What are NBA Draft prospects for UConn men's basketball star Andre Jackson? 'He's in a tricky spot' | The Boneyard

What are NBA Draft prospects for UConn men's basketball star Andre Jackson? 'He's in a tricky spot'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Assisted access link<

->"His rebounding level, his defensive versatility, his athleticism — all those things are NBA-ready right now," said the scout. "He could defend two or three positions in the NBA right now. People love wing defenders in the league."

Of course, with Jackson, who is 29.3% from 3-point range over his three years at UConn, it all comes down to shooting.

"Do you not draft him, should you try to get him in the G-League for a year to develop his game, develop his shot, keep working on his offense?," the scout asked, rhetorically. "Or does he see that he's going to be a middle to late-second round pick and come back for another year, adds even a little bit to his offense, all of a sudden now, he's a top 20-25 pick and makes himself guaranteed money?"<-

-> Another Eastern Conference scout is equally intrigued by Jackson's talents. "His defensive contribution and other tools, his ability to handle and play-make ... if he could just shoot the ball, he's pretty much the total package," the scout said. "He'll need to land in the right spot, somebody who's willing to be a little bit patient with him, put him in the G-League, give him a little bit of time to develop. But, he checks so many boxes, it's hard to imagine him not getting picked up." <-

Reaction Score
Look. I'm gonna say it:
Do I want him to succeed in the NBA? YES
But just do it AFTER this upcoming year.
Come back and make that 4,000 page nick timberlake thread a bygone trifle. (Yes. I know we still need a shooter)

Reaction Score
I wouldn't want to make that decision. It would be a ballsy move to come back and gamble on himself for his financial future. There are several factors that the fan base doesn't have knowledge. What NIL money can he expect as the returning face of a defending champion team. As has been discussed elsewhere, the stigma of being a 2nd round pick has diminished with 2 way and guaranteed money. The first 8 2nd round picks last year got at least 2 guaranteed years. . What is the true potential of AJ busting out and being a 1 round pick next year at age 22? Can he develop more as a player by being a pro? This could all be useless discussion if he shines at the combine and gets into the late 1st round

Reaction Score
Really, really difficult decision for any GM because his game is so unique. Like it says... he's basically the total package of an NBA wing, except he can't score at all. Elite defense, rebounding, passing, good handles for his size. Leadership... EVERYTHING, but this weird physical or mental hang-up keeping him from being able to score.

I think Andre needs to go. In the college environment, he doesn't have the level of coaching to develop that shot. There just isn't enough time allowed. He's had 3 years to do it with no appreciable change in his scoring ability. If it's going to happen, it's going to be with a 1:1 shooting coach that an NBA team can provide over a couple years in the G-League. If he's able to collect a half-way decent paycheck, he should. His stock is never going to be higher.

Reaction Score
Really, really difficult decision for any GM because his game is so unique. Like it says... he's basically the total package of an NBA wing, except he can't score at all. Elite defense, rebounding, passing, good handles for his size. Leadership... EVERYTHING, but this weird physical or mental hang-up keeping him from being able to score.

I think Andre needs to go. In the college environment, he doesn't have the level of coaching to develop that shot. There just isn't enough time allowed. He's had 3 years to do it with no appreciable change in his scoring ability. If it's going to happen, it's going to be with a 1:1 shooting coach that an NBA team can provide over a couple years in the G-League. If he's able to collect a half-way decent paycheck, he should. His stock is never going to be higher.

Selfishly I hate this but it seems right to me.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
He plays with so much reckless abandon and intensity. Better for him to go.

Reaction Score
I just wonder what a summer of Rip and Ray working with him on overhauling and refining his shooting mechanics might do. He’s the total package otherwise with the other pieces of his game and a very high basketball IQ.

I cringe every time I see a poster suggest some random former player should coach. Rip and Ray have no idea how to coach basketball. Refining and perfecting your shot as a player is an entirely different beast than overhauling Andre's broken shot.

Reaction Score
I look at how Bouknight's 3pt percentage changed this season after getting coaching and refining his shot in the G-league. He shot 33% in G-league in 2022 and improved to 43% from 3 in the G-league in 2023. In 8 NBA games after the return from the G-league in March & April he shot 38% vs 25% in the 1st part of the season. For reference Bouknight shot 32% from 3 at UConn. Total commitment and immersion into being a pro can change a player. AJ probably needs that total focus at this point in his career. Hoping that a late 1st round established team sees AJ as a multi-tool player that can find a role.

Reaction Score
If AJ comes back and plays this coming year can he become a grad transfer and play another year at a different school next year?

Reaction Score
He's a poor man's Ben Simmons without the headcase issues. He's got a decent floor for a college player, but that floor isn't good enough to get him playing time in the League. Does an NBA GM take a chance or let someone else do it?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I cringe every time I see a poster suggest some random former player should coach. Rip and Ray have no idea how to coach basketball. Refining and perfecting your shot as a player is an entirely different beast than overhauling Andre's broken shot.

Well Ray does coach HS now and he's definitely a technician who works on the finer points of shooting with players, so I would disagree on Ray.

The random pointing to great players to teach a guy how to play is annoying, so I agree with your overall point. Just don't think this was that same thing.

Reaction Score
Well Ray does coach HS now and he's definitely a technician who works on the finer points of shooting with players, so I would disagree on Ray.

The random pointing to great players to teach a guy how to play is annoying, so I agree with your overall point. Just don't think this was that same thing.

I had forgotten about Ray working at Gulliver. Near Miami I believe.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't call Ray qualified to work with Andre. He's well past a high school coach working with him. He needs a true professional, dedicated shooting coach. I mean if Kimani, Luke and Tom couldn't sort it out, you need a shooting MD on the court to be diagnosing problems and designing drills to build new habits.

Not saying this would apply to Ray... but learning to coach shooting was difficult for me BECAUSE I was such a good shooter. Obviously not Ray's level, lol. Shooting was the only thing i was every really good at. Working with someone like Andre and going back to complete basics was coaching things I haven't thought about in a a decade or ever.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
If AJ comes back and plays this coming year can he become a grad transfer and play another year at a different school next year?
Yes. But that doesn't matter anyway. He has never used his free transfer. He could go anywhere at any time, but he won't. He bleeds blue. NBA or UConn. I want him back this year so much, but I will root like hell for him on any path he thinks is best for him. We owe him so much.

I see the term "connector" being in vogue describing NBA players.

There was no better connector in college basketball than AJ.

Last edited:

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I think he should go pro. I think he will surprise evaluators at the combine in a good way. The age factor is a real deal.

Reaction Score
I think he should go pro. I think he will surprise evaluators at the combine in a good way. The age factor is a real deal.

I'm curious--what do you think he'll surprise them with? It's all over the film that he's a top 0.00001% elite athlete, amazing defender, rebounder, and passer. A 46" vertical isn't going to surprise a GM.

Only thing he can do to surprise anyone is to score the ball.

Reaction Score
Yes. But that doesn't matter anyway. He has never used his free transfer. He could go anywhere at any time, but he won't. He bleeds blue. NBA or UConn. I want him back this year so much, but I will root like hell for him on any path he thinks is best for him. We owe him so much.

I see the term "connector" being in vogue describing NBA players.

There was no better connector inn college basketball than AJ.
So he can play upcoming year at UConn, collecting some NIL, potentially taking a grad year (next year) at an $EC school (making mad NIL) and then play overseas?

I know UConn is a given, and trying to understand if he could get 2 years of NIL money.

Reaction Score
If I was an NBA GM, I'd draft him in the late First round. He just does too many things well not to take a chance on him.

With that being said, it seems like the consensus is that he's a likely second rounder. If that doesn't change after the Combine, why not come back for one more year with the NIL money? He can continue to work on his offense here instead of in the G-League. Worst case (barring injury) is that he's likely in the same place next year (a 2nd rounder and likely G league player). It seems like he really enjoys the college experience and one more year of that is invaluable. You can't go back in time and get that experience again. He'd need to leave for guaranteed money obviously, but I suspect he comes back if guaranteed money is off the table.

Reaction Score
. He's had 3 years to do it with no appreciable change in his scoring ability.
I feel like this is him being unselfish to a fault. In his first two years he was making high IQ passes that his teammates weren’t ready for when he maybe should have taken it to the hoop, and this year he looked to facilitate first to players who know we’re ready for those passes. I think he easily could have averaged 20ppg even with a lack in shooting ability, but didn’t bc it’s not who he is. That may now come back to bite him bc people don’t see him as a scorer.

Reaction Score
If I was an NBA GM, I'd draft him in the late First round. He just does too many things well not to take a chance on him.

With that being said, it seems like the consensus is that he's a likely second rounder. If that doesn't change after the Combine, why not come back for one more year with the NIL money? He can continue to work on his offense here instead of in the G-League. Worst case (barring injury) is that he's likely in the same place next year (a 2nd rounder and likely G league player). It seems like he really enjoys the college experience and one more year of that is invaluable. You can't go back in time and get that experience again. He'd need to leave for guaranteed money obviously, but I suspect he comes back if guaranteed money is off the table.
I tend to agree, especially if he could do another pg year making more NIL if need be.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
So he can play upcoming year at UConn, collecting some NIL, potentially taking a grad year (next year) at an $EC school (making mad NIL) and then play overseas?

I know UConn is a given, and trying to understand if he could get 2 years of NIL money.

I understand, but if it is about NIL Gigi he could go $EC right now and make mad NIL for 2 years.

Reaction Score
I understand, but if it is about NIL Gigi he could go $EC right now and make mad NIL for 2 years.
Damn, my advice would be enjoy another great year at UConn (mix for six), then if you’re not a 1st rounder go to an NIL school to get paid. Win win situation.

College life as a star bb player is pretty sweet.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't see him getting drafted due to the fact that his offense is simply not there for the NBA.
If he doesn't get drafted he should come back to UConn and work on those things that the pros tell him he needs.
As far as Ray and Rip working with him - I don't care if they aren't "professional coaches" but they are NBA quality players who happen to have both a long ball and mid range game. AJax needs to learn how to create a shot for himself on any part of the court and those two can teach that aspect. I realize that folks love his high energy level but in the NBA you need to be disciplined and AJax is not that at all - Ray and Rip can help there also.
He's a project - some of the parts are there, some need to be refined and some need to be discovered and worked on religiously. Not even sure that the G League would be the best option at this point.
I hope the best for him, but he is in a real unique area.

Reaction Score
I feel like this is him being unselfish to a fault. In his first two years he was making high IQ passes that his teammates weren’t ready for when he maybe should have taken it to the hoop, and this year he looked to facilitate first to players who know we’re ready for those passes. I think he easily could have averaged 20ppg even with a lack in shooting ability, but didn’t bc it’s not who he is. That may now come back to bite him bc people don’t see him as a scorer.

I respect the support for our guy... but no. There is no way Andre could have averaged 20ppg.

I don't want to be a tool and critique every little thing about his scoring that is lacking on a public forum, but it's pretty apparent to anyone who understands the game of basketball that he's missing just about every basketball skill needed to be an average or better scorer. From his feet to his fingers. It's all broken--especially mentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom