OT: - What are you doing about your gym membership? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: What are you doing about your gym membership?

Reaction Score
Anytime fitness is still charging full rate and they made me sign a contract. I miss planet fitness but a 20 minute drive from West Hartford was keeping me from going enough. I won’t renew my anytime membership when it expires.
Don’t understand how they can charge you. They aren’t delivering on their bargain

Reaction Score
Thank you.

Strength training is very difficult right now and most people don't have the equipment at home, and you can only improvise so much with at home items. You're right, working out is a stress outlet and a healthy routine for a lot of people and it's tough when you don't have that available to you. My bad habits/vices are creeping back in and I need to put a stop to it...
Get a TRX.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Thank you.

Strength training is very difficult right now and most people don't have the equipment at home, and you can only improvise so much with at home items. You're right, working out is a stress outlet and a healthy routine for a lot of people and it's tough when you don't have that available to you. My bad habits/vices are creeping back in and I need to put a stop to it...

Couches are heavy. Pick it up 12 times, rest for nine seconds and then pick it up 23 times.

Warm down by carrying the coffee table seven feet.

Feel like you should be paying me for this.

Reaction Score
Our local Anytime Fitness has suspended its charges until the state reopens. I have invested in a Concept 2 indoor rower but very much miss the companionship of the other regulars.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We go walk a trail in the a local park. Its challenging and fun but we miss the gym.
Yeah all the walks are just not the same. Especially if you have an Apple Watch watch and see your 3 mile hour long walk was good for 200 calories and 10 minutes of actual exercise.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah all the walks are just not the same. Especially if you have an Apple Watch watch and see your 3 mile hour long walk was good for 200 calories and 10 minutes of actual exercise.
You could try picking up the pace a bit, or mixing intervals of running and walking, to raise your heart rate into the cardio zone. If I'm walking, I try to do a pace of four miles an hour or more; or I will run for a few miles and then walk a mile. Hiking at a good clip will also do the trick.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You could try picking up the pace a bit, or mixing intervals of running and walking, to raise your heart rate into the cardio zone. If I'm walking, I try to do a pace of four miles an hour or more; or I will run for a few miles and then walk a mile. Hiking at a good clip will also do the trick.
I could do much more without the wife and baby in tow.

Reaction Score
I have some dumbbells and a straight bar with free weights in my apartment so I can get close to my normal routine. But as soon LA Fitness opens back up I'll be back within a week and just take extra precautions with wiping everything down

Reaction Score
I have a bench, bar and free weights my cellar. I follow a pretty strict 50-minute routine every other day. I take every other day off. I am more faithful to the routine because the quarantine doesn't offer any excuses to skip it. I actually quit my gym in January.

Reaction Score
I'm fully outfitted at home but mostly use kettlebells and bw for workouts. But I have been on my treadmill just to keep me off my ass all day. Just binge watched Car Masters which is worth checking out for the engine mechanic alone :)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
life is my gym. no freeweights in the store to buy? get a cinderblock or such at home depot.
i give ol' bernie credit for being a woodchopper.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone else going to base future consumer decisions on the way companies behaved during this crisis? In a moment of weakness I agreed to a cruise. Luckily, it was cancelled and I will eventually get my money back if NCL doesn't go under. However, I'm not happy with the way they did business and I will never patronize them again, ever.

OTOH, LA Fitness suspended billing once they closed and they will give refunds for dues paid in advance. And I just got a note saying that they are giving me a month on the house. Credit where credit is due.

Reaction Score
Thank you.

In response to SuperJohn, and to others, I would like to recommend some things that I use for my “home gym.” It is in my basement.

• Use resistance bands.
I had a personal trainer at a facility now closed under the state guidelines. He would show me exercises with resistance bands. Resistance bands are a safer modality than free weights because you can better gauge when you are doing it right when you can get full backward extension with the band. In other words, you can move closer to the anchor or farther away if need be, to get the proper form. Want to be able to pull it back so the shoulder blades can touch each other.

If it is too easy, you get a band with more resistance.

Performbetter.com is a good site to order resistance bands. They are not ridiculously priced.

• Resistance bands allow you to do exercises that are similar to, or the functional equivalent of, what you would do with a cable weight machine.

Examples: You want to do a triceps pulldown or a lat pulldown, buy a cheap door anchor and put the bands through it, sit on a kneeling pad and if close, and the proper band given your strength capability, pull down on it. It very much resembles a cable weight triceps pull. Same with the lat pulldown but you are farther away from the door.

Also, you can wrap the band around a support beam in the basement and do a paloof press.
  • The Inertia Wave. Gronk sell it. It consists of two thin yellow cables, maybe weighing two pounds. You can see it if you google it. Much less stress than battling ropes, and burns lots of calories. It is an interval exercise meaning you get real tired and would do it for short periods of high intensity interval training. Costs $100.
  • TRX. See trx.com. Buy a door anchor and this build strength. It is a body weight thing. Plenty of videos on You Tube. Maybe costs $100.
  • Stepper. That is what it is called. Comes with pylons to elevate it. Have a weight in the left and step up with the left foot and as you come up, raise up your right foot (balance concept) and bring the right foot down. Left foot stays on platform and do 12 reps. alternate with other foot. This builds strength and balance. Not a lot of money and it burns calories.
  • Standing punching bag. Punch with it, but also for cardio, turn it into your own rebounder. Kneel on a pad a few feet away and throw a beach ball or light stability ball (buy it online and inflate it). The ball comes back to you from the standing punching bag. Keep throwing and catching for 5 minutes. You’ll huff and puff because it is a cardio movement.
  • Low cost exercise bike and you can pedal backwards with it. MaxKare recumbent on Amazon. Maybe $160, but needs assembly. Had it 4 months. So far, so good.
    Have a weight in each hand as you pedal. It burns more calories.

Enjoy the sights. I do my exercises in front of a Roku TV. In YouTube, I select any one of:
    cycling Lago Italy
    Big Sur drive
    Train ride alps
    Venice Beach cycling

Like the Peloton principle but no fee.

Listen to your favorite rocker on your sound system. I like George Thorogood.

Hope this is helpful.

Reaction Score
Confused GIFs | Tenor

Reaction Score
Stretching exercises every day. Work out with 15 and 25lb dumbbells every other day. Walk or bike in the neighborhood or trails everyday. Do my own landscaping and lawn care. Just try to remain active and have done stuff like disconnecting and then becoming the garage door opener.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom