What Happened Last Time A Frosh Started ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Happened Last Time A Frosh Started ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Is there any way you can talk about UConn and their point guard situation without bringing Tennessee into it? I'm sure there are other examples you can use with either UConn teams of the past or other teams.
thank you

BTW I didnt know they won TWO titles in the last 5yrs :cool:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Is Paige Sauer still the head recruiting coach at Northern Colorado? i know she was an assistant at fairfield for a while...

Reaction Score
Is Paige Sauer still the head recruiting coach at Northern Colorado? i know she was an assistant at fairfield for a while...

A quick check of the Northen Colorado website reveals that Ms Sauer was last on the coaching staff two seasons ago, and there does not appear to be any news releases regarding her departure from the program. Hopefully, someone else out there knows a little more. I remember her interview with Meghan during the Cancun Holiday tournament a few years ago.

Reaction Score
Can you expand on this?

Responding to this quote from VAMaike 23, "I think in many cases, and certainly in Caroline's case, Geno has been one to show great faith and loyalty and is not at all the 'what have you done for me lately' type," - my comment regarding former players, Sauer and Hansmeyer, was my attempt to counter the argument about Coach Auriemma not being a 'what have you done for me lately' type.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Responding to this quote from VAMaike 23, "I think in many cases, and certainly in Caroline's case, Geno has been one to show great faith and loyalty and is not at all the 'what have you done for me lately' type," - my comment regarding former players, Sauer and Hansmeyer, was my attempt to counter the argument about Coach Auriemma not being a 'what have you done for me lately' type.
I understood that. I was looking for how that applied with those two players? I did see that someone else said your comparison was "apples and oranges", and I tend to agree with that assesment.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Thanks VA. To refresh fading memories, during the 1999-2000 season, Sauer lost her starting center status to Kelly Schumacker but accepted her role as a backup and played her heart out. "Bam Bam" Hansmeyer was an early-off-the-bench aggressive forward. Both quality UConn players in every way.

I think it was the second round of the NCAA playoffs being played at Gampel and the competition to get past this round and to the Final Four was getting tough. Nonetheless, Geno started both these players in their last senior game at Gampel. Both players have expressed their eternal gratitude to Geno and, to his credit, he was totally unapologetic about his decision to have them start in this critical game.

In case you forgot, they won, went to the Final Four, and beat Tennessee to win the NC.

This kinda blows a big hole in the suggestion that Geno is interested only in "What have you done for me lately?"

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I ha forgotten all about that game! Thanks for that refresh of yet another moment that makes me proud to be a UConn fan.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Everyone expects KML to be a special player. The question is "how special" (and UConn fans are blessed to have experienced many levels of special over the years) and "how quickly" (UConn fans have been blessed enough to see kids turn into trascendent players relatively early in their careers or over time).

I don't think that KML-Doty is a necessary dichotomy. KML is a versatile player who can easily play the 2, 3, and possibly even the 4 (I thought she was a terrific rebounder at the HS level, but time will tell as far as whether she can- and whether we want her- banging the glass at the college level as a frosh). In other words, if she's someone who Geno will be able to rely on for offense, he can choose who he wants to take out so that she can stay in.

Caroline deserves the opportunity to play as much as she can. Yes, she started on a team with an unbeatable pair of aces AND Kalana, so it's not like Geno needed a dominant backcourt in 2009-10. But she was the starting PG on a NC-winnng team, and no one else on this UConn squad can say that. This team is not lacking for talent, but it is a bit lacking in experience. KML is a tremendous weapon, but this isn't her team. An investment in KML's development this year will pay huge dividends in the future. A healthy dose of Caroline will pay huge dividends in the present.

And don't forget Bria. She has an "it" quality that I really hope to see shine through over the next couple of years. I dream of a transcendently brilliant women's college basketball team in 2013-14, and she would be a big part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom