What are NBA Draft prospects for UConn men's basketball star Andre Jackson? 'He's in a tricky spot' | Page 6 | The Boneyard

What are NBA Draft prospects for UConn men's basketball star Andre Jackson? 'He's in a tricky spot'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not really. Mali is a poor country in a way that it is tough for Americans to wrap their mind around. Sanogo playing professionally is "life-changing" for his entire family. Adama can't earn active NIL money like a Andre can especially after a national championship year.

Jackson can look at where he ends up and return to school, if he doesn't like what he sees. Sanogo is committed.
Adama also speaks 4 languages & is living somewhere away from family, friends, etc.

Just a guess, but I would think if Adama went to play in an upper euro league, his transition off the court would be much easier than someone who has only resides in the New England area their whole life

Reaction Score
Austin Reaves and Buddy Hield are two 4 year guys that come to mind who are thriving in the league now. I fervently believe Andre will have an incredibly successful career in the NBA whether he comes back to Storrs for a 4th season or not. I think he gets drafted late first or early 2nd(either year) and he’s got the character, makeup(identity?), and skill set that a young man needs in order to make it in one of the most prestigious organizations in world. A true captain and leader capable of galvanizing a locker room whether he comes back as a senior or starts his pro career off as a rookie in the NBA/NBA G-League.
There are 4 year guys who have been successful. I just don’t know who the comparison for Andre is. Buddy averaged 25 his senior year. Reaves averaged 18. If you took Dre’s 3 years here & combine them, he’s averaged less than both those guys their senior seasons

I love Andre and think he will/can carve a role out in the nba. He seems like a guy who could be a more wing oriented version of PJ Tucker (mentality, leadership, intangibles) with a ceiling of a late career Shawn Marion (10-13 ppg, 7’ish rebounds and defending the best wing player on opposing teams) He’ll definitely be a system guy where in the right one he could thrive. Without the threat to score though, I don’t think teams will play with the ball in his hands as much as we did

Reaction Score
Adama also speaks 4 languages & is living somewhere away from family, friends, etc.

Just a guess, but I would think if Adama went to play in an upper euro league, his transition off the court would be much easier than someone who has only resides in the New England area their whole life

I'm sure he wpuld appreciate being a 4 hour trip from home instead of 24.

Reaction Score
So you think it would be a bad idea to bring him back and try to score because that’s not what he does but think he can play a 3 and d role in the nba? That seems like even less of what he’s good at.
Yep. If he gets drafted it’s because scouts love what he showed in the tournament (defense, rebounding, energy, passing, leading fast breaks) and are willing to pass up him not being able to score for now, with the idea that they can develop it in the league.

The point was that for Andre to significantly improve his draft stock by becoming a scorer, he would need to be a hyper efficient scorer at 15+ PPG. I haven’t seen anything to suggest that he can, or wants to, do that. The NBA draft does not like seniors. It’s better to be a junior with more potential than a senior with a better overall game

Also looking back at my post I’m not sure why I said Duarte was a sophomore. Definitely was a senior lol

Reaction Score
There are 4 year guys who have been successful. I just don’t know who the comparison for Andre is. Buddy averaged 25 his senior year. Reaves averaged 18. If you took Dre’s 3 years here & combine them, he’s averaged less than both those guys their senior seasons

I love Andre and think he will/can carve a role out in the nba. He seems like a guy who could be a more wing oriented version of PJ Tucker (mentality, leadership, intangibles) with a ceiling of a late career Shawn Marion (10-13 ppg, 7’ish rebounds and defending the best wing player on opposing teams) He’ll definitely be a system guy where in the right one he could thrive. Without the threat to score though, I don’t think teams will play with the ball in his hands as much as we did
Agreed, his game has a bit of PJ Tucker to it. I mean, PJ is averaging like 5 points per game on over 30 min a game and his team is still a game away from the conference finals. There is a place for a guy like Andre, but he has to really specialize in that role, get on the right team, & become an absolute stud at everything he already is really good at. If his main goal is making it to the NBA (or even playing professionally) I don’t really see what benefit it is for him to come back. His stock is what it is. Everywhere you look has him rated as a top 50 prospect, that ain’t bad at all! He can certainly get a two way deal or maybe even play himself into a guaranteed contract. If I was advising him, I’d tell him go. More to lose by coming back than gaining.

Reaction Score
Yep. If he gets drafted it’s because scouts love what he showed in the tournament (defense, rebounding, energy, passing, leading fast breaks) and are willing to pass up him not being able to score for now, with the idea that they can develop it in the league.

The point was that for Andre to significantly improve his draft stock by becoming a scorer, he would need to be a hyper efficient scorer at 15+ PPG. I haven’t seen anything to suggest that he can, or wants to, do that. The NBA draft does not like seniors. It’s better to be a junior with more potential than a senior with a better overall game

Also looking back at my post I’m not sure why I said Duarte was a sophomore. Definitely was a senior lol
In my opinion the team drafting him will have to be intrigued by his ability with the ball in his hands as a facilitator on the offensive end. The team would be willing to work on his shooting but sees some value in his role until that comes. Because if they think we will draft him and turn him into a 3 and D guy, he won’t see an nba court for a minimum of 2 years because he can’t fulfill that role at all at this time.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember Andre Robertson who played for OKC Thunder a few years back? I don't think hes in the NBA anymore but he had a good (but short) run. He is not a bad Jackson comparison. Great athlete, great defender, good size and poor shooter. Jackson is definitely more creative with the ball though an probably not as good of an individual defender.

Reaction Score
Andre’a decision fascinates me. I have no idea what’s right. He is an nba athlete with no offensive game. I am anxious as hell to see how this works out.
Ha. This is true. It really depends on so many factors.

1. What is he likely to make
2. Can he return and improve that guarantee (means make more, but also adding a year as a non earner into account)
3. Any NIL ops as a UConn player that he can’t get as a pro?
4. Could he hurt himself with one more year?
5. Is the G League or deep bench Development > than ncaa development?
6. Is nba end of rotation enough money to offset college lifestyle?

He is such a swing player in this regard. We do know that he likes being at UConn and being a student, so that is a factor as well.!

Reaction Score
Anyone remember Andre Robertson who played for OKC Thunder a few years back? I don't think hes in the NBA anymore but he had a good (but short) run. He is not a bad Jackson comparison. Great athlete, great defender, good size and poor shooter. Jackson is definitely more creative with the ball though an probably not as good of an individual defender.
Jackson more versatile than Brown, who was a sit in the corner and a defended. Jackson can dribble and pass.

Jackson is Jayson Tatum in first three quarters last night. 3 pts, 9 rebound. 6 assists and great defense. Is that good enough?

Reaction Score
I love Andre as much as any kid that's played at UConn but some of these comparisons are wildly understating his offensive deficiencies. We're not talking about a "poor shooter." We're talking about a guy whose entire offensive arsenal consists of dunks, the occasional wide open 3 (that he shoots at a sub-30% clip) and a weird looking push shot from about 8 feet that always looks like an accident when it goes in. Has he taken a single pull up jump shot (make or miss) in his entire career?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Ha. This is true. It really depends on so many factors.

1. What is he likely to make
2. Can he return and improve that guarantee (means make more, but also adding a year as a non earner into account)
3. Any NIL ops as a UConn player that he can’t get as a pro?
4. Could he hurt himself with one more year?
5. Is the G League or deep bench Development > than ncaa development?
6. Is nba end of rotation enough money to offset college lifestyle?

He is such a swing player in this regard. We do know that he likes being at UConn and being a student, so that is a factor as well.!
For number 4 I don’t think he can hurt OR help himself. From your list which is a good one, he should probably go.

I’d preferred we run it back though. He might too. I’m good with what he’s good with.
He won’t be NPOY next year, but he would be the most impactful player on a college floor.

Reaction Score
Jackson more versatile than Brown, who was a sit in the corner and a defended. Jackson can dribble and pass.

Jackson is Jayson Tatum in first three quarters last night. 3 pts, 9 rebound. 6 assists and great defense. Is that good enough?
With him not even being a threat to score, I don’t see him on offense having the ball in his hands as much as he did in college. Just a personal opinion

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score

Mattise Thybulle is the comp that comes to mind for me.
6’5 Guard/Wing
Played 4 years at Washington
Drafted #20 overall in 2019
Four year stats at Washington
G 135 PTS 9.2 RB 3.1 AST 2.0
35.8% from 3 on 4 attempts per game

NBA 3PT Shooting
Makes-Attempts
198-592
3PT%

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
6’5 Guard/Wing

NBA 3PT Shooting
Makes-Attempts
198-592
3PT%
Much better playmaker than Thybulle

Reaction Score
Anyone remember Andre Robertson who played for OKC Thunder a few years back? I don't think hes in the NBA anymore but he had a good (but short) run. He is not a bad Jackson comparison. Great athlete, great defender, good size and poor shooter. Jackson is definitely more creative with the ball though a probably not as good of an individual defender.
A playmaking Roberson is a good comp but another Thunder player he reminds me of is Josh Giddey.

Reaction Score
6’5 Guard/Wing

NBA 3PT Shooting
Makes-Attempts
198-592
3PT%

Andre is a much, much worse shooter.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
For sure. I was looking at the Thybulle comp in an effort to provide another example of a 4-year player that was drafted top 20. Andre is a much, much better playmaker.

Reaction Score

I don't know how to describe it other than to say the people making these comparisons are talking about a difference of degrees but what we're dealing with is a difference in kind.

His offensive numbers are, if anything, inflated because he shoots so infrequently and only when he's completely wide open. He will pass up even a lightly contested opportunity around the rim. I've never seen him take a jump shot while moving, ever. I just can't think of a player I've ever seen like that. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist looks like Larry Bird by comparison.

Reaction Score
Really, really difficult decision for any GM because his game is so unique. Like it says... he's basically the total package of an NBA wing, except he can't score at all. Elite defense, rebounding, passing, good handles for his size. Leadership... EVERYTHING, but this weird physical or mental hang-up keeping him from being able to score.

I think Andre needs to go. In the college environment, he doesn't have the level of coaching to develop that shot. There just isn't enough time allowed. He's had 3 years to do it with no appreciable change in his scoring ability. If it's going to happen, it's going to be with a 1:1 shooting coach that an NBA team can provide over a couple years in the G-League. If he's able to collect a half-way decent paycheck, he should. His stock is never going to be higher.
He's a smaller version of Draymond Green who was picked in the 2nd round. Great IQ and court savvy and a little chippy . If someone works on his mechanics he can have a very nice career

Reaction Score
He's a smaller version of Draymond Green who was picked in the 2nd round. Great IQ and court savvy and a little chippy . If someone works on his mechanics he can have a very nice career
More svelte maybe but unrecognizably more athletic

It’s just not the comparison to make

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member