What Happens if we Win? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Happens if we Win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you are looking for a reason why everyone wants to bash the team week in week out the answer is that a lot of Uconn fans are fair weather fans. They'll be back riding the horse all on Diacco's D*ck in 2 years when this group of guys he has now are Juniors and Seniors and experienced guys who have bought into his system. The fan's that have bought into what Diacco is BEGGING everyone to buy into are NOT the ones on here who are trolling and singling out every misfortune and bad play in the games.

^^^That is what I may have been baiting.

Reaction Score
I'll do wifey with special vigor and make sure she gets the full 90 seconds of lovin' , oops, meant to type 90 minutes.

Reaction Score
The defense has played much better since BYU so I think that counts as a positive.

Offensively, I agree, it's been a complete disaster.

Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever seen quite so much hyperbole and such overreactions as we've seen this week.

Game 1: Outplayed by an undefeated top 25 team with a superb QB and an immense amount of age and experience. That team blasted Texas even more convincingly the next week.
Game 2: Played poorly in a win over an FCS team, with Whitmer starting for the first time. Turnovers a problem.
Game 3: Played reasonably well against a good Boise State team. Aside from another early turnover and late turnovers, were in a position to win against a quality opponent. Improvement seen. Defense against Boise run game was very good.
Game 4: Spotted USF a touchdown on another early turnover. Despite abandoning the pass until the end, outscored USF 14-10 the rest of the way, while playing their first road game, in a monsoon.

Temple is on deck. If we win, and if the run blocking and run game is improved and Whitmer gets the ball to Davis and Foxx, and most critically, if we can start the game at 0-0 instead of 0-7 for the first time all season, what will people here say?
If we win, everything Diaco said to this point will make sense otherwise I am still confused.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Frankly, I haven't seen any positives yet.
I've been pleased specifically with the run defense and the overall defense (except for Obi). I think they would have some solid numbers at this point if not for the fact the offense doesn't give them a breather and continues to give the opponent great field position. How about Lee on special teams? You must see some kind of positive, no?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you are looking for a reason why everyone wants to bash the team week in week out the answer is that a lot of Uconn fans are fair weather fans. They'll be back riding the horse all on Diacco's D*ck in 2 years when this group of guys he has now are Juniors and Seniors and experienced guys who have bought into his system. The fan's that have bought into what Diacco is BEGGING everyone to buy into are NOT the ones on here who are trolling and singling out every misfortune and bad play in the games.

Yeah me and Jimmy and CHB are fair weather fans. Good analysis.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I've been pleased specifically with the run defense and the overall defense (except for Obi). I think they would have some solid numbers at this point if not for the fact the offense doesn't give them a breather and continues to give the opponent great field position. How about Lee on special teams? You must see some kind of positive, no?
Honestly... You are right with all the examples you mention. They have been the bright spots, if you can call them that.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The team sucks. Please stop with this bull$hit our football team is terrible.

This isn't a glass half full versus half empty situation. The glass is empty, and frankly could use a run through the dishwasher.
But is it 100% empty or 0% full?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah me and Jimmy and CHB are fair weather fans. Good analysis.

No, but you sure are prone to only talk about and focus on the negatives, no matter what. I can just see it now: "Can you believe the ugly tie Diaco wore when we beat Alabama in the championship game? That guy sucks."

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
One win at a time, any given Saturday

Reaction Score
I think Diaco is trying to run a certain system/scheme (no, I don't know what it is). But its apparent that 1) there is a learning curve and 2) the players he inherited on this roster don't fit his system the way he wants. I believe most of the freshmen on the team are PP's recruits correct? So Diaco's first full recruiting class will be 2015 freshman, most of whom will be 2016 RS Freshmen.

Until then, should he change the system to the strengths of the current team, get an extra win or two this year, and then the kids have to learn his REAL system all over again next year? Or keep his system in place, perhaps resulting in more losses in the near term, but giving the young guys on the team a taste of what their goal is on the field to better prepare them for the future with the team?

This week I hope we see an offense running more smoothly with less penalties, better blocking, better throws, less fumbles. A win would be nice, but looking for improvement. So "what happens if we win"? We'll be 2-3 with two weeks to prepare for Tulane and getting back to 0.500.

This was the most reasonable post is a while... I believe this is right on.. I read a lot here, don't post much.. I wasn't expecting much this year.. Bowl would be great, but wasn't expecting it. I would have been happy with 4-5 wins. If we don't get there, we move forward. I believe there was too much expected by some. Diaco is/was the right man for the job.

New coach, new system, young players.. I was going to give him at least 2-3 years. If no improvement by then, well he had his chance. By improvement I don't mean 10-2.. I mean good football and at least 6-6.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, but you sure are prone to only talk about and focus on the negatives, no matter what. I can just see it now: "Can you believe the ugly tie Diaco wore when we beat Alabama in the championship game? That guy sucks."

I spent years defending Edsall and talking about how good I thought those teams were. When you are 14-27 against pathetic schedules there aren't many positive things to say.

So maybe it's not on me.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
HuskyHawk, you are truly a Master Baiter.

That being said, whether by accident or by design, you managed to suck me into reading yet another two pages of good-versus-evil, diametrically opposed viewpoints that all wind up at the same place...we just have to wait for another kickoff.

For what it's worth, I appreciate the OP and its pinkish hue. By Thursday, my anger is gone and I look forward to any positive BS. Maybe soon, it won't take four to five days for that to happen.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't know too many games on the schedule where a win would count as a "shocker". Temple is better than UConn, but it is a home game and Temple isn't that much better.

Reaction Score
You miss the point. Diaco has made it clear that winning isn't the priority. That doesn't sit well with many folks.
I have absolutely no problem with that. The mess that was inherited needs at least 2 years to recover from and year 1 is laying a foundation. I think that is what is happening.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I have absolutely no problem with that. The mess that was inherited needs at least 2 years to recover from and year 1 is laying a foundation. I think that is what is happening.

Except he's not building a house. It is entirely possible to install new systems, upgrade S&C, improve the operations of the programs without losing to the bottom 10% of D1 teams or going 1-11.

Who is going to improve so much next year that we win 8+? Or, is next year's plan to win 5?

The issues are obvious ,why couldn't they have been addressed in spring ball or fall practice of after the first two tune ups?

A lot of this grief is over a very poor performance against USF and if that is an outlier, then everyone will calm down. But, after a third of the season there isn't much to celebrate except turnovers, 3 yards a carry, watching QB'S imitate tackling dummies, and blown coverages. It can't be all on the players.

Reaction Score
I get to walk out of the Rent a much happier guy with my Temple alumni friends that are going to the game. As they were also with me for the 2012 game against the Owls, you can imagine how pleased they were walking out of the Rent after that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom