What are NBA Draft prospects for UConn men's basketball star Andre Jackson? 'He's in a tricky spot' | Page 7 | The Boneyard

What are NBA Draft prospects for UConn men's basketball star Andre Jackson? 'He's in a tricky spot'

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Ha. This is true. It really depends on so many factors.

1. What is he likely to make
2. Can he return and improve that guarantee (means make more, but also adding a year as a non earner into account)
3. Any NIL ops as a UConn player that he can’t get as a pro?
4. Could he hurt himself with one more year?
5. Is the G League or deep bench Development > than ncaa development?
6. Is nba end of rotation enough money to offset college lifestyle?

He is such a swing player in this regard. We do know that he likes being at UConn and being a student, so that is a factor as well.!
I like this line of reasoning. Maybe money is not the most important thing in his life. Maybe he has enough self confidence that he will be "successful" in life financially without placing that first in his goals right now.

An athletic career is relatively short. But it can open a lot of doors and AJ is obviously a highly motivated young man. It seems pretty certain he will get a professional contract whether it is in the League or overseas. He seems to have the drive similar to that say of Bazz and Boat had. Very high drive. One wound up in the League and one overseas. It seems to me that those kind of guys have the kind of character that they are going to succeed in life no matter what if they stay true to their character.

I just get the sense that everything is going to work out fine for Andre because he is such a dedicated person and willing to work hard. Seems to excel in being unselfish. That's pretty rare.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just can't see any upside to his coming back. At best, he can have a repeat this year. That won't propel him forward. Khalid El-Amin came back and it cost him millions.

Reaction Score
Much better playmaker than Thybulle
Yes you’re right and Thybulle is a monster one on one defender. He came into the league as a great one on one defender which is so rare. Andre is a good one on one defender but not great yet. He excels as a disrupter on team defense.

Reaction Score
In the tournament, he showed he could be effective on offense by being a screener so his defender couldn't just sag off of him. In the NBA, it would be even more important for him to find ways to keep his defender honest, because his shot making isn't threatening by itself right now.

If his team isn't playing 4v5 on offense, the impact he could have on defense and in the open court is so obvious. I think a lot of team have seen that he has the potential to be a plus defender and rebounder even by NBA standards, but he has to prove he won't be a huge minus on offense.

From everything I've ever heard about him, he will put the work in. I hope he gets rewarded for it.

Reaction Score

“I’m going into these workouts with the mentality that I’m going to the NBA,” Jackson said. “I’m working every day to try to compete to be at that level and I think am. I’m definitely thinking about going so it is all about sticking to it and not letting anything in the future get in the way of what’s going on right now.”

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
This kid’s going to do just fine in the NBA. Unequalled athletic skills. His playmaking, rebounding and defense alone will keep him in the league for a decade. Our own KO played a dozen years as a 15mpg, game-closer lockdown defender.

Reaction Score
Celtics had him in for a workout. They are between 33-35, top of second round.

If Celtics guarantee 3year, $6m deal. Is that enough?

He can say, absent that, I am coming back.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I just can't see any upside to his coming back. At best, he can have a repeat this year. That won't propel him forward. Khalid El-Amin came back and it cost him millions.
I agree. Somebody thinks I was nuts for saying so about Khalid. As a selfish UConn fan I want Jackson to stay. But he needs to do what makes sense for him. The difference between Khalid and Jackson I think is that Khalid’s main issue was size and to some extent speed. Jackson missing a reliable form and shot is a big even if the only impediment to guaranteed money. Khalid needed to go when he was a hot commodity. His attractiveness faded some the next year and I think it cost him the 1st round and a guarantee. I think what makes Jackson even a thought in NBA eyes this year are abilities that will always be there. Jackson has the G league option to try and correct what prevents him from being a red hot commodity. Khalid had no such lower league option and now, of course, the NIL inducement exists. So Jackson would not be totally nuts to stay. Jackson has given us a lot of great moments, I want more, but who can begrudge anyone a dream.

Reaction Score
in 2023 draft--Pacers have 3 first round picks and pick #32 at the beginning of second round
If he stays in draft, I’d love for him to be a Pacer. Would make me want to go to their games

Reaction Score
The Khalid comparison isn’t the best one to make imo. Khalid wasn’t growing any taller by staying. He probably should have come out though. Andre theoretically COULD work with a Rip or a Ray all summer and try to overhaul his shooting mechanics. Nobody is saying he could or should be a Hawkins like threat. But even going from 29% to 35% from 3 with more sound mechanics would make him a first round lock.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

They can't guarantee that to him. Someone else they like more could drop to that range and they could take that player instead. I would imagine it'll take multiple teams telling him he's likely to go in the 1st that will cause him to decide to go.

Reaction Score

If it means spending most of the year with the Maine Red Claws he may say no

Reaction Score

Some team is going to fall in love and take Andre in the 1st. He will interview and test extremely well. And I’m probably gonna end up watching and rooting for him regularly.

Charlotte, for the love of God.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Release is still ugly but it's quicker and smoother than it's been - he's got to translate it to game speed action, but this is a start - much better than before, still wonky.

Reaction Score

brad stevens has said that he loved watching uconn during the ncaa run and apparently has a strong relationship with hurley. if andre is still around, i wouldn't be shocked in they picked him.

he couldn't possibly have a better nba mentor than marcus smart -- i think marcus' role (pass-first ballhandler, screener for scoring wings, guarding multiple positions on defense) is kind of the andre jackson nba archetype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom