What did Duke know, and when did it know it, 'cuz here cometh the NCAA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What did Duke know, and when did it know it, 'cuz here cometh the NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
So many issues here.
1. Interesting business strategy to say, "30k up front, 60k within 2 weeks." It's a "hook 'em hard" strategy with a lot of risk. They could easily say, "come back in 2 weeks when you have all 90k," but they don't, because the impulse-buy urge would be gone, as would the sale.

2. Was this guy a projected NBA player when he got this loan?

3. I hate Dook as much or, more likely, more than the next guy, but this occurred with a couple of months left in his senior season. Odds of the Dook program having anything to do with it directly - almost zero. What would be the point? The guy's career is about over. Would a booster front this money? Maybe, but, again, seems unlikely.

4. 30 grand is not a crazy amount of money. 90k is getting there quick, but he didn't end up coming up with the bread.

5. I'm in a bit of a glass Tate house, so I'll be careful throwing stones, but this is the second Dookie in a few years who has defaulted on his obligations. Perhaps they should have an ethics course just for the basketball players.
I'm assuming an agent would have fronted the money, or at least promised the balance. Thomas is in the D-league, so he was always a borderline professional, Euro-league type of guy who would make the money somehow.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
IMO, this should not be an NCAA violation.

That said, it's going to piss me off when the NCAA announces "nothing to see here folks, move on." I'm not joking when I say that the school in question will have more to do with what the NCAA finally does than the violation itself.

Can we convince some middle eastern terrorist groups that the NCAA is the largest financial backer of the Israelis, maybe?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
IMO, this should not be an NCAA violation.

That said, it's going to piss me off when the NCAA announces "nothing to see here folks, move on." I'm not joking when I say that the school in question will have more to do with what the NCAA finally does than the violation itself.

Can we convince some middle eastern terrorist groups that the NCAA is the largest financial backer of the Israelis, maybe?

Maybe but neither was Boatshow's issue. I want to see them go through the same colonoscopy that we routinely get.

The NCAAs mishandling of the UNC issue creates a perception problem for them if they appear to let a second tobacco road team off the hook.

Reaction Score
The NCAAs mishandling of the UNC issue creates a perception problem for them if they appear to let a second tobacco road team off the hook.

It would to us, but it's obvious that perception doesn't matter to them. Some programs are untouchable. Appearantly, we aren't yet.

Reaction Score
Personally I'm completely against vacating wins, because no matter how dirty it still freakin happened. Now if the NCAA slaps Duke with a postseason ban this year and 5 players run away (oriakhi style) I'm cool with that ;) ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom