OT: - What are you doing about your gym membership? | The Boneyard

OT: What are you doing about your gym membership?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I try to run and/or walk outside most days, but I've had a Planet Fitness "Black Card" membership for several years because it's cheap, it gives me the chance to mix it up and take a break from running when I need to, and I work all over the state so it gives me an opportunity to get a workout in no matter where I am. They have automatically frozen all memberships during the shutdown and say that they will not be charging anyone until your "home" gym is reopened, but I'm thinking that's going to be quite a while, and also wondering how much longer it will be before I am comfortable going back to a gym. I hate gyms--and especially lockerrooms--to begin with and just see it as a necessary evil to keep up regular exercise, but I can't think of many places that are more of a petri dish for diseases to spread, so I'm wondering if I will ever want to go back to one again.

Similarly, I am thinking that the whole industry is going to be in trouble for longer than most because I think a lot of people will not be going back. Curious what the other people here with gym memberships think.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I will go back to my gym which is part of my golf club. I don't use the lockers, showers sauna or steam though as I think they are MRSA waiting to happen - now COVID! I am hoping they open up our pools though and also reopen our beaches for exercise only. (I am in Clearwater FL and we were rightfully embarrassed on national TV). I am still playing golf but with significant restrictions.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I never worried about germs before and I think I will eventually get back to that point. I liked having the lap pool to myself when I actually made it in.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I will be back as soon as it opens. One of the things I miss right now is the ritual of leaving work. Getting a preworkout drink. Sitting in my car listening to some sports talk glazing through the last emails of the day. Getting my workout in. Grabbing a shake and taking the scenic way home.

Reaction Score
The industry will not die out because “gym culture” is the new hipster. That being said I will likely cancel if I can’t get my 20/month reduced. This lockdown has shown me that I can just run 4 miles a day on my street instead of the treadmill.

Reaction Score
Anytime fitness is still charging full rate and they made me sign a contract. I miss planet fitness but a 20 minute drive from West Hartford was keeping me from going enough. I won’t renew my anytime membership when it expires.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Bought Bowflex adjustable freeweights and an adjustable bench a while back. Can't do machine exercises obviously but I've been mixing and matching workouts for a few weeks now and I figure between that and a steady diet of chicken McNuggets I should look like DK Metcalf in no time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My community has it’s own gym ,however it’s been closed for 4-5 weeks ,plus the community center,pools, and all entertainment and classes.
A few people were complaining there was no reduction of HOA fees
so we are still paying.

Reaction Score
People miss out on a lot of free exercise. Turn your garden with a shovel rather than a roto-tiller. Use a push mower rather than a rider. Try speed mowing and timing yourself. Stairs rather then the elevator. Park on the perimeter of the parking lot and speed walk into the store.

Reaction Score
Equinox froze everything back in March. Not sure if I’ll go back.

Reaction Score
I belong to a Planet Fitness on the white card, so it's a easy $10/month.

I love the gym, it's only 3/4 miles from my house, it's kinda crappy and not a lot of people go there so I often work on everything I need with no one nearby.

I'm a walker (rather than a runner), so the gym doesn't matter since I never do cardio at the gym, but I do miss the heavier free weights, some machines (especially lat machines) and Smith racks for squats/deadlifts.

Reaction Score
My gym is cheap so I don't really care that they keep charging. It's also almost assuredly owned by an organized crime element so I don't anticipate that they'll be cutting any breaks. It's my trainer that's expensive as hell and I haven't seen him since the lockdown. He built a home gym in the interim but that feels irresponsible so I'm going to wait until the gym opens up, and I didn't use the locker room or showers before so I'm not going to start now.

I have an airdyne bike, some dumbells and a (moronic looking) weighted vest for cardio in our pool house, so I can do most of whatever I need at home. One thing I have noticed: I have set my alarm for 4:00 or 4:30 every morning for the last decade or so so I can get up early enough to get a workout in at the gym before work. It took me maybe 2 weeks before I was sleeping until 730 every morning. It's going to be brutal re-adjusting to the early mornings.

Reaction Score
My gym sent an email they suspended billing when this all started and they're offering an extra free month or a free three month membership to a family member or friend. I'll be back as soon as it opens and just wipe down the equipment more than usual and wash my hands more than usual. Public locker rooms are always fairly disgusting so I always shower at home. Luckily I have a couple 50 lb. dumbells at home to get me by, a lot better than nothing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Any business that relies on people gathering in any numbers is going to be in trouble in the short term and medium term.

Part of the issue will be just a fear of rejoining society and its inherent germs and part of it will be that some people discover that they did not miss it when it was gone.

Reaction Score
I go to the ymca downtown which i love but I’m still being charged. I can cancel at anytime but when they shut down they made the case that it’s a nonprofit and supports a lot of things for underprivileged kids, etc so they were going to continue to charge. The April payment was taken out today. I can cancel and renew at anytime which I’m sure a lot of people have done. I doubt that’s going over well with most of the members.
I’ve been doing a lot of pullups, dips and pushups at the park and running at the track but I really miss lifting weights.

Reaction Score
I am in the unfortunate situation where I own two F45 Training fitness studios in FF county. When we were forced to closed we immediately froze all memberships. Not wanting to lay off our full time staff, we created an "at-home" workout platform where you can join for a fraction of the normal membership price. We offer daily 45 minute recorded workouts (recorded by our staff) through a private YouTube link and also daily live Zoom workouts where our trainers coach the class over Zoom (in addition to accountability coaches, nutrition advice, etc). It's not ideal having to workout at home, but for most it's the only option right now. Selling these at home memberships has been able to keep us afloat and not have to lay off any of our full time staff. If anyone is looking to stay in shape during this time or want to try some of our workouts for free, I'm happy to send some your way.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Planet Fitness for over 20 years
I miss it a lot
Glad it stays lighter out so I can continue my 2.5 mile walk but honestly would rather do it at the gym reading my WW2 spy novels on my Kindle

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I am in the unfortunate situation where I own two F45 Training fitness studios in FF county. When we were forced to closed we immediately froze all memberships. Not wanting to lay off our full time staff, we created an "at-home" workout platform where you can join for a fraction of the normal membership price. We offer daily 45 minute recorded workouts (recorded by our staff) through a private YouTube link and also daily live Zoom workouts where our trainers coach the class over Zoom (in addition to accountability coaches, nutrition advice, etc). It's not ideal having to workout at home, but for most it's the only option right now. Selling these at home memberships has been able to keep us afloat and not have to lay off any of our full time staff. If anyone is looking to stay in shape during this time or want to try some of our workouts for free, I'm happy to send some your way.

Mrs. Diesel is a fitness instructor at a pay as you go fitness studio.

They have done similar things with video training.
She also did one on one fitness training and has been able to continue doing that; either at customers home or location of choosing or at studio. Only two people so keeping distance is easy. She hasn't lost any clients.

She also does meal planning and meal prep via online payments and that has done really good since people are eating more at home.

Her biggest loss has been her own ability to train with her trainer since she trains at a powerlifting gym. That is closed so she is doing more reps with lower weights at the studio and at home.

Reaction Score
I am in the unfortunate situation where I own two F45 Training fitness studios in FF county. When we were forced to closed we immediately froze all memberships. Not wanting to lay off our full time staff, we created an "at-home" workout platform where you can join for a fraction of the normal membership price. We offer daily 45 minute recorded workouts (recorded by our staff) through a private YouTube link and also daily live Zoom workouts with our trainers coach the class over Zoom (in addition to accountability coaches, nutrition advice, etc). It's not ideal having to workout at home, but for most it's the only option right now. Selling these at home memberships has been able to keep us afloat and not have to lay off any of our full time staff. If anyone is looking to stay in shape during this time or want to try some of our workouts for free, I'm happy to send some your way.
It's really bad in terms of strength training. I'm not looking to buy anything but looked up home gym equipment just to see what people are doing and there's a bunch of articles since this all started that weights and other equipment are sold out everywhere and since it's not deemed essential people are allowed to price gouge as much as they want. It sucks because working out is really important to a lot of people and a lot of people with alcohol and drug addiction turned to fitness as their healthy outlet.

I hope you don't take much of a hit and the gov't takes care of you.

Reaction Score
It's really bad in terms of strength training. I'm not looking to buy anything but looked up home gym equipment just to see what people are doing and there's a bunch of articles since this all started that weights and other equipment are sold out everywhere and since it's not deemed essential people are allowed to price gouge as much as they want. It sucks because working out is really important to a lot of people and a lot of people with alcohol and drug addiction turned to fitness as their healthy outlet.

I hope you don't take much of a hit and the gov't takes care of you.
Thank you.

Strength training is very difficult right now and most people don't have the equipment at home, and you can only improvise so much with at home items. You're right, working out is a stress outlet and a healthy routine for a lot of people and it's tough when you don't have that available to you. My bad habits/vices are creeping back in and I need to put a stop to it...

Reaction Score
Planet Fitness for over 20 years
I miss it a lot
Glad it stays lighter out so I can continue my 2.5 mile walk but honestly would rather do it at the gym reading my WW2 spy novels on my Kindle
What novels?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom