What do you like about Coach Ollie? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What do you like about Coach Ollie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I am curious of fellow fans thoughts as there as some stark differences between Ollie and Calhoun, and of course many similarities.

The biggest difference that I like is the termination of 'public' humiliation of the players. He also seems more patient as well. Giffey and Olander would be benched repeatedly this season if Calhoun stayed. In fact one game (I forgot which one) we stunk so bad I was expecting him to bench all the starters, ala Calhoun. But he didn't, very patient, but not certainly not tolerant.

I like his intensity. I like the fact that he never takes personal credit for any victory, and redirects it to the team. Finally he seems to never give up in the game and transmits that mentality to the players. Wolf, Bazz, Calhoun and Giffey have clearly improved this season under Ollie, which is a great sign of player development.

Finally he has an heir of confidence, and is not intimidated by any coach he faces. I think he knows more about coaching than many coaches he is facing. He's a keeper and our future is in great hands.

There are only one handful of coaches who could replace a legend, and fortunately we found one of them.

Good point.

He is confident without appearing cocky or aggressive.

I started a thread about the two for one at the end of regulation. It was a move confident NBA coaches make; a move only a few college coaches make; and a move rookie college coaches almost never make.

But it was the right call because it shows confidence in his team's offensive ability and defensive ability.

Reaction Score
his loyalty.....and the video that plays about a minute before the buzzer sounds for national anthem starters etc..........."I am uconn" everytime i hear it i just smile and knows hes here to stay, and there will be nothing but greatness (hopefully) for years to come. loyal, loyal man.....this is what JC groomed him to become the most. I can see him saying it to him..."Kevin you must always stay loyal to the team your coaching and the program you run."

Hes wonderful so far, and honestly...I'm loving every minute of it. (Which is something i honestly was unsure I'd say at this point in the season thinking back.)

Reaction Score
With all that UCONN has gone through, and how they have played, Kevin Ollie deserves the Big East Coach of the year award.

Reaction Score
I haven't been to a game in a few years....JC was never known for G-rated court side behavior and language....How has KO's court side behavior compared to JC's?

Reaction Score
My response: I'm a big Calhoun fan. Calhoun loves Ollie. Good enough for me.

Reaction Score
Haha I swore I saw shabazz wink at Calhoun after a wild three

Reaction Score
He manages the game very well. He leads. I also like the WTF look when the guys screw up, but not menacing or attitudinal. I always hope the camera get's a shot of that look so I can laugh. I like when the guys miss a shot or make a TO they don't look to be yanked or yelled at. Finally most important is he gets the athlete of today.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I love how he runs the team the way he played the point for us back in the 90s. He's a very in-control and composed kind of guy who has the ability to calm people around him and get them on an even keel in tough situations.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I like that not only does he teach the kids about bball but he also teaches life skills. Character, integrity, teamwork and loyalty.

I think KO will be a huge hit with the parents of recruits. Not only will he get them ready for the NBA, if they have the talent, but he also will get them ready for life...becoming men.

I like your post but I like your screen name even more. I also love large buttocks and just cannot lie.

Reaction Score
I like how he stacks up with a dozen other coaches you guys may have heard of before when it comes to their winning percentage at their first head coaching job.
Boeheim: .870
Dixon: .861
Ollie: .720 (Five games to go)
Barnes: .670
Donovan: .670
Pitino: .654 (Didn't count 6 games at Hawaii)
Williams: .613
JT3: .592
Crean: .517
Izzo: .500
Coach K: .440
Calipari: .357
Self: .222

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online