What are NBA Draft prospects for UConn men's basketball star Andre Jackson? 'He's in a tricky spot' | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What are NBA Draft prospects for UConn men's basketball star Andre Jackson? 'He's in a tricky spot'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's such a unique case both in terms of his game (as discussed) and his approach. He definitely isn't someone who has been looking to jump at the first opportunity (i.e., someone like that doesn't reflexively respond to a question late this season by talking about "two more years") and I don't know enough about his personal circumstances to know if the money would be truly life-altering to his family. He's just different -- he clearly appreciates being the BMOC in the moment itself as opposed to being a pissed off 40-something who didn't get it at the time. On paper he should go, but I do think he's just built much differently than a typical kid his age.

That is a lot of words for what is essentially a shrug emoji.

Reaction Score
If I'm an NBA team, I wouldn't take him in the first round. He is an incredible athlete and does a lot of things really well. But his offense/shooting is broken and I honestly don't know if its fixable. This isn't a "take lots of shots" issue. It's a total reconfig physically and mentally.

Reaction Score
I respect the support for our guy... but no. There is no way Andre could have averaged 20ppg.

I don't want to be a tool and critique every little thing about his scoring that is lacking on a public forum, but it's pretty apparent to anyone who understands the game of basketball that he's missing just about every basketball skill needed to be an average or better scorer. From his feet to his fingers. It's all broken--especially mentally.
I always seem to compare him to Tim Tebow. Obviously an incredible 1/1 000000 athlete: but they couldn't fix that throwing motion. It was too far gone.

Reaction Score
No surprise to hear major schizophrenia in the scouts' comments about him.

Even though he loves UConn and the college experience and wants to make his mark with a second championship, leaving now may make the most sense, but who knows for sure?

So many unknowns and he must be feeling big pressure to make the right decision for the rest of his life. Hopefully DH has enlisted knowledgeable people to give AJ advice on the process and the factors he needs to consider to make the best decision.
So, now or later. Does it really make any difference?

Now camp: "Somebody," one scout predicted, "is going to take a chance on him."

Later
camp:"People are not going to forget about him," one scout reckoned, "if he goes back for another year."

First or second, surely not undrafted......but is anything for sure?

"Jackson is viewed as a potential late first-round draft pick, where the money is guaranteed, but far more likely a second-round selection, where it gets, well, trickier. He could still make good money. Look no further than former UConn teammate Tyrese Martin, who was drafted No. 55 overall by Atlanta last year and signed a two-year, $2.7 million contract, with over $1 million guaranteed. "

Let's all hope AJ makes the best decision for himself, regardless of what it may mean relative to his career at UConn.

Reaction Score
So he can play upcoming year at UConn, collecting some NIL, potentially taking a grad year (next year) at an $EC school (making mad NIL) and then play overseas?

I know UConn is a given, and trying to understand if he could get 2 years of NIL money.

You really think his ceiling is just playing overseas??? Good grief!

Reaction Score
I would love to have him back as he completely changes what our capabilities will be next year.
Having said that , if I was his advisor , sadly I don’t think what’s best for his future from a *basketball earning potential is returning to college. (Unless he gets a huge NIL deal .)
I could be wrong but he has the tools to become an NBA lead guard in a Magic Johnson hybrid sense.
The NBA and College games are different enough that another year at our level only moves him marginally in the direction he is most likely needs to have success . . I don’t see returning as guarantee of moving up in the draft only delaying what has to be done .
Even if he goes in the second round this year and and plays at the G league level learning the NBA game , that might be a better route to future Big Money for him personally.
* I said basketball because the educational aspect could be just as important , as playing careers have a shorter window of opportunity than competing in the real world .

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He’s not playing in the league until he fixes some part of his scoring package, minimum. But if he has a promise in the 20-40 range, you can’t blame him for going.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I respect the support for our guy... but no. There is no way Andre could have averaged 20ppg.

I don't want to be a tool and critique every little thing about his scoring that is lacking on a public forum, but it's pretty apparent to anyone who understands the game of basketball that he's missing just about every basketball skill needed to be an average or better scorer. From his feet to his fingers. It's all broken--especially mentally.
This is why I think he needs to go, even if he's early 2nd round. He needs to be 100% focused on basketball all the time to make the improvements needed. I don't think he can do it in a 30 game college season while going to school. It would be great for UConn if he came back, but I don't think it would be great for Andre. He becomes playable if he can score at the rim with both hands and hit midrange jumpers. He becomes better than that if he takes the jumper deeper.

Reaction Score
All picks have a lot of risk. Every player drafted will be a bust if they don’t improve some aspect of their game. Most second round picks don’t make it. Given his upside someone will absolutely pick him in second round or earlier. If he was able to demonstrate improved shooting he would absolutely go in first round and get guaranteed big money. If Andre is not certain he can get picked in 1sr round and he thinks he can work on his shot and get up to 33% on 3P I think he should come back. I think he can add +5% on his percentage and lock in a first round pick.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He has nothing to prove in college. Going pro seems like a no-brainer to me.

Reaction Score
Rip did work with Jordan Hawkins last summer. Extensively. Don’t count out Rip or Ray or both volunteering their time to help AJ if he decides returning is right for him. And don’t discount AJ getting better results from putting in the work with them.

Reaction Score
I always seem to compare him to Tim Tebow. Obviously an incredible 1/1 000000 athlete: but they couldn't fix that throwing motion. It was too far gone.
See Bouknight’s 3 point shooting Pre demotion and post demotion. And he didn’t get the tutelage of a Ray or a Rip.

Reaction Score
You really think his ceiling is just playing overseas??? Good grief!

Yup, but note I was 100% wrong on Allen Iverson (thinking he was too small for NBA) and on opposite side Terry Dehere (thinking he would be a star).

So maybe the future is bright for AJ.

ps: I believe he loves the big time college bb experience.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yeah he definitely wasn’t averaging 20 PPG lol. I think Jackson gets a bit unfairly criticized at times, that stretch run he had from February on really cemented him as an NBA player IMO. I think a GM will see that & figure out how to utilize him. The fit will be crucial for him tho, he needs to get on a team that would know how to use him and how to develop young players. I’ll feel a lot more confident if a team like Miami, Denver, Boston pick him than if it’s a bottoming out lottery team. Miamis track record of developing these 2nd round & undrafted guys is super impressive.

Reaction Score
Rip did work with Jordan Hawkins last summer. Extensively. Don’t count out Rip or Ray or both volunteering their time to help AJ if he decides returning is right for him. And don’t discount AJ getting better results from putting in the work with them.

He would get better, and more, one on one coaching at the professional level. It's not really debatable.

Reaction Score
Rip did work with Jordan Hawkins last summer. Extensively.

You're living in LaLa Land, dude. This didn't happen. Jordan had his own coaches and was mentored/played pick-up with a number of ex-NBA guys last summer, including Ray and Rip.

Reaction Score
He's such a unique case both in terms of his game (as discussed) and his approach. He definitely isn't someone who has been looking to jump at the first opportunity (i.e., someone like that doesn't reflexively respond to a question late this season by talking about "two more years") and I don't know enough about his personal circumstances to know if the money would be truly life-altering to his family. He's just different -- he clearly appreciates being the BMOC in the moment itself as opposed to being a pissed off 40-something who didn't get it at the time. On paper he should go, but I do think he's just built much differently than a typical kid his age.

That is a lot of words for what is essentially a shrug emoji.
There are so many greats but Andre has moved to the top of my list of favorite all time UConn players. Besides his obvious talents he has great character and love of UConn. I remember well how he held the remaining players together last year after about 8 players left for various reasons. I’ll never forget that because he helped me as well!

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Rips stuff with Jordan was fairly informal (and short in duration, what, a couple days?) working off ball tips. Obviously they paid off huge, Rip was the best at that, but to me that was more of a case of one Husky looking out for another rather than an overhaul of a basic tenet of basketball. AJ is a smart kid and a sponge. Everything makes him better, but he doesn't become a knock down 3 guy by 3 days of Ray shooting tips like Jordan could get out of Rips tips.

Reaction Score
If I'm an NBA team, I wouldn't take him in the first round. He is an incredible athlete and does a lot of things really well. But his offense/shooting is broken and I honestly don't know if its fixable. This isn't a "take lots of shots" issue. It's a total reconfig physically and mentally.
I agree. Shouldn't we assume NBA teams have their own needs to fill? Would they really want a project instead of what they need?

Reaction Score
This is why I think he needs to go, even if he's early 2nd round. He needs to be 100% focused on basketball all the time to make the improvements needed. I don't think he can do it in a 30 game college season while going to school. It would be great for UConn if he came back, but I don't think it would be great for Andre. He becomes playable if he can score at the rim with both hands and hit midrange jumpers. He becomes better than that if he takes the jumper deeper.
He needs to invent a jump shot from scratch. There are only so many hours a day you can practice shooting before you hit the law of diminishing returns. He is not ready for the NBA as is, and I don't think it makes much difference whether he's in the G League or at UConn next year in terms of his development, because but for not having even a trace of a jump shot he can play in the NBA today. He should play next year where he wants to play (with money being part of what he might want).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom