What an utterly satisfying win | The Boneyard

What an utterly satisfying win

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I still can't believe I just witnessed that. After Stanford scored an easy basket to start the game and Dolson threw away a pass on a cut attempt on UConn's first offensive possession, I was braced for this being a tough game for UConn. As UConn started to go on a run and build a lead, I kept expecting Stanford to go on a run of their own. They never really did. UConn led by 15 or more for most of this game. In early December, UConn had the opportunity to have a coming out party by shredding two other top 10 teams. Although neither game was especially close, UConn looked vulnerable at times and not ready to win a national championship quite yet. Well, the national coming out party happened today. UConn will go into 2013 the undisputed #1 team in the country with an astounding victory today in Palo Alto.

Granted, Baylor's loss to Stanford came with an asterisk, namely Sims being unable to play most of the game. Still, UConn just won by 26 on Stanford's home court. Right now, UConn is clearly #1.

Of course, there is a lot of work to do. Being #1 in April is what really matters. In the interim, there are going to be (probably) three games against Notre Dame, at least one against Louisville, and games against Duke and Baylor. Those games will get UConn ready for the NCAA tourney.

Here's the scary part: UConn figures to get better between now and April, possibly a lot better. Today, four players (KML, Stef, Bria, and Kelly) played national championship-caliber ball. By April, Breanna might be ready to do so as well. Banks continues to make the most of her minutes, and maybe Tuck or Moriah might be more ready to play by then. And of course Kiah wasn't even able to play today.

It's not going to be easy for UConn to win it all this year. But it's going to be really, really difficult for anyone else to beat UConn this year, especially if the Huskies can keep playing defense like that.

One final point: this isn't one kid's team, but I think KML has to be the one who makes a play on offense if/when UConn needs points in a tight game. She's let everyone else do their thing this year, but when she's been needed (Penn State and today), she's been magnificent.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree about improving. I think some players were at the top of their games, but the underclassmen can be so much better by March. And hopefully we will be healthy.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree about improving. I think some players were at the top of their games, but the underclassmen can be so much better by March. And hopefully we will be healthy.
No one should under estimate the game management that Caroline displayed on the floor today. Nothing she did really should up statistically but she controlled the pace and kept UConn from getting ahead of itself. She was the master watchmaker who kept everything ticking.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I agree with all the comments here...also, I would like to point out when we get Kiah Stokes back into the line-up we will be very tough...as Stefanie can get a rest and if she gets in early foul trouble we will have someone who can provide quality minutes in the post. The strategy was obviously to go to Chiney and to go to her often and get Dolson in foul trouble...it didn't work! Dolson played a fantastic game...her best of the season and one of the best of her college career. Her 11 first half rebounds were huge. Satisfying you say...I would say immensely so...ended Stanford's home win streak, took over the number 0ne ranking...and sent a message to the rest of the country... UConn is for real...a big win on the rode. Stanford was never in this game... Our defense held them to under 40 points...incredible!

Reaction Score
Stanford's 82 game home winning streak is history. Poetic justice!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No one should under estimate the game management that Caroline displayed on the floor today. Nothing she did really should up statistically but she controlled the pace and kept UConn from getting ahead of itself. She was the master watchmaker who kept everything ticking.
That's what Grandmas do. :)

Reaction Score
Satisfying only in the sense that it solidifies UConn's claim on the #1 ranking. However, this game is yet another that does little to advance the popularity and watchability of women's basketball for all but diehard fans. Games featuring the top two ranked teams should be much, much more compelling. What other games do WCBB fans have to really look forward this season? UConn-Baylor is about all there is. Maybe Notre Dame, but doubtful.

All this Boneyard talk about Stanford being well-coached and disciplined is mere perception. I have yet to see Stanford display anything worthy of the lofty praises going back to the days of Jennifer Azzi and Val Whiting.Tthey have always been talented and have won purely on the strength of superior talent. UConn's last two losses to the Cardinal were more the result of UConn playing poorly than Stanford outplaying the Huskies. For Stanford to play this poorly in such a matchup on their home floor is an embarassment to basketball. UConn was always the second best team in the country this year, their sixth consecutive Final four appearance all but assured.

Great for UConn, bad for Stanford, terrible for WCBB.

Mosqueda-Lewis is a bona fide All American. Hartley has a way to go to repeat. It pleases me to say that I, again, like Ms Dolson's chances of getting on The Wall.

Stanford is always very good in March; Very little chance of them getting lucky a la Baylor(2005), Maryland and Texas A & M.

Reaction Score
I'll rewatch the game tomorrow. I get so nervous anymore that I miss alot. This time I can watch for matchups, knowing the outcome.

JS

Reaction Score
Largest #1 versus #2 margin of victory -- ever.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
As poorly as we shot the ball I blame the rusty shooting on the holiday break. It will only get better. This is a moster team. Can you imagine if we shot 45%. We are multi dimentional at every position. We are defensively strong at every position. This just may be the best assembleage of players ever at UConn and for the most part they are underclassmen. Now thats really scary. ND LVille Baylor get ready to play some defense with us.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What may deserve more attention is Caroline's minutes today (20) vs. those of Brianna Banks (9). Although Brianna scored and Caroline did not, I agree that Caroline made the greater contribution. This is the first game where Brianna looked not quite experienced enough to use her full athletic arsenal (similar to Amber Orrange). I am a little surprised that Geno did not find a few more minutes for Brianna after having a large lead with less than 10 minutes left in the game.

If Stanford had had experienced guards like Bria, Kelly, or Caroline to pair with Chiney, the game would have been much closer and might have gone the other way.

On the positive (and surprising) side, UConn played Stanford basically even on the boards despite missing Kiah and (for practical purposes) Morgan. In the first half (less so in the second), it was noticeable that there were very few second chances following those clangers that Stanford put up from the perimeter. Stanford did get 16 offensive rebounds to UConn's 5, but (according to the radio postgame) UConn still led 16-11 in 2nd-chance points. Still, the game underlines how important those missing front-court players are to UConn's success later this season.

Let us not assume that if these teams meet in the NCAA tournament, the outcome will be a foregone conclusion. Remember 2007-2008, when UConn had an equally convincing victory over Stanford in November bef0re losing to them in the National Semifinals.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Games between UConn and Stanford all revolve around outstanding defense and maximum dig effort. Some say that sets WCBB back a half century or so; others say it shows that the women know how to take care of the ball and play tough D. But yeah, some like the free-wheeling offensive carnivals played by teams like MD better.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What Isaw in the second half was better handling byour back court of a team with a big wing span. Some of the finishing execution was not there, but an increased willingness tomake the entry pass was evident.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
As poorly as we shot the ball I blame the rusty shooting on the holiday break. It will only get better.
Just like Geno...always in pursuit of perfection. :)

Reaction Score
Largest #1 versus #2 margin of victory -- ever.

Didn't we beat NC by 30 in their own gym a few years back? We were 1 and they were 2 as I recall, but then I am getting a little old.

Reaction Score
Didn't we beat NC by 30 in their own gym a few years back? We were 1 and they were 2 as I recall, but then I am getting a little old.
Sorry, didn't see #17 before my post.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Four observations:

1. UConn did a lot of substituting in this game...the announcers could have done a much better job of resetting who was on the court.

2. Granted students are likely on break but it was a little sad to see virtually no students at the game. It seemed like it was AARP members get in free night.

3. Was hoping to see the Stanford team that beat Baylor to really give the Huskies a test.

4. Excited to finally see a live game on TV.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Hardly mentioned is the accuracy of the scouting and the extraordinary plan devised by the staff to manage the game.
Geno and his associates can take enormous satisfaction in their preparation of the team.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Hardly mentioned is the accuracy of the scouting and the extraordinary plan devised by the staff to manage the game.
Geno and his associates can take enormous satisfaction in their preparation of the team.
To me this was the most interesting thing of all! I was nervous about the game, but this was quickly dispelled. Geno and crew REALLY did their homework, and thought their ways through the situations. It was just wonderful to see.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Life was not happy at The Farm for Stanford. Mainly they could have played until the cows came home and the result would have been the same, udder destruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom