What does this forum tell us about UCWBB fans? | The Boneyard

What does this forum tell us about UCWBB fans?

Reaction Score
One of the many things I enjoy about reading this forum is that regular contributors tend to participate in a way that reflects the values of the team we all follow. This is to say that quite often, the various posts aim for precision and teamwork. There is cooperation, genuine dialogue, movement forward, the sharing of information, a mutual respect for others within and outside of the "group". Mean-spiritedness rarely shows itself. There is very little "one on one". Ideas are passed around, often until someone finds the right shot. And we all end up enriched by a team effort and experience.

What other ways do you think this forum and UCWBB fans reflect the values of the team we follow?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
To me, the most striking similarity the BY shares with the UConn program is the incredibly high standards and expectations. It may seem that if a UConn player does not perform very well (even if she is generally great), we are often quite hard on them and that may seem harsh and unfeeling. However, our angst does not compare to the level applied by the coaches and even more so, the players themselves. How often have we heard from UConn players from different periods that after a loss, the feeling was unbearable and honest self assessment was crucial to move forward.

Only by expecting perfection can we get close and this lesson will ultimately provide the greatest foundation for our beloved ream members after they graduate. :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is a relentless stubbornness among many BY posters, including yours truly. I'm not sure where that comes from.

Is there anyone associated with UConn Women's Basketball that demonstrates a relentlessly stubborn streak? A coach perhaps.....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Connie... Welcome aboard...
Love your post here.
Noticed you just joined.

I was just wondering if you or anyone had the same trouble I did registering to join the BY?

You know that question they ask to see if you're a robot or not:
Verification:
First name of women's bb coach if it were spelled with a J instead of a G

Was it just me, or did anyone else have a problem getting that answer?

I shouldn't admit it, but it took me about a month to get by that question. I tried to register each day.

In my thinking, I was searching all over the net to find a women's bb coach (from another team) whose name began with a G. I think I also read it a woman who is a women's bb coach.

One day I woke up!

Reaction Score
I think to a large extent, similiar to many team members, BY'ers are willing to not take themselves too seriously and are ready to admit they're wrong when that applies. I think, similar to team member media interviews, BY'ers
are open and, for the most part, thoughtful in their comments and try to stay away from negativity. Finally, I find BYers to be welcoming and respectful of other members and, not unlike team players, more than willing to compliment one another when a good "point" is made!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Connie.. Welcome aboard..
Love your post here.
Noticed you just joined.

I was just wondering if you or anyone had the same trouble I did registering to join the BY?

Verification:

I shouldn't admit it, but it took me about a month to get by that question. I tried to register each day.

In my thinking, I was searching all over the net to find a women's bb coach (from another team) whose name began with a G. I think I also read it a woman who is a women's bb coach.

One day I woke up!

Be careful. they may still revoke your privileges. Never admit weakness. :cool:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One of the many things I enjoy about reading this forum is that regular contributors tend to participate in a way that reflects the values of the team we all follow. This is to say that quite often, the various posts aim for precision and teamwork. There is cooperation, genuine dialogue, movement forward, the sharing of information, a mutual respect for others within and outside of the "group". Mean-spiritedness rarely shows itself. There is very little "one on one". Ideas are passed around, often until someone finds the right shot. And we all end up enriched by a team effort and experience.

What other ways do you think this forum and UCWBB fans reflect the values of the team we follow?

Does this read like high school test short answer question to anyone else?

Defining characteristics of the WBB forum:

1) Knowledge. There are ton of people who know the game very well and even more who know UConn history really well. But the board as a whole is also very knowledgeable about woman's basketball in general. FWIW, there's also a lot of collective knowledge on pretty much any topic.

2) Complete and unabashed love for kids, the coaches, and the program. We're a fan site. We get to see things through national flag blue colored glasses, and we do. That's part of the fun of coming here.

3) Humor. As with most of the Boneyard, there are a lot of funny people here.

4) Tolerance for differing opinions and fans. You'd think that would be given on a fan forum, but it is often not the case on other boards.

Taken together, it make the BY a great place to visit. My hat's off to Nan and the mods. I'm sure it takes a lot work to keep it that way. I don't always agree with individual decisions, but overall they do a great job.

Keep posting Connie, I enjoy reading your perspective as a new member.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Love your post here.
Noticed you just joined.

Verification:

One day I woke up!
They should ask if it's spelled with an "i" or an "e". That would really screen out some undesirables. :cool:

Reaction Score
Be careful. they may still revoke your privileges. Never admit weakness. :cool:
But, eebmg...
My theory is that if I reveal all first, no one can blackmail me later!

Am I wrong?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What does this forum tell us about UCWBB fans?
They're old. Kinda curmudgeon. Have lots of time on their hands. Easily offended. Very parental or grandparental or great-grandparental (see the first sentence ;)) in relation to "our girls". Defenders of the faith. But mostly, they're old. :cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Love your post here.
Noticed you just joined.

Verification:

One day I woke up!
Luckily for me, I don't think they had a test when I joined! Didn't realize that the BY had raised it's standards! :) (Not that it shows particularly!! :eek::rolleyes::cool:)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And I can't believe no one has talked about the coaches we have here on the BY - the best in the fan forum universe, just like our team! Moderators with iron will and discipline! Geno may be fierce, but don't you dare mess with Nan, Biff, and JS.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
The moderators here make sure that the established boundaries of what is appropriate are not crossed.

Plus, I have college age daughters that provide a perspective that kicks in automatically when I am tempted to criticize a player.

My only frustration with an otherwise fabulous board, is that I enjoy speculating or projecting about future rosters. Guessing that so and so might transfer because of playing time is a strict no no. I understand I guess but making a statement like that is not a personal attack rather than a guess of how the master figures out his roster numbers.

Reaction Score
They're old. Kinda curmudgeon. Have lots of time on their hands. Easily offended. Very parental or grandparental or great-grandparental (see the first sentence ;)) in relation to "our girls". Defenders of the faith. But mostly, they're old. :cool:
I resemble that remark! ;) However, I am probably on the "young whippersnapper" edge of the demographic compared to a lot of the people in this group.

Reaction Score
Love your post here.
Noticed you just joined.

Verification:

One day I woke up!
Which school did you go to?
Don't know a UConn student or grad that doesn't know this.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
And I can't believe no one has talked about the coaches we have here on the BY - the best in the fan forum universe, just like our team! Moderators with iron will and discipline! Geno may be fierce, but don't you dare mess with Nan, Biff, and JS.
Some of our methods may be a bit direct ....but they are effective!

woodchip.gif

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Best thing about this board,to me,is you can always give your opinion,as long as it is in a civil and respectful way.
Also,the posters here always make me think of my own opinion as to whether I was knowledgeable on the subject or just passing wind.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Surely it's the absolute lack of parity with any other WCBB forums. Frankly, I'm not sure the BY is good for the forum game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There is, however, a way to be critical without being mean-spirited.
Some on here definitely need to learn that. I'm constantly amazed when I read people saying "you are absolutely nuts" or "what a stupid post/comment", or variations of that directed at an individual. I totally get disagreeing with people, even vehemently, but the nasty snark is surprising to see coming from people who aren't 5 years old and should know better. I've read posts and not been the least surprised to see the mods delete them or modify them with follow up comments admonishing the offender. There are a million ways to disagree without being disagreeable...

I also want to add that it does bug me some of the continuous criticisms of players, especially during a game when someone isn't playing well, or makes a series of mistakes. I used to occasionally (very occasionally lol) be guilty of this and for a while I stopped posting in the live-time game chat. It's one thing to point out that a player isn't playing well, or whatever, but some of the folks go overboard...

Having said that I often marvel at the sheer amount of knowledge on this board. I like to think I know a fair amount about UCONN and WCBB, but it pales in comparison to some of the stuff people seem to know off the top of their heads. I also always appreciate when people actually go out and find some facts to post. Often some of the disagreements end up not being based in reality and it's refreshing to see people actually post facts to back up the point one, or another, is trying to make.

I don't think there are any boards in WCBB that are even close to as active as this one. I love seeing the fans from other teams on here. I have no idea how many fans of primarily other schools also visit the BY, but it feels like a LOT. The diversity on the board is pretty mind boggling too. Women, men, old, young, black, white, others of color, gay, straight, politically left/right, religious, spiritual, atheist, etc etc. You name it, I bet someone on here is it...

Lastly, I absolutely love it when someone on her scoops reporters, and pretty much everyone else in WCBB. Someone will find a random tweet by a high school player, and suddenly we all know FIRST what school XYZ player has chosen, or what schools they have narrowed their list to. And add to that the stuff we learn about the high school kids - I don't think anywhere else in WCBB can a person find as much info about HS kids we are recruiting, or that we should be recruiting. Great stuff and much appreciated!

Reaction Score
Connie,your last sentence makes me think you are a teacher.Are you.

Reaction Score
Not a teacher. Just trying in my own bland way to invite comment. On reflection, I readily acknowledge that the effort does sound a bit schoolmarmish. That wasn't my intent. But then, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom