What do you like about Coach Ollie? | The Boneyard

What do you like about Coach Ollie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am curious of fellow fans thoughts as there as some stark differences between Ollie and Calhoun, and of course many similarities.

The biggest difference that I like is the termination of 'public' humiliation of the players. He also seems more patient as well. Giffey and Olander would be benched repeatedly this season if Calhoun stayed. In fact one game (I forgot which one) we stunk so bad I was expecting him to bench all the starters, ala Calhoun. But he didn't, very patient, but not certainly not tolerant.

I like his intensity. I like the fact that he never takes personal credit for any victory, and redirects it to the team. Finally he seems to never give up in the game and transmits that mentality to the players. Wolf, Bazz, Calhoun and Giffey have clearly improved this season under Ollie, which is a great sign of player development.

Finally he has an heir of confidence, and is not intimidated by any coach he faces. I think he knows more about coaching than many coaches he is facing. He's a keeper and our future is in great hands.

There are only one handful of coaches who could replace a legend, and fortunately we found one of them.

Reaction Score
I like his level headed approach. Doesn't appear to blow his gasket easily, and the kids seem to respond to it. Most important, he loves Uconn and will stay here for the rest of his career it permitted. He's a true Husky, born and bred!!

Reaction Score
I like his rapport with the players - they respond to him, play hard and accept responsibility.

I think he's good at addressing weaknesses and finding improvement.

I always judge a coach by what he's able to accomplish given the level of player talent available to him. Coaches who achieve upset wins early, eventually go on the have great success once they're able to reqruit better talent. Can he recruit? We don't know yet, but I feel confident he will be a better recruiter than JC was. JC was very good at choosing coachable kids. Will Kevin do the same?

I like that he bleeds UConn blue. This means he won't jump ship easily, but I think he'll be offered an NBA job someday and that will be tough to turn down.

Reaction Score
No way he's enticed by an nba job unless he gets a ring. At least that's the vibe I get. I love the intensity we play with, and his player development. Just look at Giffey

Reaction Score
Patience with players, guys don't have free reign on the court but they're also allowed to play through mistakes, I think Giffey is benefitting the most playing under KO. Player development as well, Wolf(before the suspension), Giffey, Omar, all have improved as the season went along. In the latest Courant article on him Omar pointed out how the coaches wanted him to show the ball and then take his defender off the dribble either to the rim or for the pull-up instead of always settling for the 3, we've been seeing that lately from him.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The timing of his timeouts could be a little better. But to answer your question his recruiting impact so far.

Reaction Score
The timing of his timeouts could be a little better. But to answer your question his recruiting impact so far.

The timeout issue is so minor because he is a rookie coach. He is only going to get better.

I posted in another thread, that he has unlimited potential as a recruiter. He has so many cards up his sleeve.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
No way he's enticed by an nba job unless he gets a ring. At least that's the vibe I get. I love the intensity we play with, and his player development. Just look at Giffey
I'm not worried about the NBA either. Ollie had every opportunity to be groomed as an NBA coach when his playing days ended, but chose to work under JC instead.

Reaction Score
Patience with players, guys don't have free reign on the court but they're also allowed to play through mistakes, I think Giffey is benefitting the most playing under KO. Player development as well, Wolf(before the suspension), Giffey, Omar, all have improved as the season went along. In the latest Courant article on him Omar pointed out how the coaches wanted him to show the ball and then take his defender off the dribble either to the rim or for the pull-up instead of always settling for the 3, we've been seeing that lately from him.
My feelings exactly. Not to slam JC but he would let his intensity and anger control his decisions sometimes. The quick hook was not strategic as much as it was an emotional reaction.
Players are going to make mistakes and if you want your best team on the floor you have to let them play through them. Ollie does that. And whatever he does in practice, it works with the kids. No Uconn team has ever played harder and that is probably the best measure of a coach.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Pretty much everything. But his obvious love of all things UConn is right at the top of the list.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
KO let's the kids play without worrying about the traumatic quick hook. Also, there's nothing like having a head coach that can actually play and actively participate in practice drills.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I love when he lifts one eyebrow and just stares at the ref, like what you talkin bout Willis!
Ollie.jpg

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Boatright looks like Villanova Boatright.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Xs and Os. On the joe d post game, miller gave credit to Ollie's adjustment at the 5 min mark in the 2nd half. Ollie changed the location (high middle) and angle of the screen to allow the penetration we got at the end of regulation. All game Cinci was aggressively overplaying the high ball screen, hedging and trapping out of it. Ollie's adjustment freed our offense back up. The guy is the real deal.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
His loyalty from day 1. We'll never have to worry if he is going to bolt.

And we'll never see him enraged, halfway out on the court motioning a player to "get the #^@%# off the court!!" tho that was good for a chuckle now and then.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
His loyalty from day 1. We'll never have to worry if he is going to bolt.

And we'll never see him enraged, halfway out on the court motioning a player to "get the #^@%# off the court!!" tho that was good for a chuckle now and then.
He was, however, halfway on the court stomping at that no call illegal screen.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i like that warde has to watch him lead us to the promise land the next 30 years of his life. s on that!

Reaction Score
I like the fact that he was Lebron James' paid mentor, that has to kill on recruiting trips.

I also love his passion for UCONN and coach Calhoun. Having Ollie on the bench is keeping Calhoun and the extended basketball alumni involved in the program, we would have lost that if an outsider were brought in, that's why hiring Ollie was always a layup to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom