What do we have on this roster? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What do we have on this roster?

Reaction Score
Every bit of empirical evidence says this team is better than last years beyond both being 10-8.

I get being mad that we lost to USF and Tulsa, but last year we went to OT against Columbia and Stony Brook. This year we beat those type of teams by 20-30. We were 171st in ORtg and 178th in DRtg last year. We’re 96th in both this year. If you can’t look beyond the 10-8 record then you’re just trying to complain. If they keep on improving L’s will become W’s in due time.
Thanks stats. Our schedule is much easier to though right. Numbers don’t lie though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thanks stats. Our schedule is much easier to though right. Numbers don’t lie though.

Schedule has been tougher this year to this point.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think its just The Boneyard who can take credit for this.

Very little friendship here
50 posts worth of Friendship, and counting.

But seriously, this board vacilates between surprising humanity, valuable counsel, genuine fellowship, and great laughs... and regular meetings of circular firing squads.

We're not at our best when the university, the athletic department, the coaches, and/or players aren't at their best.

It's hard for us to improve ourselves.

Reaction Score
People weren't ready for a rebuild. We have a terrible fan base that doesn't know anything about sports.

This fan base lost all patience under Ollie’s last few years. If anyone thought hiring Hurley was an instant fix, they’re delusional. Give the man time to rebuild this train wreck of a program

Reaction Score
We need an impact big in the worst way. That is the only way this program will be turned around.
Need to get that in next year's recruiting class.

Reaction Score
Yeah he probably would have thrown them in a zone again because he didn't want to spend time teaching man to man defense anymore. I'd rather we take our lumps now than when Hurley has a roster full of his guys.[/QUOTE'
We had 1 ball handler who had to play the entire game last year and worse defensive players. Ollie was a man to man guy but zone was out of necessity not choice. Hurley has more options and we are better this year not only with talent on the floor but intensity.

pj

Reaction Score
I wish Larrier were here. I’d love to watch him in Tulsa, Wyoming stare at his teammates trying to figure out where it all went so wrong.

If he's in Tulsa Wyoming, he probably wouldn't be staring at his teammates, but staring at a map wondering why he took a flight to the wrong state.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I suggest you all take a look at the preseason prediction thread.

There werent many people who didnt have us over 20 wins.

Almost none.

I was one of them who had us well under 20. Go look it up. So none of this has anything to do with my expectations for this season.

My expectations were simply to get better. Its a low bar. We are having trouble crossing it.

And yes this group of players is obviously just not up to the task unfortunately. But everyone believed in the Hurley magic bullet and it aint there and are now walking it back.

Count me as the under too. I was 18-20. With 20 being a very successful season.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Our problems are the same as they have been for a few years.

It's too hard for us to score, and too easy for the other team to score. A 5 point deficit is insurmountable, a 10 point lead is gone in an instant.
Big game situation stops and big game situation buckets are rare as hens teeth. Then and now.

Let's see where those ratings are at the end of the year.

Lot of bad habits ingrained in these kids. I think it's gonna take some time (and a new class or two coming in) to kick them.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The coaching hasn't improved this year either and none of you KO haters can acknowledge that. I do believe long term Hurley is the right choice

I also believe this team has 2 more wins under KO. He would have zoned more and not as many turnovers. Also think he would have made better adjustments in certain games. That doesn't mean he is/ was the man for the job but Hurley hasn't exactly lit the world on fire

How many 20+ pt blowouts did we have last year? How many this one?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The team is a lot better than it was last year. Players are trying harder. It's like you KO fan club losers forget how many times the team just flat out quit the last two years.

Absolute looney tunes in this thread right here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If he's in Tulsa Wyoming, he probably wouldn't be staring at his teammates, but staring at a map wondering why he took a flight to the wrong state.

bring back the deleted thread

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Every time someone suggested that this program couldn't be turned around immediately, they were met with a chorus of "hurr durr Chris Holtmann Ohio State hurr durr."

They somehow casually leave out the 100s of other examples where the 1st year improvement was minimal. "See it worked one time!!!!!"

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
People weren't ready for a rebuild. We have a terrible fan base that doesn't know anything about sports.
So you are saying that we have a "casual fan" problem?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This is the biggest issue, we have a low college sports IQ fan base that isn't exactly passionate about sports but thinks their sports teams should be awesome just because there were awesome before not understanding the work that went into it.

CT is full of the wine and cheese crowd. Permeates everything we do. Partially why football faces such headwinds in this state.

Reaction Score
How many 20+ pt blowouts did we have last year? How many this one?

How many injuries and point guards last year? The talent is better this year and they are playing harder/ tougher.

The actual X and O coaching and in game adjustments haven't been much better than years past

Reaction Score
Same book different cover. Can we talk about something that we have not, and or something where our conversation makes a difference. Want suggestions:
Ideas to help us get into a P5
How can we help with better recruiting
Stop complaining about low fan turn out and you go
Donate to the budget the school like the Werth's
Etc....
Etc....
Etc....
Sheeees

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How many injuries and point guards last year? The talent is better this year and they are playing harder/ tougher.

The actual X and O coaching and in game adjustments haven't been much better than years past

You're also talking about a historically bad UCONN team last year, one of the worst in history. Lotta bad habits to overcome.

And nobody said Hurley's X's and O's were the best in the game, when he was hired. It's an area for improvement (all good coaches grow -- see a guy like J Wright).

Hurley's currently working with personnel that are limited in what they can do. Ollie at least recognized this last year and tried to adjust by playing zone.

But make no mistake, Ollie stocked this cupboard. Need to get some of Hurley's ingredients into the mix.

Reaction Score
I still dont get the love for Polley, had 2 points and 0 rebounds against Tulane....TULANE. If he is going to be a starter, he needs to start producing. If Sid is available, put Sid in over Polley until he shows he can contribute.

Reaction Score
I still dont get the love for Polley, had 2 points and 0 rebounds against Tulane....TULANE. If he is going to be a starter, he needs to start producing. If Sid is available, put Sid in over Polley until he shows he can contribute.

Totally agree. He has GOT to be able to hit a three on a consistent basis. Hasn't done it yet.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. He has GOT to be able to hit a three on a consistent basis. Hasn't done it yet.

Got to play your best player at each position. Polley has had such a bad run of 5 or 6 games that can no longer support him starting.

At PF he should be third in line after Sid and Whaley.

Maybe he’d be more comfortable coming off the bench? Right now he's got no confidence in his stroke. Coming off the bench might actually help him, not to mention the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom