What are UConn's weaknesses? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What are UConn's weaknesses?

Reaction Score
1) Size
While Gabby and Collier offer some rim protection via their athleticism, nobody has the size to defend against a true post for 40 minutes.

2) On-ball defense
Our guards with the exception of Nurse sometimes struggle to contain penetration, which can lead to layups or kick-out 3's. Big halves given up to Temple and USF come to mind. We've also had a few teams go off from deep, which is the only way we can lose.

3) Depth
There are only 6 players whom Geno really wants to have out there in a tight/competitive game. Foul trouble -- particularly to Collier or Williams -- can cause the offense to become stagnant at times.

Reaction Score
While on the whole I think the team defense is pretty good, there seems to be a glaring weakness that shows up fairly often. They are lousy at defending the 3 ball against teams that have shooters. Today and the last game showed that to some extent. Usually that has been buried by a lopsided score, but there have been a few times, including Tulane, where it was evident.
In one respect they have gotten better. For a good part of the season there were often shooters beyond the arc left wide open; no one even near them. Now that doesn't happen except occasionally. But even now opponents that try seem to get off and make threes with regularity.
Eliminate or minimize that problem and I don't think there is a team that has a chance to hang with them.

Reaction Score
Fouls and injuries are the biggest scares. If the officiating puts our starters on the bench, we will be "weak." If we have a 20-point lead, the bench can hold the fort until the regulars come back in or we reach the final buzzer.

Reaction Score
If Lou gets her shooting touch back on track (and that appears to be a very big "IF" at present), no one will touch this fantastic team. To me, this is currently the only real weakness UConn has. However. UConn will be very hard to beat even if Lou has yet another mediocre game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"We're pretty good," Auriemma said after a 105-57 win over Tulsa in the conference tournament quarterfinals. "I mean, I've gotta say that. We're pretty good. I can't deny it. At some point I'm going to have to say we're really good. But we're pretty good right now."

UConn Women Hit Postseason With Emphatic 105-57 Win Over Tulsa

That's our weakness. Or, Geno has just put a little Geno fuel in out team's tank.

Reaction Score
Greatest weakness? those depressing gray (or whatever color that is ) Nike uniforms. It must be difficult for the players to recognize each other in those uglies. Hopefully, we wear white the rest of the year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
"We're pretty good," Auriemma said after a 105-57 win over Tulsa in the conference tournament quarterfinals. "I mean, I've gotta say that. We're pretty good. I can't deny it. At some point I'm going to have to say we're really good. But we're pretty good right now."

UConn Women Hit Postseason With Emphatic 105-57 Win Over Tulsa

That's our weakness. Or, Geno has just put a little Geno fuel in out team's tank.
Note that Geno has 3 different levels of approval:

Pretty good
Really good
Really really good

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member