What Do You Want to Say to this Year's Freshman Class? | The Boneyard

What Do You Want to Say to this Year's Freshman Class?

Reaction Score
This is for tomorrow night's game. I could ask what prom dresses you'd donate, but probably we'll get a better conversation if we discuss what we'd put in the time capsule.

rsz_screen_shot_2018-02-25_at_75920_pm.png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have no direct knowledge of anything regarding the freshmen except what we read and hear from Geno. The freshman, to my knowledge, have never been quoted regarding their struggles, benching, and astonishingly limited playing time, so my comments to them would be two fold:

If you struggled because in your heart, you know you did not give 100%, did not listen to the coaches, or did not follow any portion of what you were supposed to, then please put on your big girl pants and get going to achieve the potential the coaches saw in you when they first recruited you.

However, if you struggled because what was asked of you was simply beyond what you are capable of, then continue to try your best, lean on your teammates, and become the best players you can be.

Reaction Score
Wow. I didn't anticipate starting another fight over these wonderful kids.

I thought something like:

Congratulations on your 4 great years at UConn: for your terrific accomplishments in the classroom and on the court. You have done your families, the University, and yourselves proud. Very best of luck in your future endeavors.

Actually, that's what I'm going to drop off tomorrow night!

Reaction Score
Congratulations on completing your first regular season at UConn, in a four year journey to excellence, perhaps even perfection. Before you accepted your scholarship, You knew UConn Women's Basketball was "different"...and that it would challenge you athletically, physically and, more important, mentally. You came from High School programs where you were the Star, and in many cases a 1 Woman show. You joined a College Basketball Program that is all about TEAM. As Freshman you watched as others demonstrated a level of team work and execution that is unmatched in Women's College Basketball. It's not an easy journey...but if it was, anyone could do it...and as you experienced, not everyone can. Following that first season, you took time to reflect on the 2017/18 season and took stock of the areas you needed improve to make you one of the best basketball players and TEAMs in the Country. You knew you had the basketball skills (shooting, ball handling, court vision and knowledge) to be among the very best. At UConn you learned how to blend your skills with those of your teammates to achieve so very much. Your time at UConn has served you well. I know you will forever cherish the lessons learned at UConn and how they made you the best you could possibly be as a basketball player and more importantly as a Person. These lessons will serve you well in any endeavor you pursue after your days with Geno, CD, Shay and Marissa are behind you. You are part of a very small Sorority... UCONN Women's Basketball Players. I wish you every success in your future.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sounds like Carnac, Bags - though I very much like the prediction. I'd go with something like, "On Senior Night of your freshman year, you can know UConn fans have been pulling for you every moment on the court this season. We hope when you read this on your Senior Night you achieved every goal you brought to UConn. Best to you in your final collegiate tournaments."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just curious. Is the freshman time capsule a new idea or is this done every year?

My contribution.

" I hope you all experience everything you hoped for in coming to UConn and that you
look back on your stay with fondness as you go out in the world.

By the way, how does it feel to be part of the 15th NC? "

Reaction Score
OK, we are addressing the current freshman class with something to open in four years. I will start as I always do when I meet the players and thank them for coming to UConn. :) My note will continue with I hope you have stayed here an extra year for an advanced degree and not because of an injury. ;)

After that quote bags27...:D Congratulations on your 4 great years at UConn: for your terrific accomplishments in the classroom and on the court. You have done your families, the University, and yourselves proud. Very best of luck in your future endeavors.

Reaction Score
I have no direct knowledge of anything regarding the freshmen except what we read and hear from Geno. The freshman, to my knowledge, have never been quoted regarding their struggles, benching, and astonishingly limited playing time, so my comments to them would be two fold:

If you struggled because in your heart, you know you did not give 100%, did not listen to the coaches, or did not follow any portion of what you were supposed to, then please put on your big girl pants and get going to achieve the potential the coaches saw in you when they first recruited you.

However, if you struggled because what was asked of you was simply beyond what you are capable of, then continue to try your best, lean on your teammates, and become the best players you can be.

ERIC: very nicely done.

Reaction Score
To Megan: "Congrats on your 4th National Championship, 3rd first-team All-America selection, 2nd NPOY award, and on being the WNBA #1 overall draft pick."
Loving it, but really next year is Lou's, following year is Sabrina's, and Megan gets (only) one, in her senior year.

Reaction Score
Loving it, but really next year is Lou's, following year is Sabrina's, and Megan gets (only) one, in her senior year.
Agree on next year. Then time will tell - maybe they'll get a head-to head matchup in the tourney, although that would be too late for the voters.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Wow. I didn't anticipate starting another fight over these wonderful kids.

I thought something like:

Congratulations on your 4 great years at UConn: for your terrific accomplishments in the classroom and on the court. You have done your families, the University, and yourselves proud. Very best of luck in your future endeavors.

Actually, that's what I'm going to drop off tomorrow night!
And now they know, don't they? They will at least have three years to practice their "surprised" smiles when they open the capsule. :oops:

Reaction Score
It was hard, but I enjoyed the journey, and became a better person, and player. Thank you Geno, and CD.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Remember when you had Geno's picture on your dartboard? Remember when you spent half of you nights during the season in your room mired in self-pity because you were certain he hated you? Remember when you could not sustain any level of consistent play and experienced more failure in one week than you did in one year of high school? Remember when you called your parents begging to let you go someplace else and they wouldn't let you?. Remember how you felt every time you got his approval? Remember how you felt when you cut down the net? Remember telling freshmen everything you heard as a freshmen but didn't' believe or dismissed? Remember him calling you in a month ago to ask you about your latest future plans and the smile on his face, the same as any proud father? What happened? Growth. Maturity. Effort. Stubborness. Life is good and it is about to get a lot better.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Freshman year in college is part of the transformation of going from a youth or 17-18, to an adult at 22. It's a process and a journey (a gauntlet) that EVERY college student must experience. During your freshman year, you learn many things. All of the lessons learned are not in the classroom. Lessons about People, life and relationships and the various perceptions and expectations of others that are different than yours, as well as life away from home for the first time, are all things 18 year old freshmen are exposed to.

It's part of the maturation process. Freshman year is thought to be the toughest of the four years because of all of the "unknowns" that await you, and because of all the adjustments you have to make (lifestyle/time management, etc). The good thing about this is, living on campus, you're around other freshmen who are experiencing the same things, and you don't have to go through this period alone. You have a large peer group to share and bounce ideas and thoughts off of. You grow in every area of your life.

The 22 year old adult that walks across the stage on graduation day, is not the same 18 year old wide eyed :eek: freshman (having no idea what the next 4 years will be like) whose reluctant parents dropped them off on campus 4 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Remember when you had Geno's picture on your dartboard? Remember when you spent half of you nights during the season in your room mired in self-pity because you were certain he hated you? Remember when you could not sustain any level of consistent play and experienced more failure in one week than you did in one year of high school? Remember when you called your parents begging to let you go someplace else and they wouldn't let you?. Remember how you felt every time you got his approval? Remember how you felt when you cut down the net? Remember telling freshmen everything you heard as a freshmen but didn't' believe or dismissed? Remember him calling you in a month ago to ask you about your latest future plans and the smile on his face, the same as any proud father? What happened? Growth. Maturity. Effort. Stubborness. Life is good and it is about to get a lot better.
Triple like!---:):):)

Reaction Score
it's been a really tough first year but hang in there...........just work hard and you'll find it get's much. much better

Reaction Score
First off, I hope they open it in three years at their senior night. My message would be... Thanks from UConn fans on your committment to the UConn team. My hope is that you had an experience even better than you hoped. Keep in touch as fans as well as your teammates will miss you as you go forward in life" .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom