What are the most interesting places in the USA you have not been to? | The Boneyard

What are the most interesting places in the USA you have not been to?

Reaction Score
Do a Top 3 or Top 5 or Top 10 or Top 25 or whatever you want!

For me, it is a Top 12.
1. New Orleans
2. Seattle/Spokane Washington
3. Portland Oregon
4. San Diego
5. San Francisco
6. Santa Fe, New Mexico
7. Mountains of West Virginia, don't ask me why.
8. Small towns in Indiana like Bloomington, Carmel, Fishers, Zionsville, etc.
9. The Great Lakes, at least 2 of them.
10. Austin, Texas
11. Yellowstone
12. Hawaii, but I'd have to do some research to go to a more secluded or less known, but still beautiful place.

On the flipside, never been interested in LA or Vegas.

The crazy thing is, I have been to more countries (35) than states (18) and one of those, Michigan, was when I was 18 months and that also counts DC. I have lived in more countries (5) than states (4) but again, that also counts DC.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I suppose Alaska would be #1 on my list, followed by Jackson Hole/Yellowstone and SW Montana. If I could immerse myself for a couple weeks or so, maybe really getting into Mississippi Blues country near Clarksville/Delta region running up to Memphis.

I spent a week in Tulsa one Tuesday. I can skip everything between Kansas City and Denver and from Dallas to Minot.

I've been in 37 states to date. 27 of them more than once and long enough to get a good feel. The other 10 generally just one time and one city for 2-3 days on business, but I don't recall any of those I'm really angling to go back to. On the 13 I haven't been to, eight of those I'm not interested in anything more than sticking my big toe across the border just to say I did.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1. Vegas- I'll probably break the seal on that one later this year.
2 NYC- Technically I've been there but I think the last time was 1998?? Been a while. Same could be said for Boston. I think it's been since the 80's since I've been there.
3. Grand Canyon. Flown over it a bunch, never seen it at eye level.
4. Hawaii. Because I've never been there.

I'm somewhere in the low 40's for states visited. Somewhere in the 20's for countries visited.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've been to a lot of places in the USA. For people who haven't been to the South Carolina Low Country or Savannah, it is a nice area. San Francisco is overrated. Napa/Sonoma is maybe underrated. These are on my remaining list.

1. Yellowstone and surrounding areas
2. Grand Canyon and southern Utah (John Ford movie country)
3. Florida Keys
4. Alaska
5. Hawaii

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yellowstone keeps popping up. Been there several times. The thermal features are fairly unique and there's a very good chance you will have very close encounters w/ large wildlife. I'm usually ready to leave Yellowstone after half a day or so. Traffic on the roads can be obnoxious. For mountainous scenery, just east of the National Park along the Beartooth Highway is infinitely better. Beartooth Pass (11,000'+) is spectacular. Also straight south of Yellowstone, Teton National Park is much more stunning scenery.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yellowstone keeps popping up. Been there several times. The thermal features are fairly unique and there's a very good chance you will have very close encounters w/ large wildlife. I'm usually ready to leave Yellowstone after half a day or so. Traffic on the roads can be obnoxious. For mountainous scenery, just east of the National Park along the Beartooth Highway is infinitely better. Beartooth Pass (11,000'+) is spectacular. Also straight south of Yellowstone, Teton National Park is much more stunning scenery.

That’s what I meant by “surrounding areas”. I’ve heard similar reports from others. Still a bucket list item.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Alaska should take up about 5 slots on a list. It's massive. I spent about a week visiting my brother in Fairbanks w/ a few side trips (went a little bit into Denali NP). I don't feel like I even started to see or experience Alaska. I can't even wrap my head around the concept of a place so big.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Something very specific on my bucket list is Titcomb Basin in the Wind River Range in Wyoming. I've seen pictures. It looks amazing. I did a brief backpacking trip into another part of the Winds, Cirque of the Towers. Fairly legendary among climbers.

So many places I haven't been. Haven't been in New England at all. Plenty there I would like to check out. Maybe Acadia NP at the top of the list.

I've seen a bit of the desert southwest, but haven't been to the Grand Canyon or Moab/Arches NP or Canyonlands NP. I've seen a bit of Colorado but I've heard the San Juan Range is really nice, haven't been there. Also the Sange de Cristo Range.

There are a ton of places I've been to but would like to go back to and explore more. Too many to list.

Cities don't interest me much. It's all about the scenery when I think about where I would like to go. I'm kinda snobbish about the Western half of the country, but there's some cool stuff east of the Mississippi too.

Reaction Score
Alaska
Las Vegas
Hawaii
Yosemite
Grand Canyon

Will be making my second trip to Yellowstone and Teton this summer. You can cover Yellowstone in 2 days, and yes it can get crazy, but it is absolutely worth the visit. Start in Bozeman and work in a trip to the Hyalite Reservoir and Palisades falls.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Everyone just go to Alaska.

I would spend a year there if I could.

Reaction Score
The Great Smoky Mountains!

I got to the highest point.
It's a 7 mile drive from Newfound Gap Road to the parking area. Then a half mile hike up a steep path to get to the peak of Clingmans Dome.. And worth every pant! The observation tower is magnificent. 45 feet tall and built in the 1950's. Made of concrete and in a modern style, it looks like something Frank Lloyd Wright designed (he did not). The views are absolutely breathtaking.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1) Alaska
2) New Orleans
3) Minneapolis

I have spent a night in about 30 states in the country, so I have seen a lot of the US.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
1) Alaska
2) New Orleans
3) Minneapolis

I have spent a night in about 30 states in the country, so I have seen a lot of the US.
1 and 2 are essential for every American imo.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Alaska is the only state I havent been to. Been planning to try for years. Dont know I Ill ever get there.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Tough one. I've been to 39 of the states and 34 countries, with a few more than once. Adding Poland (partly a heritage trip and partly a special program) this July. There are parts of many of the states I've been to that I haven't seen and ditto for many of the countries. Of all the National Park trips I've been on, that includes Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Grand Teton, Monument Valley, Joshua Tree, Petrified Forest and Yosemite, the one I'd tell people not to miss is Bryce ,but all are worth the trip

My bucket list.
Lake Tahoe
Austin
Badlands
Idaho and Montana
Scotland and Loch Ness
Greek Isles and Athens
Maui (have been to Oahu and Kuai)
Croatia
Australia and New Zealand - probably never make it.
Rio

Reaction Score
1. Glacier National Park
2. Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. I spent part of last summer staring at the mountains of that place last summer but I didn't get a chance to get out there.
3. Black Canyon of the Gunnison River in Colorado for ginormous trout.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
  1. Alaska
  2. Hawaii
  3. Grand Canyon
  4. New Orleans
  5. Seattle (have to hit Vancouver while I'm there too)
  6. Austin
  7. Charleston SC
  8. Denver/CO
I think I'll probably try to do a combo trip to Seattle/Vancouver/Alaska via a cruise some day.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Olathe Kansas

The new Johnson County Courthouse is evidently quite nice. Hopefully the parking situation is improved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom