What are UConn's weaknesses? | The Boneyard

What are UConn's weaknesses?

Reaction Score
I'm posting this in all seriousness. GA has spoken about how his team's weaknesses get hidden by their strengths, so I'd like to hear your opinions. Here's my "list":
1) Depth off the bench. This to me is their most glaring weakness. After CD and NB, there's not much else. Gene obviously doesn't trust the other 2 frosh at this point, they'd only see time in an emergency. Foul trouble or (God forbid) an injury could be devastating.
2) A starter with "take charge in the tournament" credentials. No disrespect to our starting 5, cuz they're tremendous, but last year and the year before they were bench or role players on the floor. Now it's on them, and they haven't been in a "one and done" situation yet. Winning the games early was fantastic, but if they had lost one of those early season matchups, their season wasn't over. Now we're at that point where if you lose, you go home.

That's all I can think of. What have you got?

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, yeah. They have "the shorts"; short bench, short front line, short tourney experience. However, they also have "the longs"; long on talent, long on teamwork, long on confidence, long on heart. I like their chances against anyone.

Reaction Score
Size, bench and youth.
Youth is broad. A night which they miss a ton of open outside shots / maybe don't adapt well etc.

Reaction Score
2) A starter with "take charge in the tournament" credentials. No disrespect to our starting 5, cuz they're tremendous, but last year and the year before they were bench or role players on the floor. Now it's on them, and they haven't been in a "one and done" situation yet. Winning the games early was fantastic, but if they had lost one of those early season matchups, their season wasn't over. Now we're at that point where if you lose, you go home.
Not sure about your point here, which seems to drift between needing a take-charge player and a deeper bench.

But, to address the "absence" of a take-charge player, that Geno also moans about. I think that's a lot of hooey. Of course, there is no D or Maya out there, but even Stewie couldn't match the leadership of those two. Geno was always complaining about Stewie for that. But look at every single big game this year, and one or more Huskies stepped up really, really big time. No, they didn't yell like D or be everywhere on the court simultaneously like Maya, but who can? They played by example. So, while sure, the thin bench, and especially the forward/center position is a really, really big worry (fouls, injuries), I don't worry about leadership at all. These guys--each and everyone of them--are really, really tough.

Reaction Score
The weaknesses are more on the defensive side:
a. Some of the players are struggling to defend one on one against the drive. The starting 5 are doing a great job in switching on defense against pick and roll but if an opposing players go one on one against UConn, only Kia and Gabby can keep players consistently in front of them.
b. When Butler is in the game the switching on defense are slower and less effective.
c. When Danger is in the game, teams try to shoot over her and use her small size against her.
d. Foul trouble (especially to Gabby and Collier).

Reaction Score
Geno always uses 6-7 players during the tournament so i don't see a short bench. Out of all the wcbb teams only uconn has experienced players in the NC game.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Size and Bench Scoring Points. If Crystal comes in for Kia and Saniya, you almost expect her to score the same amount of points if both continued to play. Now if she has another game like Baylor, then that would make a huge difference. Can't rely on Natalie to score points against elite post players. Huge drop off when Gabby or Napheesa have to go to the bench for a rest or foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Tired. UConn works so hard that they are tired by the time that they get to the game.

Reaction Score
I am going to watch UCONN play today if available in PNW market (which will be the 2nd game I've seen of UCONN this year). I'm hoping Kia Nurse is playing as the game I saw she was still in the boot. I'll give my response after, although, I'm sure it will be a very short list.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Whatever weakness opposing teams tried to exploit against the Huskies this season hasn't worked, at least not for 40 minutes. This team is just too talented, too smart and too tough. They simply adjust to whatever is thrown their way.

I suspect that coaching staffs in Waco, South Bend, Columbia, College Park & elsewhere are up at night trying to figure out how to beat UConn, while the short Italian coach in Storrs probably sleeps like a baby.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the big 'playing' weakness is that they cannot defend the post one on one. This has not been the situation in years, but Geno cannot let either Gabby or Napheesa defend straight up on any good post player, so they are constantly supplying help and cheating off the wings. When the ball goes inside successfully, the whole defense is in motion with help and rotations to cover for the helping defender, and that means they are leaving someone open somewhere, usually on the three point line. To date they have been somewhat fortunate in their ability to recover, and the opponents' inabilities to punish. They have probably gotten as many steals as they have given up made baskets against the strong post offenses they have faced - a wash that has neutralized that perceived advantage. But ... it only take one of those teams to find the right movement into and out from the post to regain the advantage. (It is one reason I fear coaches like Tara (and luckily there aren't many) who have the ability to break down the defense and teach her players how to attack. And why I am glad she has chosen not to expose her team to UConn the last few years!)

Reaction Score
I think the big 'playing' weakness is that they cannot defend the post one on one. This has not been the situation in years, but Geno cannot let either Gabby or Napheesa defend straight up on any good post player, so they are constantly supplying help and cheating off the wings. When the ball goes inside successfully, the whole defense is in motion with help and rotations to cover for the helping defender, and that means they are leaving someone open somewhere, usually on the three point line. To date they have been somewhat fortunate in their ability to recover, and the opponents' inabilities to punish. They have probably gotten as many steals as they have given up made baskets against the strong post offenses they have faced - a wash that has neutralized that perceived advantage. But ... it only take one of those teams to find the right movement into and out from the post to regain the advantage. (It is one reason I fear coaches like Tara (and luckily there aren't many) who have the ability to break down the defense and teach her players how to attack. And why I am glad she has chosen not to expose her team to UConn the last few years!)
great analysis. Next year with Z, no problem, of course. And this year, the saving grace for UConn is that, once NCAA tournament play begins things get compressed and you have to assure a win against your next opponent, rather than looking ahead to a possible game with UConn. So, maybe no one is either able or has the time to figure this out this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the bench - emergency minutes from Kyla and Bent are available - people sort of forget what a solid job they did in the Baylor game in the first half. Kyla is much improved though I think Bent has regressed a bit. They aren't going to get minutes in a competitive game unless there is a problem, but I think they are both 'better' than many of the non-playing benches we have had over the years.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Rather than focus on our supposed "weaknesses" and how to exploit them, I would be worried that my team cannot keep up with UConn for 40 minutes. There is no way UConn does not go 150% - 100% of the time. Look at all the top teams we have played. Come the 4th quarter UConn pulls away and other teams are literally sucking wind.

UConn's biggest weakness is foul trouble. We can't afford to have Pheesa or Gabby on the bench for long stretches. That's just reality.
Unless the zebras go crazy, I don't see foul trouble coming.

Reaction Score
I am going to watch UCONN play today if available in PNW market (which will be the 2nd game I've seen of UCONN this year). I'm hoping Kia Nurse is playing as the game I saw she was still in the boot. I'll give my response after, although, I'm sure it will be a very short list.

It seems like you are trying to get some sort of feel for the UCONN team. Is it because you think Oregon State may ultimately match up with them? If you wanted you can go to the below site. If these are the cases you can get a better feel by going to the link below. The site has all the husky games.

2016-2017 Women’s Basketball Game Replays

Reaction Score
The thing is, Geno speaks of "weaknesses" and sure, every team has them... but to date NO TEAM has been able to exploit UCONN's "weaknesses." And why not? Because UCONN has Geno and they don't! Geno and his Assistant Coaches have the ability to work around any particular weaknesses they may have against a particular team and eliminate, or at least minimize them. Geno and his Assistants push the right buttons, pull the right levers, get the absolute most out of their players when they need it. Some of my favorite moments this season... (1) Baylor Game... Geno says to Crystal... "Win this game today!!!"... somehow he knew that giving Crystal that encouragement at that time and permission to "go for it" was what She and the Team needed...and she delivered! (2) Can't remember the game, but a Phe and Gabby were deep in foul trouble (as I recall one of them was out of the game on fouls), and Lou picked up her 4th. While foul shots were being taken, she was along the sideline talking to Geno...she said "I have 4 fouls"... Geno replied..."Not my fault!" with the unspoken words being, I need you in this game and need you to finish the game...which she did.
Anyway...We have Geno (and assistants) and "they" don't...and thus weaknesses have been and will be overcome! Go Huskies!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The points everyone has made in answer to the OP's inquiry were insightful and on point. We're now at that point in the season where it's time to increase our focus and resolve, and hone in on these last 9 games. Whatever weaknesses or short comings UConn has, they will just have to deal with it as they go along. There's nothing they can do to change their situation now. Geno and his staff know all too well where they stand, the tasks in front of them, and the resources available to them.

They know who can do what, and who they can count on in a pinch. This is not their first rodeo. Few teams in the tournament have been as far or deep into the tournament as UConn has recently. UConn has more post-season experience than most other teams. Everyone (7) except the 3 freshmen have post season experience. There are only a few teams that have any players that have great eight or beyond experience. They graduated players also.

I'm of the opinion that UConn doesn't need to be concerned about other teams; what they do or don't have, rather those teams need to be concerned about us. We're the elephant in the room. We're the only team in Division 1 that has not lost a game yet. We're the only team that has been able to figure it out!! We've play great defense too, along with having a starting 5 that's almost impossible to stop.

UConn has been here the last four years, and came out smelling like a rose. They know exactly what they are doing, and they know what's coming. In Geno we trust. He's proven to be the best women's college basketball coach of all time, and that means something. He'll get everything he needs from every player on his roster. They're all poised and ready to give him 100%. If one is not careful, one can find himself on that slippery slope of trying to "over analyze" the team's position in these next 9 games. It may be wise to just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. It's going to be fun.

Fear not, Geno's in charge. He's the best resource and factor UConn has going for it. The other teams have to try and psyche themselves up into thinking they can do something no other team has done this year....................beat UConn. You don't worry about beating a team you've already defeated. What ever (who ever) your strength is, Geno will take it from you (or minimize it). How many times have we seen the Huskies neutralize the other team's best player(s)? It was not by accident, it was by design. We have Geno, and they don't!!!! UConn will be fine. One more thing, have a nice day. :)

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
UCONN's only weakness has already become it's strength :)
1) There are currently no All Americans on the team...
and because of that, the returning players became better with each game, turning that one weakness into a well developed pair of triceps..

Short bench?, when was the last time Geno relied on a deep bench? 7-8 is the most to play come tournament time
This is what will make next year so interesting.. what will be his approach to manage all that talent.

Leadership? Versatility has been his amo for a while now and that has also carried over to the leadership as well, someone always does what is needed, which leaves a troubling task for all opponents which head will you attempt to cut off, because while you are busy trying to do that, another head or two will pop up and provide the fatal bite(s) required to get the job done

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Forgot to add one thing:

All the UConn starters can burn you for double figures. You can't play gimmick defenses and leave someone open. They make you pay - BIG TIME!

Reaction Score
Not clear to me that the team has any significant weakness that they cannot control though strategy and tactics....however , one of the risks we have in any game is referee volatility from game to game. We all worry about foul trouble particularly if the game is being called tight. Although it appears as if Geno has done a masterful job of preparing his team to limit unwise fouls. The risk that I worry about is a game where the refs let everything go. Some of the teams are coached to clutch , grab, push and in some cases off the ball punch our players which helps negate our speed, quickness and off the ball movement advantages. If they call an average game we will be ok.

Reaction Score
It seems like you are trying to get some sort of feel for the UCONN team. Is it because you think Oregon State may ultimately match up with them? If you wanted you can go to the below site. If these are the cases you can get a better feel by going to the link below. The site has all the husky games.

2016-2017 Women’s Basketball Game Replays
Watching the game now. I don't know that UCONN has any "real" weaknesses. There have been some that have suggested that the best match up teams are those that can score with UCONN. I think the best match up for UCONN is a stout defensive minded team with great rebounders. UCONN is so amazing on the offensive side of the ball, that the only way to rattle them is to get them in a close, defensive battle. Try to limit their runs, and ultimately get the game to a final possession. I don't know if there really is a team in the NCAA that meets this profile. But I want to see UCONN play a PAC-12 team (or 2) in the NCAA Tournament, to see if PAC-12 can hang with the best.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Watching the game now. I don't know that UCONN has any "real" weaknesses. There have been some that have suggested that the best match up teams are those that can score with UCONN. I think the best match up for UCONN is a stout defensive minded team with great rebounders. UCONN is so amazing on the offensive side of the ball, that the only way to rattle them is to get them in a close, defensive battle. Try to limit their runs, and ultimately get the game to a final possession. I don't know if there really is a team in the NCAA that meets this profile. But I want to see UCONN play a PAC-12 team (or 2) in the NCAA Tournament, to see if PAC-12 can hang with the best.
The reason people talk of being able to score with UConn is that even really good defensive teams have a very hard time keep UConn under 70 points, with slowing the pace and using the shot clock to reduce possessions. So being able to score against the UConn defense is really important, otherwise it doesn't matter how well you defend they are still going to get their 70+. Two teams were able to keep UConn under 70 this year - SC who slowed the game down and played solid defense, and Tulane where UConn laid their one egg of the year. SC still lost by 11 and Tulane lost by only 3. Baylor, ND, and Texas kept them to 72 points and lost by 11, 11, and 18.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
In this game is wasn't fouls as they only committed six. Plus, an amazing five turnovers for the entire game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom