What do we do with Cameron Ridley? | The Boneyard

What do we do with Cameron Ridley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So we have a double-double machine/280 pound monster in our near future with no Brimah.

Granted I'm not entirely sure Brimah would be able to keep up with him anyways....but what's our best strategy with a now limited backcourt?

Enoch's the best matchup but no experience, & Ridley has 70 pounds on Facey.

Is Phil our best option? Would love some opinions on this b/c I believe this is the game changer.

Reaction Score
haven't seen him play this year, but best bet might be to put the guards in attack mode and go straight at him to try and get him in foul trouble. Enoch can body him up, but would have 2 fouls by the first tv timeout

Or we could use the JJ Reddick approach and just jump on his back...

Reaction Score
Start Phil on him, he's a good defender and will probably draw an elbow/shoulder charge or 2 on him. If that doesn't work, try Facey then Steve, Darkhorse could be Miller, he is athletic and strong while Ridley is mainly earth bound. Help on the weekside because I don't think they are a great shooting team.

Reaction Score
He's averaging 12.7/10/3.4 so he's a decent load. Last year he had less go to moves although he still isn't real quick, but strong. If Phil and Steve can stay out of huge foul trouble they can make him work hard and KF can get minutes when he's out and replacing Shonn on occasion. No one is saying this is going to be easy but it's far from impossible - they will need to keep their composure during some runs that will happen.

Reaction Score
Granted I'm not entirely sure Brimah would be able to keep up with him anyways....but what's our best strategy with a now limited backcourt?

Quite frankly, go look up the definition of backcourt, and then get back to me.

And Leave AB out of it, Damn it!

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Crash the offensive boards hard. Facey getting 4-8 cheap points would be a big boost. He lost confidence last year, but Favey is a very good rebounder despite his size.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Come out for the pregame shoot around with black baseball bats. Wave said bats in Ridley's direction and taunt him. Watch him become unhinged and foul himself out of the game. This sh_t works.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
The OP had a good post with a question to the 'Yard. Don't think he said he was a POY candidate unless I missed something?
I was being over dramatic on purpose Mau....this idea that Ridley will eat us alive inside has been floating around this board way too much for my liking. As others have already posted, he did next to nothing a year ago vs us.

I know he may be better with a year of seasoning but I dont get the fear of him. 12 ppg and 10 boards and some posters are waking up in cold sweats over the thought of our frontcourt trying to stop him....I would love to see the paranoia that this board was in prior to playing a true beast like say Harangody and Dejuan Blair...........

Last edited:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Why is everyone so touchy when Brimah's name is mentioned like he has a taboo. Ridley is a type of threat we haven't had in a while , and Brimah (who god-forbid I even mention has struggled to defend legit centers) is not even available. Considering our difficulty defending the perimeter this year and lack of experience controlling a physical center, the OP brings up a legit concern.

Reaction Score
So we have a double-double machine/280 pound monster in our near future with no Brimah.

Enoch's the best matchup but no experience, & Ridley has 70 pounds on Facey.

Is Phil our best option? Would love some opinions on this b/c I believe this is the game changer.
Ridley is shooting less than 40% from the stripe. In a close game, down the stretch he is more liability than prodigy. We will miss ABs 5 fouls for sure, and his rim protection against the Texas guards, but this is a team that lost to Michigan and I don't think Ridley is their biggest weapon. He will get his, let's worry about keeping Felix, Taylor and Davis under control. Then they can worry about how they can keep pace with us, as we run them off the floor.

Reaction Score
Just did a little research to backup my previous post. Texas has played 6 meaningful games, Washington 2X, Michigan, Texas A&M, NC & Stanford. They are 3 and 3 in those games and Ridley averaged 11pts/9.5 rebounds while going 13 for 35 from the stripe. His output was very consistent thru all 6 games, 3 double doubles, always in double digits in one of those categories in each game with a high of 14 points in a loss, 13 rebounds in a win. Looking at his output alone you could not tell which games Texas won or which they lost. Looking at their 3 point shooting is another matter - when they won they shot 50%, 40% and 35% from three. When they lost they shot 38.5%, 35% and 13% from distance. In other words - Ridley will get his, the focus has to be in chasing their guards off the arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom