What does everyone think of the rule changes this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What does everyone think of the rule changes this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I wish they would mandate the same ball, same no-charge arc, and same shot clock for both men and women.

Reaction Score
My eighth grader granddaughter took time out from Christmas dinner to explain the commutative properties of math to me so I know that two halves are the same as four quarters, and that "1 and 1" and "two" are the same as well. So I have no problem.

By going to quarters, there is one less TV timeout per half.

Reaction Score
I agree with Oldbones regarding the elimination of the 1 and 1. It has always seemed to me
to be a structural imperfection of the game of basketball to allow a team to gain an advantage
by committing a foul. With the new rule they can still gain an advantage by fouling but it's
not as big an advantage.

I would rather see a team rewarded for working and executing to build a significant lead over
the first 38.5 minutes of the game than see a team rewarded for stealing the game by fouling
over the last 90 seconds.

Reaction Score
No and no for those very reasons. Also because of the frequent height mismatches involved, and how it slowed the games progress.

Jostling for position is time consuming and thous it slows the game. I never heard the height argument before as the reason for ending jump balls. It's Christmas so I'll give you that one.

Reaction Score
I would like to see "jump ball " possession determined by a randomizer gadget. Mostly because I would like the team causing the tie-up to always have a chance at possession. Not a big deal though.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Jostling for position is time consuming and thous it slows the game. I never heard the height argument before as the reason for ending jump balls. It's Christmas so I'll give you that one.
Jostling for position while the clock is running slows the game? How's that? Unfair height advantages, the human element in tossing the jump ball, added time to set it up, all add up to a nonsense device in the middle of a basketball game.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I would like to see "jump ball " possession determined by a randomizer gadget. Mostly because I would like the team causing the tie-up to always have a chance at possession. Not a big deal though.
How about playground basketball style, where the team that scores gets the ball again, whether they score by a foul shot or by a field goal. Until they turn it over, or miss a shot and don't get the rebound, they keep going. I could imagine some spectacular runs, and UCONN not getting much opportunity to play defense.

Reaction Score
Jostling for position while the clock is running slows the game? How's that? Unfair height advantages, the human element in tossing the jump ball, added time to set it up, all add up to a nonsense device in the middle of a basketball game.

You don't remember refs having to sort out players trying to get prime position around the circle? This was very often time consuming. At the time, the consensus was changing the rule was good for the flow of the game.

Reaction Score

Arrow Points to the Jump Ball's Demise

This is a really good NY Times article that discusses the history of the jump ball. It supports what I have been saying. It also supports some of what you are saying, but I have the possession arrow.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You don't remember refs having to sort out players trying to get prime position around the circle? This was very often time consuming. At the time, the consensus was changing the rule was good for the flow of the game.
Then we are talking about the same thing, jostling for position before the jump ball. I don't have an issue with it to start the game. Otherwise, it's a waste of time, effort, and too prone to the vagaries being human. I agree with Hank Nichols in the article. I'd rather see a basketball game, not a circus trick.

Reaction Score
Regarding #2 - it does advance the ball in the last minute of the game. Same as last year. Done 3 times by Arizona and their opponent at the last game I was at. As always, you have to call the time out before you do anything with the ball. The visitors questioned Arizona's use of the advance in one case, but officials explained that the HC had called the time out before the ball was in-bounded, and a second or 2 was put back on the game clock.

As someone said, they are almost all from last year. I find the quarters format decreases the real time that a game runs (all other factors being equal, for example, fouls).

Instant replay is very limited. I wouldn't mind a "challenge" system (only 1 or 2 a game) for out-of-bounds plays, which officials can only check in "last 2? minutes" circumstances and maybe back-court violations, which I don't think they can check at all.

Your last paragraph---I'm not sure I fully understand it--but--I think if each team gets 2 challenges per game or one each half--would not kill the game flow-and would get coaches or fans to buy into some apparent bad calls and keep Refs legit.

Clock on the wall time has been decreased. The overall game is faster. I'm a defense fan.

Reaction Score
You know, the game has sped up nicely. I don't want to slow in down with lengthy challenges. Also challenges in basketball to me just don't affect the game as much as say football. For future changes I would maybe consider moving the 3 pt line back a foot and moving the restricted or "no charge" zone out to 4 feet. I would also like to see all sidelines and endlines in all arena's more clearly defined, and more room for out of bounds in both areas. Of course, better and more uniform officiating. I'd like to see one shot and possession for technical's. No team warning for throw-in violations. I'm also not a fan of tight outfits for young ladies who are boosters or cheerleaders. I just think we are sending the wrong message to viewers and young women.

I'd like to see those uniforms you refer to enhanced or tightened!! Viewer to get a pre game warning--so as not to damage the kiddies from seeing what I see.
I think the number of Technical foul shots should be determined by the audience's at the game. 1 to 10 determined by those present and the blatancy of the foul
Further---I thinks the Refs should wear tighter uniforms with brighter colors---each with a difference color combination--but not to clash with other refs.
Coaches should also were similar uniforms but only in the color combinations of their school.

At half time it should be mandate the Refs and Coach do routines and cheer for the respective schools.

If that is done---I'll be happy with the changes---well not happy --i only like changes I make.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'd like to see those uniforms you refer to enhanced or tightened!! Viewer to get a pre game warning--so as not to damage the kiddies from seeing what I see.
I think the number of Technical foul shots should be determined by the audience's at the game. 1 to 10 determined by those present and the blatancy of the foul
Further---I thinks the Refs should wear tighter uniforms with brighter colors---each with a difference color combination--but not to clash with other refs.
Coaches should also were similar uniforms but only in the color combinations of their school.

At half time it should be mandate the Refs and Coach do routines and cheer for the respective schools.

If that is done---I'll be happy with the changes---well not happy --i only like changes I make.
I've seen the light. Refs should at least were red hats.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if ALL the changes are for this season but off the top of my head:
  1. 4 quarters instead of 2 halves
  2. Calling a time out in the last minute does NOT advance the ball to past half court
  3. No 1 and 1 - teams get 2 FT's automatically after the 5th foul in any quarter
  4. Four time outs carry over into the 2nd half if not used
  5. No charge zones - where defenders can't plant themselves to take charges (or the "anti-ND rule)
  6. 2 handed touch fouls called
  7. Defenders can only place one hand or forearm on offensive players
  8. Instant replay reviews
There are several other rule changes involving color of shorts, team decals and promo material, conference and team logo placement, time the bands can play, etc, but these aren't really relevant to game play.

Personally, I can't find a single rule I don't like. Most of the rules seemed geared towards higher offensive games in that they limit what defenders can do. I wonder if scoring averages are up across WCBB, or if it's only had a negligible impact. What do the rest of you think?
You forgot one other major rule change from last year, the 10 second rule. (I think it came in the same time as these??). Which I like.

I also really like the 4 quarters and I really like the 2 FT rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom