OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 21 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So far, aside from the obvious impacts, staying home etc.

1. Daughter had SATs cancelled with no notice she showed up and place was locked (with many others). No new tests scheduled. She had been preparing heavily. Now doesn't know when she can take them or what schools we should focus on (assuming we can visit any of them anytime soon). Seems minor but it is extremely stressful for these HS juniors.

2. Good friends have dental practice. They were just told no patients for 3 weeks. That financial hit means they must cancel a two family vacation to Ireland we had planned. So we just cancelled it too. Who knows if we can even travel.

3. Wife's parents are at assisted living. We can't visit them anymore at all. Nor can anyone. They don't let them out of the room at all and drop food off outside their door. So their social interaction is down to zero. Father in law has Alzheimers and it progresses much more rapidly when he isn't out talking to people.

I fear we can expect a huge increase in people who are clinically depressed. A big jump in suicide numbers and domestic violence. And if they don't relax the restrictions soon, violent societal unrest.

Reaction Score

1. Daughter had SATs cancelled with no notice she showed up and place was locked (with many others). No new tests scheduled. She had been preparing heavily. Now doesn't know when she can take them or what schools we should focus on (assuming we can visit any of them anytime soon). Seems minor but it is extremely stressful for these HS juniors.

2. Good friends have dental practice. They were just told no patients for 3 weeks. That financial hit means they must cancel a two family vacation to Ireland we had planned. So we just cancelled it too. Who knows if we can even travel.

3. Wife's parents are at assisted living. We can't visit them anymore at all. Nor can anyone. They don't let them out of the room at all and drop food off outside their door. So their social interaction is down to zero. Father in law has Alzheimers and it progresses much more rapidly when he isn't out talking to people.

I fear we can expect a huge increase in people who are clinically depressed. A big jump in suicide numbers and domestic violence. And if they don't relax the restrictions soon, violent societal unrest.

a family friend who is a dentist isnt accepting teeth cleanings but only doing cavities and that sort of stuff.

Reaction Score

You won't be going on any college visits anytime soon.

People still don't seem to grasp what's going on here. My buddy told me CT. had 10,000 people apply for unemployment yesterday. During the 2008 recession it was 5,000 a week.

We are so late on this and still not doing the necessary things. The way I see it, we have a choice to make. We continue with half measures and have to be comfortable with dealing with this for like a year, having our health system overrun and have like 500,000 to 1-2 million (mostly old people die) or we shut everything down right now like other countries have already done.

Certain parts of America will be shutting everything down within 48 hours I think.

Reaction Score
I feel bad 3 weeks off means no vacation I’m off for 3 weeks probably have to close my business. Different hardships I guess

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So my wife is a pediatric nurse due back from maternity leave April 19th. With the 12 week old daughter at home we’re strongly considering her not going back rather than risk infecting herself/our daughter and or being mandated at the hospital cutting our daughter off from her mother/food source. These are decisions that health professionals have to be making right now. Absolutely terrifying times.

We’re lucky enough to have enough savings where she could take a few months to find a new job. Our biggest concession would be staying in our starter home an extra couple years

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What to do?

Talk of schools shutting down rest of school year which is bad enough but as bad and uncomfortable as that is it can be done and things can go back to normal. Rumors all bars, restaurants, and many other businesses will shut down for 8-9 weeks. These businesses and their employees can't survive if this happens. There's no way the gov't will make them whole, that will be it for them.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I get airlines closing because of the close proximity issue, but why interstates? That seems completely absurd.
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Where is the old guy from the 55+ retirement community who said they didn't cancel anything and nothing matters? How are things going? I think we should get a week to week update on the conditions there as this is just all overblown by the media and you have the real info.
@huskeynut made that boast. Post #62 in this thread. I cringed reading it. Unlike the fools that choose to ride out a hurricane endangering themselves and people who have to rescue them, these fools endanger all of society.

Reaction Score
I hear they are locking down spring break in Florida, kids getting out og control.
I’m in Florida on vacation. Fort Myers downtown was very quiet last weekend before they shut bars down this week. Spring Break kids definitely partying though and acting like it’s a joke or they’re immortal from what I’ve seen. Not a good mix, considering all the elderly here who can be infected.

Reaction Score
I forget if it was this thread or not, but a while back I mentioned that a man in Japan had tested positive for coronavirus and then posted that he would intentionally spread it to people. He subsequently went to various restaurants with the intention of exposing people.

It was announced that he died today. He already had cancer before getting coronavirus.

Reaction Score
I get airlines closing because of the close proximity issue, but why interstates? That seems completely absurd.

It won't really matter anyway - more and more states / cities are going to go to "shelter in place" lockdown so it will be come a police state pretty quickly.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I hear they are locking down spring break in Florida, kids getting out og control.

Anecdotally, no. Beaches are open and plenty of people are there. However............it's mostly locals and people within driving distance. My daughter has been at the beach with her friends everyday since Saturday. The recommendation is to keep in groups of 10 or less but I don't ever remember going to beaches in groups of more than 10- and that includes when I was a college student on spring break. Hanging out in open air and in salt water isn't a good means to transmit the corona.

Bars and clubs (Defined by the state as 50% or more sales through alcohol) closed yesterday at 5pm for 30 days. Restaurants can stay open but must reduce capacity and keep tables at least 6' apart. Some local breweries are having drive through or window sales of growlers and canning beers. I'll do my best to support them as possible.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
a family friend who is a dentist isnt accepting teeth cleanings but only doing cavities and that sort of stuff.

In Mass and RI they were forced to close. It wasn't voluntary.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

We live in a weird society where a majority of the people got the opinion that health related epidemics/pandemics are expected to uniformly affect all age groups, genders, races, economic status, previous health conditions, geographic location......…….....equally. The history of major health crisis says otherwise.

This one is affecting older people and people with existing conditions way harder than healthy youth. I'd put more emphasis on isolating and helping those who are at high risk rather than blanket policies. Good for the kids. Go out, have fun. Be social. Just don't go back home to granny or gramps and tell them about it. Send 'em a text or video message.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You won't be going on any college visits anytime soon.

People still don't seem to grasp what's going on here. My buddy told me CT. had 10,000 people apply for unemployment yesterday. During the 2008 recession it was 5,000 a week.

We are so late on this and still not doing the necessary things. The way I see it, we have a choice to make. We continue with half measures and have to be comfortable with dealing with this for like a year, having our health system overrun and have like 500,000 to 1-2 million (mostly old people die) or we shut everything down right now like other countries have already done.

Certain parts of America will be shutting everything down within 48 hours I think.

Massachusetts is pretty much shut down. Has been since late last week. 20,000 unemployment claims here.

There are no good choices. None. Shutting things down will cause irreparable short and long term damage to tens of millions of people's lives in the United States. Many of them the youngest. And most of the elderly will live. That's where we are. It truly sucks. This isn't half measures. This is extreme measures already.

The only outcome we can hope for is a vaccine within the next 2-3 weeks. Beyond that we are in uncharted waters. The city of Philadelphia just said it's not arresting people anymore for burglary, theft, etc. If you don't think that's a recipe for wide scale public violence I don't know what is.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

So it appears it's up to the local communities what to do with the beaches. Some South Florida beaches are closing. Makes sense. Others, are staying open. Also makes sense.

Reaction Score
We live in a weird society where a majority of the people got the opinion that health related epidemics/pandemics are expected to uniformly affect all age groups, genders, races, economic status, previous health conditions, geographic location......…….....equally. The history of major health crisis says otherwise.

This one is affecting older people and people with existing conditions way harder than healthy youth. I'd put more emphasis on isolating and helping those who are at high risk rather than blanket policies. Good for the kids. Go out, have fun. Be social. Just don't go back home to granny or gramps and tell them about it. Send 'em a text or video message.

What about kids that live with grandparents?

Reaction Score
It won't really matter anyway - more and more states / cities are going to go to "shelter in place" lockdown so it will be come a police state pretty quickly.
The cynic in me thinks they've been itching to practice this for a while now. Now they will have an excuse to test and later perfect. Hope I'm just being paranoid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom