What Exactly is Practice Like? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Exactly is Practice Like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Vital or Jackson. This is something that extends into early last year, in fact that's when the discussion with said player took place, so injuries were not a factor at the time.
You're right...Purvis should be cut.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Reading comprehension is a worthwhile skill...you did pick up on my comment re their performance prior to the injuries. Also, didn't say anything about coming in hot at the end of the season. Agreed, we always dominates early games....except sometimes like a loss to Yale... happens sometimes. Need to lower expectations, it's going to be ugly. How old are you by the way?
I'm 10, how old are you?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
And we should play whom instead of Purvis given the injuries?
I will see that Purvis play...the one where he streaked with the ball from the near corner through the defense to the front of the basket, jumps up for a clear three foot shot and...HE MISSED THE SHOT!!!!...in my sleep tonight.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Unless Noyes, Lomotey and Foxen are hurt then he's full of it. They're not good players, but they're available bodies. You can absolutely run 5 on 5.

They should at least be good enough to practice against, it's not all that easy to become a walk on at a Division 1 school. A cousin of mine was a walk on at URI in the early 00s and was a legitimate talent.

Reaction Score
its insane that ollie said that, the guy has been leaking bad quotes all year. like the one after losing to NE, "I'm sure everyone else has given up...but not me". If he's not running 5v5 to practice basic action vs man or a zone then he is has given up on practice. What else could he possibly be doing? Practicing brimah/facey/enoch post ups 10 ft from the basic? using the shooting machine?

Reaction Score
I'm 10, how old are you?
Old enough to remember the ECAC, BIG EAST and the players associated with those times leading up to the our National Championships. Actually played against some of those from the ECAC days. Been on this board since the beginning each and everyday. Don't normally post rather like reading others posts from within the state.
You're response as to your age might not be accurate in actual years but seems spot on emotionally.
The University, program and state need your support rather than vitriol. Let's not go down the Football Board road, MBB earned our support.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Old enough to remember the ECAC, BIG EAST and the players associated with those times leading up to the our National Championships. Actually played against some of those from the ECAC days. Been on this board since the beginning each and everyday. Don't normally post rather like reading others posts from within the state.
You're response as to your age might not be accurate in actual years but seems spot on emotionally.
The University, program and state need your support rather than vitriol. Let's not go down the Football Board road, MBB earned our support.
Cool story bro. Please go to the Alumni foundation building tomorrow for an additional sticker on your "fan card".

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Cool story bro. Please go to the Alumni foundation building tomorrow for an additional sticker on your "fan card".
Any donation is piss-poor effort unless you fork over $5.00 million.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Any donation is piss-poor effort unless you fork over $5.00 million.
If I had that kind of money I would give it to UConn, I really would.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
maybe the boombox from the Perno years is back

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
After Taylor Rooks showed up in her swimsuit, things rapidly degenerated.

Reaction Score
shushi breaks with raspberry colonics and aroma therapy?

Reaction Score
People keep saying it's not a talent issue. But has anyone considered maybe Ollie just isn't a good evaluator of talent? Guys ranked highly in high school recruit rankings are way over ranked every year, outside of the top 20 it's largely a crapshoot. Ollie gets guys who have basketball player bodies but lack fundamental skills, this is a theme all too common from all the big time players he's landed outside of Adams really, and even his game is far from perfect. Purvis is the prime example. I've heard from players who graduated last year that Ollie treats Purvis as "his guy", his main recruit which is why he continues to get so much burn despite being so ineffective, it's an example of favoritism.
I have considered it, along with him just not being good at player development and not being good at coaching Xs and Os and even being mentally checked out for whatever reason. Who knows what it is but many of us know that all the excuses in the world can't explain what we have seen the last 2 1/2 years. Something is wrong...VERY wrong.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
People keep saying it's not a talent issue. But has anyone considered maybe Ollie just isn't a good evaluator of talent? Guys ranked highly in high school recruit rankings are way over ranked every year, outside of the top 20 it's largely a crapshoot. Ollie gets guys who have basketball player bodies but lack fundamental skills, this is a theme all too common from all the big time players .
Adams, Larrier and Gilbert have talent. I think Hamilton too. Vital looks pretty good so far.

Reaction Score
People keep saying it's not a talent issue. But has anyone considered maybe Ollie just isn't a good evaluator of talent? Guys ranked highly in high school recruit rankings are way over ranked every year, outside of the top 20 it's largely a crapshoot. Ollie gets guys who have basketball player bodies but lack fundamental skills, this is a theme all too common from all the big time players he's landed outside of Adams really, and even his game is far from perfect. Purvis is the prime example. I've heard from players who graduated last year that Ollie treats Purvis as "his guy", his main recruit which is why he continues to get so much burn despite being so ineffective, it's an example of favoritism.

This is the part that bothers me. I tried not to believe it, and told myself I was being too judgmental, but the more I watch the more I see a team full of low basketball-IQ players that lack fundamental basketball skills (minus a few players like Jalen, Alterique, and Larrier). Maybe it isn't Ollie. Maybe he has gotten unlucky for the past few years. Or, maybe I'm just overreacting. After all, while DHam was frustrating to watch at times, you can't really question his basketball IQ.

All I'm saying is that Ollie has landed some highly rated recruits in Facey, Enoch, Durham, and has been working with guys like Brimah and Purvis for years, and often it feels like these guys either have zero confidence or lack fundamental skills. How many times have we seen a big guy dribble the ball underneath the basket and either falling over (without a foul) or getting stripped instead of keeping the ball high, seeking contact, and going up strong with it. Basic things like this are not happening, game after game.

I don't want to pile onto the negativity, so I'm not going to start bashing every player for things that they do (or don't do). Aside from Jalen, shots have not been falling for our guys all season. Maybe that will change and discussions like this go away. But sometimes, it's painfully obvious how soft and silly some of our guys are with and without the ball.

Reaction Score
I can not even watch our games anymore because we are so bad defensively. It honestly makes me sick how all it takes is an offensive player two dribbles in any direction to get right to the rim. That tells me that our practices are nonchalant and garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom