What Could Happen to P5 Conferences after Coronavirus Cases Settle | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What Could Happen to P5 Conferences after Coronavirus Cases Settle

Reaction Score
Not contentious in the least. We are just discussing your initial premise that the fact FSU and Clemson lobbied for Louisville in lieu of Connecticut was “an Internet rumor.” You asked for sources to the contrary. Another poster put one up and you discounted it because it wasn’t a newspaper. I gave you the source from the state's largest newspaper and a reporter for over 30 years experience and you are struggling to try to discount it. I have to laugh and say it’s okay to admit that you are wrong, and just move on.

The thin branch you are now clinging to now is that the language in the article would not be admissible in court under the hearsay rule, I shake my head and laugh because that not really an applicable standard for either a newspaper or a fan forum. But probably the most entertaining point is that the article would, in fact, be admissible for the purpose of disproving your original statement, that FSU is lobbying against UConn was “mere Internet rumor.” Isn’t that right “judge?”

Please put me on ignore..as I am putting you....and no...it would not be admissable...his source could well have been an ACC blogger...an unidentified source is just that...it becomes an internet rumor...

Like this...

Multiple sources have told MrSEC.com that Virginia and Georgia Tech have had conversations with the Big Ten, but all parties involved are waiting to see the outcome of the ACC/Maryland battle before deciding to wed. There have been other reports that the Big Ten has had contact with North Carolina and Duke as well.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Please put me on ignore..as I am putting you....and no...it would not be admissable...his source could well have been an ACC blogger...an unidentified source is just that...it becomes an internet rumor...

Like this...
Nope. The article is direct evidence that there were more than "mere internet rumors" of FSU opposing UConn in favor of Louisville. Not sure why it means so much to you though. It was a silly example as compliance with the federal rules of evidence aren't a prerequisite for a newspaper article or an fan forum post.

Reaction Score
Does it really matter which schools blocked Conn's invite to the ACC ?
It doesn't. What does matter is if the ACC or B10 has openings, perhaps because of financial needs, UConn and state of Connecticut do everything they can to get UConn in. Not like last time.

Reaction Score
It doesn't. What does matter is if the ACC or B10 has openings, perhaps because of financial needs, UConn and state of Connecticut do everything they can to get UConn in. Not like last time.
In life, timing is everything. It is not likely that another chance will come now. Sorry. Conferences will more likely be contracting. Will ESPN even be able to pay what they will be owing to these guys?

TJT

Reaction Score
The possibilty of UConn joining a P5 league is all but dead and buried. The move to the BE was both a confirmation and a guarantee. UConn paid $17M to leave the AAC, $3.5M to join the BE and agreed to a $30M exit fee for the first six seasons. It is not changing conferences again for a very long time.

Reaction Score
The possibilty of UConn joining a P5 league is all but dead and buried. The move to the BE was both a confirmation and a guarantee. UConn paid $17M to leave the AAC, $3.5M to join the BE and agreed to a $30M exit fee for the first six seasons. It is not changing conferences again for a very long time.
I understand why one would be skeptical about further conference realignment. But as I recall a lot of people were shocked when the Univ of Maryland left the ACC for the B10. In the coming months, I think there is going to be a massive shakeup in major college sports. Rather than contraction, the powers that be are going to be looking for revenue -- demographic profiles of fan bases are going to be very important. That's where Connecticut comes in. UConn can fill Madison Square Garden and generate enthusiasm. If the football team resumes its former excellence it can generate enthusiasm too. I would just hate to see Cincinnati sneaking into the ACC while UConn is once again asleep at the wheel.

Reaction Score
I understand why one would be skeptical about further conference realignment. But as I recall a lot of people were shocked when the Univ of Maryland left the ACC for the B10. In the coming months, I think there is going to be a massive shakeup in major college sports. Rather than contraction, the powers that be are going to be looking for revenue -- demographic profiles of fan bases are going to be very important. That's where Connecticut comes in. UConn can fill Madison Square Garden and generate enthusiasm. If the football team resumes its former excellence it can generate enthusiasm too. I would just hate to see Cincinnati sneaking into the ACC while UConn is once again asleep at the wheel.

It was a shock move, even to many in the B1G; but, Maryland was in bad financial shape at the time and needed a boost in revenue beyodn what the ACC was offering plus teh B1G has been eying the DC market for years. Thus, in the current environment, everyone needs help and I simply don't see a match between the ACC or B1G and UConn at this time.

Reaction Score
The same dynamics that drove CR will continue to do so...filling MSG won't be that important...and never really was in CR.

It is about television, the numbers watching....and football has been the sport drawing the numbers.

I do think that UConn, with a football team that was a winner and seen as perenially competitive, could be an attractive match up...ESPN, Fox, et al, will want match ups that interest folks and will draw the numbers.

The most watched BB games in 2019 (truncated season without tournaments)...

Last call for college hoops ratings

2019..Ten regular season BB games of 2 million viewers....111 football games with at least 2 million viewers (not counting the bowls or conference championships for a fair comparison).

Football will, for now, still drive the boat...unless the whole dynamic changes because of covid-19.

Reaction Score
I can't wish enough poor fortune on BC for what they did. They can wallow in misery forever, IMO.

Don't really care what happens to the P5 anymore. Big Time college sports has slowly strangled the golden goose.
I absolutely agree. I would be hilarious is ESPN can't pay them!

Reaction Score
If...things go back to fairly normal...having 111 football games in the season that draw 2 million viewers will mean that the golden goose will still be honking.... and laying them golden eggs.

Reaction Score
Wake averages around 28K per home football game, UConn lucky to average 20K. They seem to do well in their sporting events compared to UConn. I wouldn't pick on Wake, they were a friend. They finished 8-5 in ACC, UConn was what again in the AAC? No stones from people in glass houses right?
The Boneyard always has had a short memory. Prior to several terrible coaching hires by UCONN, one of the recurring themes on here was the need to expand the Rent so forget the
“ lucky to average 20k”. With the right coach ( and I don’t think it’s Randy, , I may be in the minority But I think UCONN can significantly increase attendance again. There are very few schools that (fans) travel as well UCONN. That is well known in basketball and was known in football. If u are using Wake as a stalking horse, Wake could never say that in any sport.

Reaction Score
Wake is in the ACC. P5 Conference. I am not using them as a stalking horse as they are not bankrupt. They have been a friend to UConn, unlike other members of that conference. That is all to which I was referring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom