What do we need to see this week to feel better about the team's direction? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What do we need to see this week to feel better about the team's direction?

Reaction Score
We looked the way we did over the weekend because we were physically overmatched by a more talented team. We need to see the same result in our favor this week against Holy Cross, otherwise it's going to really be time to soul search and rip out some deeper roots. Offensive and Defensive lines need to impose their will all game. Literally push people to where they want them to go with little resistance. No more pansy ass football. Every play be a bully and put people on the ground. Give Jack Zergiotis all the time in the world to hit open receivers and if he still can't, no more excuses for him. No more letting teams we should beat, stick around through the 4th quarter.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
1. Physical domination from the O-line. Our big men should be bigger, faster, and stronger than HC.
2. Constant disruption in the backfield by our D-line and rush.
3. Speed at all O and D skill positions. Our athletes should be visibly faster than HC.
4. Offensive rhythm that leads to first downs and points.
5. A winning mindset. In other words, the ability to take a hit (for example, a TD after a turnover) and stay focused on the game.

Reaction Score
Also like to see Kevon Jones back in the lineup (supposed to be) and Eric Watts adn Chris Fortin (injuries). Not sure what happened to Micah Leon, but he must be firmly in Randy's doghouse.

Reaction Score
They have to win this game comfortably. I don't expect to dominate anyone the way we just got dominated, but I want to win this game comfortably, where it's never really in doubt in the last 20 minutes. Not come from behind in the 4th quarter like HCRE's last game against the Cross.

Do you know how many years it has been since we've beaten a FCS team comfortably? Wagner, Stony Brook, Holy Cross, Rhode Island, Villanova. Not to mention the loss to Towson. Yuch, yuch and more yuch.

Reaction Score
They have to win this game comfortably. I don't expect to dominate anyone the way we just got dominated, but I want to win this game comfortably, we're it's never really in doubt in the last 20 minutes. Not come from behind in the 4th quarter like HCRE's last game against the Cross.

Do you know how many years it has been since we've beaten a FCS team comfortably? Wagner, Stony Brook, Holy Cross, Rhode Island, Villanova. Not to mention the loss to Towson. Yuch, yuch and more yuch.

Honest question... if we have the chance to pull away and make it a lopsided game would Edsall keep his foot on the gas?

Reaction Score
Honest question... if we have the chance to pull away and make it a lopsided game would Edsall keep his foot on the gas?

Who cares? Seriously, if we can't win comfortably we've gone nowhere. If we do win comfortably, I could care less whether Edsall chooses to play scrubs late (as HRCR I did against FCS opponents) or runs up the score to make some simpletons feel good.

Reaction Score
Who cares? Seriously, if we can't win comfortably we've gone nowhere. If we do win comfortably, I could care less whether Edsall chooses to play scrubs late (as HRCR I did against FCS opponents) or runs up the score to make some simpletons feel good.

I just meant more along the lines of not going into prevent with a near 100% run game after being up by 1 score.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Also like to see Kevon Jones back in the lineup (supposed to be) and Eric Watts adn Chris Fortin (injuries). Not sure what happened to Micah Leon, but he must be firmly in Randy's doghouse.

Regarding ML - I believe its another injury.... I'm not sure if he couldnt play if QB1 and QB2 went down in a pitch however.

Reaction Score
My observation of watching the last game was the defense line was being bullied and push back with the exception of the first quarter. Obviously not a lot of blitzing and it did seem like Fresno had special cleats for the turf.

Offensively, we need help.

On another note the guys have to finish. If they are there finish.

Reaction Score

We can’t afford to play scrubs. We didn’t play any minutes last season. The starters are the scrubs.

Reaction Score
For now, no comment. But I will know it if I see it. Whatever has us feeling good as we walk back over to the Aircraft Club.

Not shaking our heads. Feeling good.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Honestly there really isn’t anything this week other than they should beat an FCS squad handily. If they do I don’t think there is much you can take from it. It’s the next FBS game that will show somethjng
I will not be surprised to see much better quarterback play from whomever they throw out there for HC. This place is a black hole for quarterback talent, there are kids at every division who can throw the ball competently and we never seem to get one.

Reaction Score
I will not be surprised to see much better quarterback play from whomever they throw out there for HC. This place is a black hole for quarterback talent, there are kids at every division who can throw the ball competently and we never seem to get one.

Boggles my mind. We don’t need a 6’5 qb who can run like a tailback and has a common for an arm.

We need a qb who can read a defense and make short accurate throws. And we need a coach who can scheme mismatches to help the qb out even more. Seems so simple.

Reaction Score
I think we'll handle this one comfortably.

I know last Saturday was a bust, but the defense is better and we played without a couple of key guys. Special teams are much improved and McFadden can punt a ton.

Honestly, I don't know what to say about the offense. Fresno had an experienced defense and the kid in the middle could sure play. HC certainly won't be that good. That said, Z has to make some throws and if he can then we'll be able to run the ball. When he missed Ross early it was an absolute killer. Pretty sure I could have made that throw.

31-17 Huskies

Reaction Score
I think UConn fans are justified in their anger this week. Mostly because we were led to believe that Edsall needed time to fix what he inherited. So we endured 3 horrific....historically bad years plus a covid year...all for the good of the future.

And all of this waiting and being told to be patient resulted in getting destroyed 45-0 by a slightly above average team. 4 years of waiting resulted in the worst offensive performance of any UConn team. 4 years of waiting resulted in yet another unwatchable game.

Yes...there are excuses....it truly was incredibly hot. Yes they were slipping out there. Yes they had to travel 3000 miles. Yes it's hard to simulate a real game in practice. But....good coaches address that before the game...and don't make excuses after.

So...Edsall gets one Mulligan this year...and he has used it. The team is home this week...it won't be 120 degrees...and the opponent has a roster of players that should be inferior to UConn's roster. Good coaches and good teams take advantage of this situation and make a statement with a convincing victory.

Winning won't be enough...they need to dominate. How they play is more important than the score. The offense needs to be competent. Jack Zergiotis needs to complete passes that aren't slants. They need to run effectively.

We had to wait four years because the roster was filled with FCS players. Now is the time to show the fans that this team can easily beat a roster of FCS players.

Put up or shut up week. If UConn fails this week that means the past four years of pain has been for nothing. I didn't expect Edsall to get us back into the top 25, but I did expect him to be competent. If they have a close win..look sloppy...or God forbid lose...that means we are in the same horrible place we were when Edsall got here.

I really hope they roll HC.
Excellent post man. Can’t argue any of your points here.
Let’s get this Dub!

Reaction Score
For me, win by two touchdowns and have control of the game. Defense has to long strong like they did in the first quarter Saturday. Offense needs to prove they can sustain a drive (more than 1, actually)
Rewatching the game, it really wasn’t just one qtr. Score was 14-0 (one score by their defense) with 4:38 left in the half. We forced a 4th and 18 punt. We got the ball back. Just ANY kind of drive with a first down or two, even if we punt the ball probably gets us to halftime at 14-0 with the defense only letting up one score.

Yes, the defense gave up every point they scored. But complimentary football wasn’t played at all. The offense shoulders a lot of the blame for the 45 pts we gave up.

Reaction Score
I really do think we have a good QB on the roster. I hate to say we can’t find a QB without giving Krajewski a fair shake. The kid was an excellent high school QB at a very good school. He has looked entirely competent to me in the little we’ve seen. Big arm, accurate and calm. I just want him to get his fair shake at the job before he hits the portal.

Reaction Score
I really do think we have a good QB on the roster. I hate to say we can’t find a QB without giving Krajewski a fair shake. The kid was an excellent high school QB at a very good school. He has looked entirely competent to me in the little we’ve seen. Big arm, accurate and calm. I just want him to get his fair shake at the job before he hits the portal.

Zergiotis looks exactly the same as where he left off in 2019. Bad mechanics, bad decisions, decent arm strength with beyond terrible accuracy. He will be an INT machine this year. HCRE said all spring and all summer that the position was too close to call. For all of the god awful QB's we've had Krajewski has not been given a fair shake. We are perhaps the worst program in D1 with the worst/ low scoring offense and HCRE is saying yea Krajewski is such a bad QB that he doesn't deserve a chance to play on a historically bad offense.

We were down by 31 at the half... the game was over... let alone by the 4th quarter yet a QB who was neck and neck with Zergioitis in a too close to call match up doesn't get a chance to prove himself? I've heard nothing but good things about Krajewski from those who are in the know. It's pretty obvious Edsall has a grudge against him to not let him even compete outside of garbage time.

Edsall is basically telling Steven Krajewski to leave the program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If they have a close win..look sloppy...or God forbid lose...that means we are in the same horrible place we were when Edsall got here.

Agree with everything you said, except the last sentence. We will be in a worse place then we were when #REtread got here.

And…. I was all for him coming back to get the program trending in the right direction. These are “Edsall’s guys” now, there are no more excuses.

Reaction Score
Zergiotis looks exactly the same as where he left off in 2019. Bad mechanics, bad decisions, decent arm strength with beyond terrible accuracy. He will be an INT machine this year. HCRE said all spring and all summer that the position was too close to call. For all of the god awful QB's we've had Krajewski has not been given a fair shake. We are perhaps the worst program in D1 with the worst/ low scoring offense and HCRE is saying yea Krajewski is such a bad QB that he doesn't deserve a chance to play on a historically bad offense.

We were down by 31 at the half... the game was over... let alone by the 4th quarter yet a QB who was neck and neck with Zergioitis in a too close to call match up doesn't get a chance to prove himself? I've heard nothing but good things about Krajewski from those who are in the know. It's pretty obvious Edsall has a grudge against him to not let him even compete outside of garbage time.
False. Steven Krajewski was on the leadership council and is highly liked by the team and staff. He just got beat out in practice. There is no grudge

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom