What does Geno do with Dorka? | The Boneyard

What does Geno do with Dorka?

Reaction Score
She had the same number of turnovers as she had points and rebounds combined. She does not fit into this offense.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I don't know if Geno knows what role Dorka should be playing. We were told she was a decent 3-pt shooter but hasn't made one yet. She doesn't seem to be in good position under the basket to challenge their post players, and as far as I have see she only has that one move to the left to score up close. At times she looks lost, so what is her role? She is not doing any posting up, very little shots being taken, and those haven't gone in. Geno has to decide, what role does he want her to play. For me, I want her under the hoop to get rebounds. She doesn't appear to be the all around player we thought, so what Geno decides going forward will determine if she will be a positive factor for us.

Reaction Score
Dorka is adjusting to a new system. A two time Big Ten first teamer has proven talent. The problem is more that the UConn coaching staff hasn’t yet figured out how to work their deep talent into the system. If the coaches are as good as we all think they are, they will.

Reaction Score
If you are not quick you better be able to fight for position and box out real well. Trying to match the SC bigs with our bigs did not work. They had the advantage.

Reaction Score
Geno, and especially Chris and Jamelle, work with Dorka. She’s not a finished product. She’s smart and hard-working, she’ll get it.
She'll be 22 in a few weeks and is in her 4th season of college basketball. I think we need to be realistic in our expectations of how much players can improve from this point forward in their collegiate careers. Same can be said of our seniors. At this late stage they are what they are.

HGN

Reaction Score
This was just one(1) game people. Just 1game! What does Geno do with Dorka , as with the whole team , you get better. You work and practice even harder. You fix your mistakes.

The one thing you don't do is throw out the baby with the bath water.

Reaction Score
She'll be 22 in a few weeks and is in her 4th season of college basketball. I think we need to be realistic in our expectations of how much players can improve from this point forward in their collegiate careers. Same can be said of our seniors. At this late stage they are what they are.
You'll recall Chloe Pavlech saying she learned things as a Graduate Assistant at UConn that she had never heard before. She played at Maryland. So there is room for improvement, possibly even more so than the other seniors because she may be hearing things for the first time and is now getting to use them in real competition. From the physical standpoint, players improve after they become professionals so it seems to me they can improve at that age while still in college. My point is to give her a chance.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And this was her 4th game in Geno's system, which I believe 99.9 % of BYers would agree, is totally different and harder than the Buckeye's.
So yes, it is possible for her to improve.
Will she become a starter? Anyone's guess. But hopefully she fits in and can contribute. And the same for every newcomer.

Reaction Score
You may be right but I’ve been around sports for a long time and I’ve seen kids who were superstars in middle school and peaked then, and progressed no more. Others peaked in high school, others in college. My take with both soccer and basketball but I suppose this could apply to most anything sports related.

Reaction Score
Not sure you can continue to yank out bigs immediately after they make a mistake. While its early in the year, at some point Geno may want to let them play through a full quarter or more. Edwards in particular has had her minutes cut in a random fashion. I am a big fan of giving DeBerry minutes but that is another post for another time. Concerned that the upcoming league schedule will not be helpful in determining who matches up best with the top10 teams.

Reaction Score
First, the team needs to get through the embarrassing loss to S.C......Geno and the coaching staff will figure out how to get the player's confidence back and then slowly make some changes. I'm a lot less worried about Dorka's play than Nika or AE.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Did those of you disparaging Dorka's play notice that she had 3 of UConn's 6 offensive rebounds in yesterday's game? And that was in just 19 minutes, the least minutes of UConn's three post players?

Reaction Score
First, the team needs to get through the embarrassing loss to S.C......Geno and the coaching staff will figure out how to get the player's confidence back and then slowly make some changes. I'm a lot less worried about Dorka's play than Nika or AE.
First, your team needs to forget that game temporarily and go out to "whup" some teams.

Let Geno worry about it and install corrections on a schedule he feels is appropriate.

IT'S ONE GAME FOLKS!!

Reaction Score
Not sure you can continue to yank out bigs immediately after they make a mistake. While its early in the year, at some point Geno may want to let them play through a full quarter or more. Edwards in particular has had her minutes cut in a random fashion. I am a big fan of giving DeBerry minutes but that is another post for another time. Concerned that the upcoming league schedule will not be helpful in determining who matches up best with the top10 teams.
AE minutes cut in a random fashion? She had a really bad first quarter yesterday. Was he supposed to leave her in?

And omg on the "give them game minutes" line. Has anyone been paying attention for the last 37 years? That is not how Geno coaches. If that's what you're hoping for, I suggest you find a new coach/team to follow.

Reaction Score
The Post player unfairly will be forever the blame in UCONN system. We do not use our Post players like most programs. They're Screeners and High post facilitators with an occasional screen and roll or Low box post up. Geno has openly showed little to no patience with post players and it has shown with all the experimentation of lineups. Aliyah starts first half and Dorka starts second half of the biggest game of the year. So much for continuity and belief in your players. Watched every game of SC this year and to Dawn Staley's credit she coaches inside out poor play or not. It's about the evolvement of the post play. So when march comes they're ready because they been called on all season. No mix messages. Dawn said when they allow Aliyah to play without the stripes stopping her then she can't be stopped. You see it's the mindset from start to finish.

Also lets remember, Dorka is fresh off injury and she getting acclimated to a whole new system. She's not number one option like at Ohio State, so she's having to learn how to impact the game in a way she hasn't been asked to.

Reaction Score
Dorka's smart, very smart.
She's Hungarian, and, as my Hungarian wife reminds me often, Hungary, a country of 11million people, has the most Nobel prizes of any country, us included.
So let's give her a minute.
Her body will easily catch up with her mind.

Reaction Score
If you are not quick you better be able to fight for position and box out real well. Trying to match the SC bigs with our bigs did not work. They had the advantage.
We only have a few games to judge these players so, things could change pretty drastically. But based on what I’ve seen so far you have described Dorka. Her contribution should be a big body to help control things in the paint.

ONO is ONO for better or worse. She will have some great games once the Conference schedule starts.

For me, The whole thing about our bigs relies on AE. I thought that she would be a big part of the team’s success and show that UCONN has more than one candidate for AA consideration. I still believe. Just can’t understand what’s going on.

One thing for sure. Mir didn’t enter yesterdays game at that point because Geno was delighted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom