What does Geno do with Dorka? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What does Geno do with Dorka?

Reaction Score
Are you referring to the person that Geno had start the 2nd half?
I thought it was the Matchup that got SC off and running in the 2nd half. I was talking to the TV and that's a bad sign. She could not handle Boston at all. Aaliyah handles Boston OK she is strong enough not to get bulled to the basket. The 4th quarter was a gassed UConn team that played too many minutes over a three-game in three days span.

Reaction Score
Weren’t some of y’all replacing Liv with her??
That will not be the case. I actually have a dream ( without which I have trouble seeing major change ). My dream is that Piath Gabriel emerges. She has had a UCONN year. She knows the system. Geno saw something in her that he liked. So she must have what it takes....If she can become a force, it would be a difference maker. She has size, strength, and athleticism. She just doesn't have the MCDONALDS AA pedigree. Can our coaches get her to the next level? The Big East would seem an ideal training ground. Anyway, thats my dream ( odds - 5%? ). What's your dream?

Reaction Score
UConn women’s basketball requires players to read and react rather than just go in there and run set plays. As I watched Dorka play yesterday afternoon, I felt like she is still too much in her own head, almost like she’s narrating her own actions to herself. “Screen, now roll to the basket, hands up …”. That’s not unusual for people new to the system. It will take time for her to be playing intuitively. She also, speak as she is, need some time in the weight room. She gets shoved around a lot. The first issue will continually get better throughout the year, but the second one isn’t going to get resolved until she works out in the off-season.

There is a tendency on The Boneyard to think all incoming players are going to transition seamlessly and will immediately be better than anyone on the team. It is incredibly rare that that happens. Once players don’t live up to the unrealistic expectation placed on them, there is a tendency to blame the player and suggest that they will never be any good. We see it season after season. It is what it is.

Maybe we should wait until this team has, oh I don’t know, 10 games under his belt, before we start writing off players in their potential contribution?

As one of the BY’ers who urged caution to many who jumped on the bandwagon about Dorka as Liv’s replacement. I now urge caution again to those BY’ers who feel Dorka may not become a key contributor for UConn.

As a number of folks have pointed out, learning UConn’s system is difficult, even for a senior honors student who was All Big Ten. Dorka has some limitations athletically, but her biggest problem may simply be that she just needs to relax and play the game.

UConn needs Dorka to be a solid contributor this season. I am pulling for her to learn her role, gain some confidence and make an impact. Whether that happens as a starter or coming off the bench shouldn’t matter.
As God doesn't make garbage, I believe Geno rarely picks up, experienced, kids without a plan. Oldude, thank you for this. Dorka needs help on the BY as well as on the court. Good ball players can't be kept down, thanks.
Excuse the above --somehow, I got 2 posts in one. I'll learn, I hope!!

Reaction Score
Dorka's smart, very smart.
She's Hungarian, and, as my Hungarian wife reminds me often, Hungary, a country of 11million people, has the most Nobel prizes of any country, us included.
So let's give her a minute.
Her body will easily catch up with her mind.
The US is first in Nobel Prizes with 398.
Hungary is 15th with 13.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uconn's system is all read and react. Successful players here have always been the ones with high BB IQs, not necessarily the most athletic. You can see it in the types of recruits that come in year and year out.

I have always thought this is why a lot of freshman at other programs are able to contribute more immediately, but often gain less development than those that choose Storrs. I would venture to guess, that changing the way you play and think on the court causes a lot of overthinking and hesitancy. When it clicks, it will click. Dorka will get there at some point, she seems to be a smart player.

I do sometimes wonder if sometimes Geno could simplify things for players to make it easier. I recall a few years back when we had one of our weaker groups, Geno said in a lot of press conferences that they as a staff were trying to make everything as simple as they possibly could to help the on court success. However, his system has built the most dominant dynasty in the game, so I tend to trust what his instincts are.
I agree with everything you said!! I wish it wouldn’t take so long for players to get the system. Does it have to be so difficult? I mean some players never learn it. I wish they could draw up some simple plays some of the time. The read and react system requires a fast thinker. Split second decisions.

Reaction Score
Dorka is adjusting to a new system. A two time Big Ten first teamer has proven talent. The problem is more that the UConn coaching staff hasn’t yet figured out how to work their deep talent into the system. If the coaches are as good as we all think they are, they will.

Well said. I agree 100%. Dorka is a smart player and she will adapt to the offensive system we are running. Defensively, she has never been a lock down player. Heck nobody is anymore. A few rare ones out there but not many. She does well for what is asked of her on the defensive end. But in the end, the coaching staff will figure how to get this talented lady involved more. Big East play is just around the corner. Dorka is going to have one of those games where she just goes off, like Azzi had one of those games. Like Caroline Ducharme had a game like that. It is going to happen.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Perhaps Hungary has the most per capita???????. Too lazy to do the math.
I cannot find my Nobel prize just now. I think it is in the attic in a box. But Hungary edges us on a per capita basis. I asked Google, and he knew the answer. I suppose he has a laureate or two. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom