What Happened To AEH? (And Other Reno Surprises) | The Boneyard

What Happened To AEH? (And Other Reno Surprises)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The most surprising decision in the Nevada game (to me, at least) was the fact that Andra Espinosa-Hunter did not play. I wonder if she had a minor injury. It certainly is unusual that after playing so well in the last game, tonight we saw Molly and Mikayla get in the game as guards, but not AEH.

I hope someone will ask Geno about this in the postgame press conference.

Other surprises:

1. Azura and Gabby both managed to get four fouls in not.a lot of minutes.
  2. Kyla Irwin got on the floor before Megan Walker in the second quarter.
  3. UConn had multiple, serious defensive breakdowns against a not-very-good team in the second half. If it hadn’t been for Kia Nurse’s amazing shooting, this game would have been in single digits.
  4. Molly made an excellent pass late in the game that should have been assist, but her teammate (I think it was Azura) missed a wide-open shot. Molly also committed a silly turnover and got beat way too easily on a pick and roll play, but I attribute those mistakes to her minimal minutes in actual games.

Reaction Score
The most surprising decision in the Nevada game (to me, at least) was the fact that Andra Espinosa-Hunter did not play. I wonder if she had a minor injury. It certainly is unusual that after playing so well in the last game, tonight we saw Molly and Mikayla get in the game as guards, but not AEH.

Other surprises:

3. UConn had multiple, serious defensive breakdowns against a not-very-good team in the second half. If it hadn’t been for Kia Nurse’s amazing shooting, this game would have been in single digits.
  4. Molly made an excellent pass late in the game that should have been assist, but her teammate (I think it was Azura) missed a wide-open shot. Molly also committed a silly turnover and got beat way too easily on a pick and roll play, but I attribute those mistakes to her minimal minutes in actual games.

I noticed that Z got flat out beat on two brutal back-door cuts leading to open layups, in the space of about three minutes. I guess if this kind of thing is going to happen, glad it's now.

Reaction Score
Just glad Lou is coming back so we get a bit of depth back. Kyla must be doing something right in practice as this was the second game in a row she got in relatively early. She came in for Z in the first quarter today game. I like that she's not afraid to mix it up down low, or set a screen up high, and can hit from 3 though it's too bad she can't jump so her defense is limited to positioning and getting her arms straight up.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Just glad Lou is coming back so we get a bit of depth back. Kyla must be doing something right in practice as this was the second game in a row she got in relatively early. She came in for Z in the first quarter today game. I like that she's not afraid to mix it up down low, or set a screen up high, and can hit from 3 though it's too bad she can't jump so her defense is limited to positioning and getting her arms straight up.
Didn't the same tweet that claims Lou will play against Notre Dame say that BatCam would play against Nevada?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Kyla does not always get the rebound but, she usually blocks out the player she is guarding. As to Walker, she was weak on defense tonight. The second half defense was not as effective as it was in the first half, including the press. However, they still won by thirty. For some reason, some teams seem to get hot shooting three point shots in the second against Uconn, even players who are not normally accurate three point shooters. Also, thankfully, Geno took the press off when the lead got to almost forty. If he had not, Nevada would not have gotten as close as they did. Once Uconn stopped pressing and then reinstated it, it was hard for them to press with the same intensity as they did in the first half, or so it seemed to me.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Kyla does not always get the rebound but, she usually blocks out the player she is guarding. As to Walker, she was weak on defense tonight. The second half defense was not as effective as it was in the first half, including the press. However, they still won by thirty. For some reason, some teams seem to get hot shooting three point shots in the second against Uconn, even players who are not normally accurate three point shooters. Also, thankfully, Geno took the press off when the lead got to almost forty. If he had not, Nevada would not have gotten as close as they did. Once Uconn stopped pressing and then reinstated it, it was hard for them to press with the same intensity as they did in the first half, or so it seemed to me.

Maybe it's a homecoming game thing. Didn't Colgate hit a godawful number of threes against us?

HGN

Reaction Score

Other surprises:

Other surprises:

Joe, I think Geno knew he had this game early on enough that he started coaching for the ND game coming up next. I would
like to think that he didn't want to show all his cards to MM too early knowing that ND was probably scouting the Nevada game. So he decided to hold back showing too much. He didn't play AEH , Camara , or KLS. Three (3) weapons Geno will have for the next game that MM didn't get to see. Geno knows what he has in those 3 but ND does not.

JMHO.

Reaction Score
Didn't the same tweet that claims Lou will play against Notre Dame say that BatCam would play against Nevada?
Geno said he expects her back for ND, she lost her boot, and was seen running up and down the arena steps before the game last night which is a pretty good sign that her foot is ok.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
But is AEH hurt or in the doghouse?

Reaction Score
We probably will never know if she's in dog house or not... but I think Geno was unhappy with the way things were going, especially on defense in 2nd half especially and wanted the starters to get it straightened out. We were supposed to win by 40 or more...

Reaction Score
Joe, I think Geno knew he had this game early on enough that he started coaching for the ND game coming up next. I would
like to think that he didn't want to show all his cards to MM too early knowing that ND was probably scouting the Nevada game. So he decided to hold back showing too much. He didn't play AEH , Camara , or KLS. Three (3) weapons Geno will have for the next game that MM didn't get to see. Geno knows what he has in those 3 but ND does not.

JMHO.
That just may be the case but with the exception of Camara. She has been out for so long, she would need game time minutes before being thrown into the ND game. Or Geno just wants her to rest/heal for another few days.

Reaction Score
That just may be the case but with the exception of Camara. She has \been out for so long, she would need game time minutes before being thrown into the ND game. Or Geno just wants her to rest/heal for another few days.

The three of you are right: Geno WAS preparing for ND, especially with Z. Heal Touly KLS--heal!
All too much about Defensive break down--yes it happened--no denying that. Ask yourselves --WHY? 7700 mile trip, did you see the size of those back packs--the kids left the kitchen sink back home, nothing else. They've been living out of a suitcase for what, 6/7 or more days?
There were some D breakdowns that should not have happened--true. Geno, did you see his "tell", he saw things he couldn't immediately on the spot fix. \
For going on 2 years this is an interesting team: Every game a different high scorer. KIA--WOW.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Geno said he expects her back for ND, she lost her boot, and was seen running up and down the arena steps before the game last night which is a pretty good sign that her foot is ok.
Hope that's the case. Is one-for-two an acceptable percentage for a tweet?

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
... Kyla must be doing something right in practice as this was the second game in a row she got in relatively early. She came in for Z in the first quarter today game. I like that she's not afraid to mix it up down low, or set a screen up high, and can hit from 3 though it's too bad she can't jump so her defense is limited to positioning and getting her arms straight up.

Kyla does not always get the rebound but, she usually blocks out the player she is guarding. As to Walker, she was weak on defense tonight...

Let's be honest: Bent and Irwin will eventually be getting "walk-on" minutes
Bent can't pass or defend.
Irwin is slow, can't jump and can't defend.

Last night Geno was very clever as he used Bent and Irwin to keep the score down. It was a quite a clever tactic actually. If he brings in the freshmen there obviously is an increased chance of hitting 120 and no way Geno wants that as they were doing him a favor in playing UCONN. This allowed him (and you heard it in his presser) to throw nice compliments, while describing the disparity in size, skill and athleticism.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score

Last night Geno was very clever as he used Bent and Irwin to keep the score down. It was a quite a clever tactic actually. If he brings in the freshmen there obviously is an increased chance of hitting 120 and no way Geno wants that as they were doing him a favor in playing UCONN. This allowed him (and you heard it in his presser) to throw nice compliments, while describing the disparity in size, skill and athleticism.

Ok, let's be real honest... your post says more about you than it does about Bent and Irwin... :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Ok let's! I don't think you know what your are talking about and you are trying to be cute and failing. Kyla played 11 minutes last night, made every shot she took moved the ball brilliantly and rebounded well. Not exactly someone trying to keep the score down now was it?

Reaction Score
Hope that's the case. Is one-for-two an acceptable percentage for a tweet?
No idea what you're talking about with respect to tweets. I'm basing it on what Geno said and what has been reported by the media.

Reaction Score
Admire Irwin for being fearless and relentless on the court. That being said, she typically gets beaten under basket when offensive player is near her height. Limits her ability to play against the bigger teams such as Texas.

Reaction Score

Please do not say anything bad about Molly's basketball prowess. Trust me

Reaction Score
Ok let's! I don't think you know what your are talking about and you are trying to be cute and failing. Kyla played 11 minutes last night, made every shot she took moved the ball brilliantly and rebounded well. Not exactly someone trying to keep the score down now was it?

Totally agree. Kyla has game and clearly is working her butt off at practice. I could not be more happy for Kyla. I can see her getting better and better if she continues to get 10-15 minutes a game.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Ok, let's be real honest... your post says more about you than it does about Bent and Irwin... :rolleyes:

Please do not say anything bad about Molly's basketball prowess. Trust me

Totally agree. Kyla has game and clearly is working her butt off at practice. I could not be more happy for Kyla. I can see her getting better and better if she continues to get 10-15 minutes a game.

I like that you jump to their defense as it were. But, truth is truth......Soooo, We shall see....

Reaction Score
Zorro , I don't think she's in the dog house. I think he is going to play her a lot in the next game against ND.

I would be shocked(barring injury or early foul trouble) if any of the freshman besides Walker play anything more than garbage minutes in the ND game! Samuelson will be back so she will eat up a lot of the minutes and Coach Auriemma has shown in the past that he shortens the bench considerably in big games.

HGN

Reaction Score
I would be shocked(barring injury or early foul trouble) if any of the freshman besides Walker play anything more than garbage minutes in the ND game! Samuelson will be back so she will eat up a lot of the minutes and Coach Auriemma has shown in the past that he shortens the bench considerably in big games.
TT, you could be right. But I think Andi will get in the ND game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom