What do you expect from refs? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What do you expect from refs?

Reaction Score
Call it even. Call fewer fouls. Let ‘em play down the stretch.
Excuse me, what? You realize what is wrong with "call fewer fouls"? The sentence afterwards is a little suspect as well. But I agree, call it even.

Reaction Score
I dont understand how the big east games are called any differently than the NCAA tournament or any other OOC games. Is there not a central place that makes sure all calls are made consistently across all NCAA games. I know a lot of people love a physical game but it seems silly when these guys look to be seriously wrestling for position down low.
IDK, either, but it may have to do with BE history. The glory days of the BE were in the 80's and 90's, when the Rodman and Laimbeer's of the NBA world dominated. Basketball has changed, but perhaps, some refs and the BE HQ still yearn for the glory days? IDK.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It might be helpful to have the league review games when really bad reffing is complained of and likewise over-the-top coaching antics. It's time some adults came into the room and get the circus ringmasters straightened out. It really detracts from what might otherwise be an entertaining game where the players are the center of attention. This may sound oversimplified but it seems to be more about egos than anything else.

This is somewhat off topic but the introduction of replays into say baseball was a great addition. Don't think this will work in basketball nor want it slowing the game down anymore than it already is
but egregious violations need to be addressed on both sides (refs and coaches) of this issue.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
IMO it’s less about getting every call correct and more about being consistent - both in the way they call both teams AND both halves of games.

Just seems like there are so many times where one team is getting away with something the other team is getting called for. Or the first half has like 3 total fouls and then both teams are in the bonus 7 minutes into the second half.

If they are going to be bad, I’d at least like them to be consistently bad. I don’t think that’s too much to ask for.

Reaction Score
Let’s also admit that there can be a foul called on nearly every play. It’s the touch fouls that have no affect on a play that bothers me.
Also, can someone explain to me the change in the charge/block rule?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Excuse me, what? You realize what is wrong with "call fewer fouls"? The sentence afterwards is a little suspect as well. But I agree, call it even.
What’s wrong with it? The game should be called more loosely. Do you think they call every foul? There are 2-3 things every play that can be called a foul. What is and what is not a foul is totally dictated by the refs.

Reaction Score
It might be helpful to have the league review games when really bad reffing is complained of and likewise over-the-top coaching antics. It's time some adults came into the room and get the circus ringmasters straightened out. It really detracts from what might otherwise be an entertaining game where the players are the center of attention. This may sound oversimplified but it seems to be more about egos than anything else.

This is somewhat off topic but the introduction of replays into say baseball was a great addition. Don't think this will work in basketball nor want it slowing the game down anymore than it already is
but egregious violations need to be addressed on both sides (refs and coaches) of this issue.
This. If certain refs are allowed to impart their personal biases into games, as many on here feel is the case, that needs to be administered out. That’s the AD’s job.

Reaction Score
Funny story a walk on from the 90’s about an interaction between Cahill and Coach Calhoun. Coach is riding him pretty hard and Cahill says one more word and that’s a tech. Calhoun says, ok but can I think. Cahill looks at him dumbfounded and says yeah. Calhoun says, great because I think you f….n suck. Immediate T.

Reaction Score
What’s wrong with it? The game should be called more loosely. Do you think they call every foul? There are 2-3 things every play that can be called a foul. What is and what is not a foul is totally dictated by the refs.
What is wrong with "call fewer fouls"? By your use of the word, "foul", if it is a foul, you call it. Not fewer, not too many.

Why should the game be called more loosely? In the extreme, a rugby team can win a basketball game. Depending on the teams talent level, locale, etc. it may favor one team over another. Given the impossible task of officiating a game perfectly, all one can ask for is consistent calls. This is where they fail.

Do you think they should call every foul (again your word a "foul")? Yes, they should call every "foul". I could be wrong, but I think, you are referring to contact and that is what you are taking issue with.

Reaction Score
The Big East referees have a problem with allowing too much physicality early, then trying to regain control later if/when it gets chippy. Fans, players, and coaches don't react well to that because they feel they're being treated unfairly.

In other conferences, you see a tighter game called on both teams through the first bit of the game, but the zebras let more slide later to not affect the outcome of the game.
Does Val tell them to allow more contact? These guys ref multiple leagues. Do they call plays differently in different leagues?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Excuse me!? What!? Have you ever heard of ticky tack fouls? I don’t want them called on us OR the opponent. And I don’t want a game decided by some suspect call either. Unless it’s a hack, swallow that whistle.

Reaction Score
Excuse me!? What!? Have you ever heard of ticky tack fouls? I don’t want them called on us OR the opponent. And I don’t want a game decided by some suspect call either. Unless it’s a hack, swallow that whistle.
Yea, very good. Swallowing the whistle is the worst. Why? Because it leaves no record of the failure of the official and has the most effect on a game. All of a sudden, a team that can't throw the ball in the ocean, can win a basketball game because of, you know, tough defense. You are also confused about whistles and fouls.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The Big East referees have a problem with allowing too much physicality early, then trying to regain control later if/when it gets chippy. Fans, players, and coaches don't react well to that because they feel they're being treated unfairly.

In other conferences, you see a tighter game called on both teams through the first bit of the game, but the zebras let more slide later to not affect the outcome of the game.
Yup. Every game follows this pattern. They also dictate/respond to momentum.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I honestly get so tired of people talking about how bad refs are in games. Every single post game thread somebody has to complain about them. Typically they are pointing to one play or another. You do understand that referees are human beings, right? What percentage of calls do you expect them to get “right”? I say “right” because there are so many calls in a game that are subjective and if you polled people, 60% would say one way, and 40% would say the other way.

And on a similar note, I think the abuse officials take from coaches/fans is inexcusable. Have fun trying to find referees for youth and high schools these days. Who wants to deal with that crap? Who are all these youth coaches/parents watching to figure out what’s acceptable? The guys they watch on TV. If you’re watching Dan Hurley, pretty much anything is acceptable I guess. Don’t get me wrong, I love Hurley and his passion and am glad we have him, I just hate his referee abuse.

Ha, rant off. Thought this would be an interesting discussion in this long break between games. Thoughts?
Nearly every game you see (football/basketball), if not a blow-out, there are controversial calls that do have a bearing on the outcome.
I don't support coaches/players berating refs during the game BUT I feel the officials in every sport need to to be held accountable in an open forum after a game, via a press conference as coaches and players. As you said they are human, not royalty.

Right now in the Chiefs/Bengals game - an intentional grounding call that a novice peewee league ref would not call - because it clearly was not grounding.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
For them to call out actual bad, appalling behavior that ISN'T simply pumping up the crowd, such as this:

Ahh thats nothing until he steps out on the court doing it and interferes in the play - he wasnt even close to the play when his left foot stepped on the court.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This. If certain refs are allowed to impart their personal biases into games, as many on here feel is the case, that needs to be administered out. That’s the AD’s job.
I actually agree with Chief on this. It's the commissioner's job. A few years back a ref made a horrible call and I yelled "Horrible call!" It just happened to have the right timing because I swear the ref whipped around and gave me the hairy eyeball. And I was sitting way back at the XL. The ball gets inbounded and seconds later it's the same guy with an even worse call. After motioning to the desk, he makes it a point to look up me and virtually say "How do ya like dem apples?" That's a bad ref.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I honestly get so tired of people talking about how bad refs are in games. Every single post game thread somebody has to complain about them. Typically they are pointing to one play or another. You do understand that referees are human beings, right? What percentage of calls do you expect them to get “right”? I say “right” because there are so many calls in a game that are subjective and if you polled people, 60% would say one way, and 40% would say the other way.

And on a similar note, I think the abuse officials take from coaches/fans is inexcusable. Have fun trying to find referees for youth and high schools these days. Who wants to deal with that crap? Who are all these youth coaches/parents watching to figure out what’s acceptable? The guys they watch on TV. If you’re watching Dan Hurley, pretty much anything is acceptable I guess. Don’t get me wrong, I love Hurley and his passion and am glad we have him, I just hate his referee abuse.

Ha, rant off. Thought this would be an interesting discussion in this long break between games. Thoughts?
1. Consider whether the contact is incidental or impactful. Big East refs tend to call too many fouls on soft touch contact that doesn’t even impact the player fouled. At the same time they let a lot of clutching, grabbing, hip checks and hard physical defense go uncalled, and it has a major impact.
2. Treat similar contact the same throughput the game. Ideally, also game to game.
3. it’s not about you. Put your ego away. If we know your name as a ref, you are probably a crappy ref.

Example of #1. If a team drives and its player loses the ball out bounds after the defense converges. Maybe the player just lost it. Maybe he got stripped (50% should be out on the D) but the most common thing is that he got fouled. Guys swiping at the ball get arms more than they get the ball. So when UConn does it like 10 times in a half and zero fouls are called, you’re letting impactful fouls go. Some refs hedge, by saying out on the D when it really wasn’t and not calling the foul. Better, but I think these hack away teams need to have guys fouling out with 10 minutes to play.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The last thing the Big East needs is to call games more loosely. Might as well just play a bunch of unskilled defensive linemen and bludgeon the other team.

Reaction Score
Here’s the thing. The OP is 100% right in response to youth sports and high school. Those officials are not professionals and without them there are no games. But at collegiate and pro level it’s unacceptable to be that bad at your job. Anyone see the Cowboys-Lions game? That crew is basically done for the season after making bad calls a habit.

Reaction Score
Here’s the thing. The OP is 100% right in response to youth sports and high school. Those officials are not professionals and without them there are no games. But at collegiate and pro level it’s unacceptable to be that bad at your job. Anyone see the Cowboys-Lions game? That crew is basically done for the season after making bad calls a habit.

pj

Reaction Score
I think the one-sided refereeing last year helped prepare the team for its NCAA tourney run. By March they were prepared for very physical styles and unflappable.

What bothers me most is not the one-sided or inconsistent refereeing but the injury risk it creates. They shouldn't be allowing too much shoving or jersey pulling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom