What BET seeding scenario do you prefer? | The Boneyard

What BET seeding scenario do you prefer?

Would you rather UConn get the 3-seed or the 4-seed in the Big East Tournament?

• 3-seed

Votes: 50 50.0%
  • 4-seed

Votes: 50 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
We've batted around the topic long enough. Time to officially go on the record. Would you rather UConn get the 3- or the 4-seed?

Reaction Score
For best path to the final - 4 seed. Personal preference for game times since I will be there Thursday / Friday - 3 seed. Either way don't really care, lets just get the job done!

Reaction Score
Whatever keeps us away from 'Nova till the final.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I think the question is, where would the other teams like us seeded in order to not have to face us…

Reaction Score
The times for the 4 seed work better for me and it's an easier path to the finals.

Reaction Score
Playing at 2:30 on Thursday sucks really bad, but that is literally the only aspect of the 4-seed scenario I find undesirable compared to the alternative.

Tangent: My dream scenario, which is impossible now, would have been to beat Creighton on Thursday (monkey off our back), PC on Friday (beat the 1-seed and prove our condescension all season was warranted), and Nova in the championship (dethrone the king).

Reaction Score
It's a tough call. This team does play better against better teams for the most part so a 4 may be better. But a 3 seed is better for the brand by a slight margin. I voted 3 season because it looks better. I just don't want to face a Michigan or big5 team that happens to win a play in game. I'll always take facing a mid major as opposed to a middle of the pack big 5 school

Reaction Score
To win the BET, I would prefer the 4. I would prefer this to happen with us beating Depaul.

Reaction Score
It's a tough call. This team does play better against better teams for the most part so a 4 may be better. But a 3 seed is better for the brand by a slight margin. I voted 3 season because it looks better. I just don't want to face a Michigan or big5 team that happens to win a play in game. I'll always take facing a mid major as opposed to a middle of the pack big 5 school

Tell Them You Dont Know GIF by Film Riot

Reaction Score
I believe you are referring to the NCAA tourney. The question is about what seed would you prefer in the BET.

Reaction Score

i'd rather play marquette in the second round than hall

it will suck if we never get to play PC again and are left wondering what would have happened in a rematch.

it also gives nova another game for someone to upset them. i'm sick of gillespie and dont care to see and his push offs ever again. i think i might pick Hall to make a run to the finals as a 6 seed on that side of the bracket.

Reaction Score

i'd rather play marquette in the second round than hall.

it will suck if we never get to play PC and are left wondering what would have happened in a rematch.

it also gives nova another game for someone to upset them. i'm sick of gillespie and dont care to see and his push offs ever again.
I'd rather play Hall actually. I know we're 2-0 vs Marquette, but it is tough to beat a team three times. Regardless, there is no team that I am afraid of in the conference so I don't really care who we play. We can beat everyone. We'll have to beat Nova at some point most likely, so who cares if its Friday or Saturday.

Reaction Score
it is tough to beat a team three times.
idk where this saying came from or when it applies.

by that logic should a team prefer to play someone that's already beaten them twice in a season as opposed to someone they have already beaten twice that season? since it's tough to beat a team 3-0?

it's not that tough if you are simply better than the other team and matchup well against them.

Reaction Score
idk where this saying came from or when it applies.

by that logic should a team prefer to play someone that's already beaten them twice in a season as opposed to a someone theyve already beaten twice that season? since it's tougher to sweep a team 3-0?

it's not that tough if you are simply better than the other team and matchup well against them.
It's one thing if it's Gtown and you beat them three times. Marquette is a capable team. Hard to beat capable teams three times. We match up well vs them, yes, but law of averages say they should they should get us in round 3.

Reaction Score
It's one thing if it's Gtown and you beat them three times. Marquette is a capable team. Hard to beat capable teams three times. We match up well vs them, yes, but law of averages say they should they should get us in round 3.
so since we're a capable team, you do think if we had to choose between playing a team we're 2-0 against or a team we're 0-2 against, we'd pick the team that's already beaten us twice based on the law of averages? i think that's crazy talk.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For best path to the final - 4 seed. Personal preference for game times since I will be there Thursday / Friday - 3 seed. Either way don't really care, lets just get the job done!
This is my answer, and why I’m trying to consider that Creighton loss OK - either we won that game and locked up the 3-seed & the evening games, or we lost it but end up with the theoretically easier path to the BET final.

Reaction Score
so since we're a capable team, you do think if we had to choose between playing a team we're 2-0 against or a team we're 0-2 against, we'd pick the team that's already beaten us twice based on the law of averages? i think that's crazy talk.
This argument comes up every year on the Boneyard, and it's been discussed and studied since time began. @ThabeetDown, I recommend you google it. You are really making some unsubstantiated claims.

Reaction Score
I'd rather play Hall actually. I know we're 2-0 vs Marquette, but it is tough to beat a team three times. Regardless, there is no team that I am afraid of in the conference so I don't really care who we play. We can beat everyone. We'll have to beat Nova at some point most likely, so who cares if its Friday or Saturday.
Would be better to get PC and Nova on the schedule for NET purposes. I like our chances against PC more than Nova, as the rubber match will be a coinflip.

Assuming we can take DePaul tomorrow - wins against Marquette, PC, and then a game against Nova give us a real solid shot at the 4 seed. Win the BET and we're a 3 seed.

Reaction Score
This argument comes up every year on the Boneyard, and it's been discussed and studied since time began. @ThabeetDown, I recommend you google it. You are really making some unsubstantiated claims.
Don't belittle me. I know the info. 70% of the time the 2-0 team wins again. However, I am sure most of those games are when good teams face bad teams, hence my Gtown example.

Marquette is a good team. Would you be surprised if we lost to them? If you say no, you're ignorant. I'd rather face a team like Seton Hall which doesn't have the extra motivation having lost to us twice already.

It's unreal how toxic this place can be for expressing an opinion.

Reaction Score
Of course I'd pick Marquette over Creighton. But this was Seton Hall vs Marquette. Completely different scenarios.

Reaction Score
Of course I'd pick Marquette over Creighton. But this was Seton Hall vs Marquette. Completely different scenarios.
just trying to figure out what scenarios the rule applies to. seems to be when the choice is between a capable team we're 2-0 against versus a team we're 1-1 against. but it also seems to be superstitious.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't belittle me. I know the info. 70% of the time the 2-0 team wins again. However, I am sure most of those games are when good teams face bad teams, hence my Gtown example.

Marquette is a good team. Would you be surprised if we lost to them? If you say no, you're ignorant. I'd rather face a team like Seton Hall which doesn't have the extra motivation having lost to us twice already.

Your rebuttal came across as much more rude then his statement. If anyone was trying to belittle anyone it seems like you were.

Reaction Score

People who wouldn't be surprised if we lost to Marquette are ignorant?

Reaction Score
No, but is Seton Hall not also a good team, one that was good enough to already beat us when we played a really good offensive game (albeit at their place)?

Seton Hall is ranked better in every metric than Marquette (NET, KenPom, SOR, KPI, Sagarin, and BPI) despite finishing lower in the Big East standings. They've won 7 of their last 9 games, compared to Marquette which has won only 4 of their last 9.

Not to mention the matchup advantage we have vs. Marquette compared to Seton Hall. We have no good defensive options for Richmond (our best plan was to double and leave a shooter wide open) and Seton Hall has the size to combat us inside. Meanwhile we've owned Kuath and Ighodaro, and have plenty of options to throw at Lewis (or just let him get his, whereas Hall still has other threats aside from Richmond like Rhoden).

On a neutral court, I don't think the emotional grudge will make up the difference in their form, quality, or the matchup deficiency.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom