixed overnight. It was wishful thinking that it wouldn't. Still a lot of work to do for Diaco. And losing CC was a tough blow that we didn't see coming.

Reaction Score

You miss the point. Diaco has made it clear that winning isn't the priority. That doesn't sit well with many folks.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I'm not baiting. I think the team is going to turn the corner, if not this weekend, then soon. They won't suddenly become great, there's not enough talent for that. But it will play better and win games. Things are not quite as bad as they seem.

Reaction Score
I'm not baiting. I think the team is going to turn the corner, if not this weekend, then soon. They won't suddenly become great, there's not enough talent for that. But it will play better and win games. Things are not quite as bad as they seem.

It's pretty clear you're baiting. Own it.

Reaction Score
You miss the point. Diaco has made it clear that winning isn't the priority. That doesn't sit well with many folks.

You miss the point.

Winning this year may not be the priority. Tear the house down, rebuild the foundation, and build a powerhouse. New S&C coach, new coaches with recruiting strengths from different geographical locations, husky mascot on the field, husky walk, and its apparent he's got a system on the field that the current players need time to adapt to. It'll take a couple years, winning IS the priority.

Reaction Score
If you are looking for a reason why everyone wants to bash the team week in week out the answer is that a lot of Uconn fans are fair weather fans. They'll be back riding the horse all on Diacco's D*ck in 2 years when this group of guys he has now are Juniors and Seniors and experienced guys who have bought into his system. The fan's that have bought into what Diacco is BEGGING everyone to buy into are NOT the ones on here who are trolling and singling out every misfortune and bad play in the games.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

He hasn't said anything of the kind. He is trying to win every game and balancing that with a desire to build a team that can win in the future. They are conflicting goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom