What are current injuries? | The Boneyard

What are current injuries?

Reaction Score
Who is out , with what, and for how long?

I have seen reference to injuries, but I don't know any details.

I really like Adams and I hope it isn't serious.
Thanks,

Reaction Score
Who is out , with what, and for how long?

I have seen reference to injuries, but I don't know any details.

I really like Adams and I hope it isn't serious.
Thanks,
The last updates were on September 4. Anyone knowing more than this would have to be associated with the team.

Akok Akok (Achilles) and Tyler Polley (knee) continue to progress in recovery from their surgeries. Akok is shooting and running. Polley, who is doing game-simulation movements, could be cleared for more on-court contact work in October. Freshman Andre Jackson has been limited by a knee injury, but Hurley hopes he’ll be cleared for on-court work by Oct. 1. Junior Brendan Adams has a foot injury and is rehabbing, but Hurley expects he will be ready if the season begins in late November.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one on the board that was not impressed with the numbers Akok put up? Granted, the potential is there and it was his first year of D1 basketball, but his stats were not impressive. Tell me what I'm missing.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one on the board that was not impressed with the numbers Akok put up? Granted, the potential is there and it was his first year of D1 basketball, but his stats were not impressive. Tell me what I'm missing.

Rewatch the Buffalo game

Reaction Score

Fantastic on defense for a freshman--DRTG was 97.3. Offense was obviously not very good at all. If he can't connect on at least 35% or more of his 3s or pass the rock well, he's a net negative on that end of the floor. He'll rim run and get some putback based on his hops assuming he recovers well. Getting his shooting %s up is going to be a heck of a lot easier than going from one of the worst passers we've ever had to a net positive.

Reaction Score
Yes.
Everything.

Reaction Score
Dude had major impact on almost every game no matter what the numbers say. Non stop motor and will be a future nba player.

Reaction Score
Yes.
Everything.
So far @husky429 is the only one answered my question, with a legitimate response. Don't take my question as I don't like his game, but we now have kids in the system that I feel may impact his minutes.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
He lead the conference in blocks.

He was stellar on defense and he has the tools to be really good on offense.
Excellent length, quickness and timing on defense. Attackers couldn't plan for the length of his arms and his hops. Very good on rebounding because of those long arms, but with not enough bulk to avoid being muscled at times, with his high center of gravity. Plays with intensity all the time. On offense has a good shooting motion, but little consistency. That can and should improve. My major complaint was his hands on offense - he dropped a lot of passes that should have been caught easily.

Reaction Score
Akok showed some really nice flashes on offense but not a great feel for the game or variations of moves. When he took it to the rim it was a full speed drive with no hesitation, change if speed or counter moves. When he had an open 3 he took it, showing great form and potential but obviously not a good percentage. His defense was excellent and special for him being a freshman. He just needs time to grow on offense. As a teammate, he’s the best guy a coach can ask for.

Reaction Score
Everyone here wants the best for Akok. We met him once, found him to be warm and friendly, love his athleticism and how he plays with abandon, and want him to succeed beyond the expectations we've all had for him. But, especially following the injury, those expectations may be unrealistic.

Consider last year's stats, including the last ten games (excluding the Memphis injury game). I also added SW's stats as a comparison to someone many were down on this year:
FG%: Season 41.3%, 6th on the team. Last 10 games 31.6%. SW 42.3% for season.
FT%: Season 59.4%, 8th on the team. Last 10 games 57.1%. SW 58.8% for season.
3Pt%: Season 26.1%, 8th on the team. Last 10 games 17.4%. SW 33.3% for season.
Assists: Season 0.4 per game (tied for 9th with SW). Last 10 games 0.3 per game.
Rebounds: Season 5.5 per game, 3rd on the team. SW 1.9 per game.
Note: Akok played 49.7% more minutes per game than Whaley but only out-rebounded him 5.5 to 5.0 (10 %)

Reaction Score
Everyone here wants the best for Akok. We met him once, found him to be warm and friendly, love his athleticism and how he plays with abandon, and want him to succeed beyond the expectations we've all had for him. But, especially following the injury, those expectations may be unrealistic.

Consider last year's stats, including the last ten games (excluding the Memphis injury game). I also added SW's stats as a comparison to someone many were down on this year:
FG%: Season 41.3%, 6th on the team. Last 10 games 31.6%. SW 42.3% for season.
FT%: Season 59.4%, 8th on the team. Last 10 games 57.1%. SW 58.8% for season.
3Pt%: Season 26.1%, 8th on the team. Last 10 games 17.4%. SW 33.3% for season.
Assists: Season 0.4 per game (tied for 9th with SW). Last 10 games 0.3 per game.
Rebounds: Season 5.5 per game, 3rd on the team. SW 1.9 per game.
Note: Akok played 49.7% more minutes per game than Whaley but only out-rebounded him 5.5 to 5.0 (10 %)
You surely know that you are comparing a freshman's stats to those of two juniors. Maybe that's why some of us have the "unrealistic" expectation that he might improve those numbers?

Reaction Score
Akok Akok was a hugely important factor on the defensive end. But without question, he hurt us on offense, especially as the season wore on and he wore down before the Achilles injury.

He has a lot of tools to one day play in the NBA, and there is every hope that he will be better on offense as he matures. But could his minutes be impacted by the deeper and more talented roster we have? Yes, that is a possibility. We'll have to see. But players coming in and taking minutes from players who are already there is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Hope to be wrong, but I still won't believe that he can play unaffected by the injury this year until I see it.

Reaction Score
Akok Akok was a hugely important factor on the defensive end. But without question, he hurt us on offense, especially as the season wore on and he wore down before the Achilles injury.

He has a lot of tools to one day play in the NBA, and there is every hope that he will be better on offense as he matures. But could his minutes be impacted by the deeper and more talented roster we have? Yes, that is a possibility. We'll have to see. But players coming in and taking minutes from players who are already there is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Hope to be wrong, but I still won't believe that he can play unaffected by the injury this year until I see it.

I'm thinking by the end of the season now, as Akok will probably be limited early on.

Does Richie's rebounding/bulk offset Akok's shotblocking and ability to defend the perimeter? Probably depends on the matchup. Or do we match the NBE and go pretty small with great perimeter D and switchability at the 4 with Martin a lot.

Overall, I'd guess that it probably depends on who can shoot. Seems like every player has a different skillset at the 4 (fantastic recruiting)... whoever can knock down 35% or more of there 3s is going to have the x factor that gets them on the floor.

Just my guess.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Are we really arguing if Akok is good? Watch the beginning of the Indiana game if you have any doubt. The guy is an absolute force and is just gonna get better.

Reaction Score
Managed to drop a backpack filled with tools on my bare foot today. Hurt like hell. I don't think I'm going to miss any time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom