What an atrocious game vs Syracuse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What an atrocious game vs Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didn't matter. In the middle of 1st half with UConn ahead by a lot . . . 1 for 6 from foul line. Momentum killer. Definitely not on script of '14 NC's.
Once again, stop embarrassing yourself and stick to football. Although based on your post/like ratio, I have a feeling your insights are rarely welcome in the fball forum either.

Reaction Score
To many bad shots, missed drives, Brimah terrible hands no boards. Only lose by 3.

Reaction Score
From about the 7 minute mark of the first half we played atrocious basketball. We are loaded with talent but man did we muck it up.

Reaction Score
It's early... Our threes didn't drop and we missed a lot of easy layups. Both are fixable. Take a deep breath and regroup, it's early.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to join the "sky is falling" crowd but if this team is even close to the team most of this board seems to think it is there's no way they should be losing to a team as mediocre as Syracuse. That was a ____ effort in a nationally televised game and the staff and the players should be embarrassed. I hate to say stuff like that but it's not like they just lost to Kentucky. After the first couple minutes they looked inept and they're too damn experienced to look like that, especially against a team that is going to accomplish absolutely nothing this year. Some of these kids whose balls get washed on this board need to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves what kind of season they want this to be. No _______ reason they should lose to a slapd__ck team like that.

And yes, I'm drunk.

Reaction Score
It's early... Our threes didn't drop and we missed a lot of easy layups. Both are fixable. Take a deep breath and regroup, it's early.
The thing is, we shot pretty well from 3 overall, granted we hit a bunch at the end, but we still shot pretty well. I agree on the layups, they were awful. We probably missed 7-10 relatively easy layups/close shots that Syracuse consistently made

Reaction Score
Brimah needs to be a force defensively but just not swatting shots. Rebounding both sides of the court should be his mission and Ollis needs to challenge him to lead the country in rebounding. Then you will have a national championship contender.

Reaction Score
Once again, stop embarrassing yourself and stick to football. Although based on your post/like ratio, I have a feeling your insights are rarely welcome in the fball forum either.

No I understand, you're appreciate that the lads tried hard and that they can make this game with a win against Sacred Heart. Now which of the only conferences that matter are they from"

Reaction Score
weyuo said:
Brimah needs to be a force defensively but just not swatting shots. Rebounding both sides of the court should be his mission and Ollis needs to challenge him to lead the country in rebounding. Then you will have a national championship contender.

Brimah is not going to lead the country in rebounding so you can put that idea to bed.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

He has an infinitesimal chance of even leading the "foreign-born UConn Husky" category in rebounding. Come on now.

Reaction Score
No I understand, you're appreciate that the lads tried hard and that they can make this game with a win against Sacred Heart. Now which of the only conferences that matter are they from"
Strike that; forget football, and definitely forget basketball.

A course in English Composition should be priority #1 for you

Or maybe a check-in to your neighborhood AA meeting. But for , don't drive yourself.

Reaction Score
Ok we need to relax a bit, it's the first time this team was in a situation like this together and hopefully we learned. Unfortunately it wasn't the first time KO and the staff were in a situation like this and they didn't look like it, but everyone gets to have a bad game right.

Not really excited about the Gonzaga matchup our bigs can't guard anyone on a pick and roll, bad match up and 1-2 was exactly what we didn't want. I'm afraid that's what we're going to get though.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
I can live with it. Missed easy shots are most likely because of just playing last night + a Syracuse zone doesn't help. I'll take the high road and blame it on the
Fatigue (short rest) and the Zone. And yes , we're gonna lose some games people.

Reaction Score
Maybe we just need to wait until March and hope that teams forget that we can't execute versus a zone D, like in 2011. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I want this team to shoot 40 3's per game against a zone if they have to. It wasn't a great 3 point shooting game, but we hit 38.5% from 3 and 43% from 2. Rodney, Kenton, Shonn, Amidah cannot be trusted to make good decisions under pressure. Get the ball to DHAM every time at the line and let him attack or kick to shooters.

Reaction Score
Here's what I noticed today. The bad I saw was mostly poor free throw shooting especially from Purvis. It makes him less aggressive and more apprehensive to take a shot. I mean he was 1 of 4 from the line and that is ridiculous for a shooting guard. Purvis is a very good slasher and can drive strongly into the lane with ease and attack the rim but when he gets fouled he misses his shots. That's the only thing keeping him from being a star but that is an extreme liability, other than that he's pretty good. What I see of Miller is I like his skills, defense and experience (better in this category than any other big we have) but lets face it he is very undersized for his position at 6'7'' 210 lbs. as a power forward and he gave up quite a few inches and quite a few pounds. I mean some times the other teams shoot well and our team shoots poorly but we couldn't stop them in transition without fouling them. Also our big men have been unable to do anything in the post or without an assist from a guard but lets face it look at our bigs only Facey (who played well) and freshman Enoch were ranked in the top 100 players in the country. Our front court lacks physicality and cannot be counted on as an offensive force against a decent team. We need better and more physical big men. I like how they came back towards the end if only to prevent a blowout cause they showed fight. This was a bad loss though. We should've won regardless.

Reaction Score
It IS fairly head-scratchy that Purvis can have such a nice-looking shooting motion, can shoot NBA 3s like he does, yet he struggles so mightily at the line.

Reaction Score
Defense lost this game.

But that free throw discrepancy was a bit perplexing. We got into the paint plenty. Purvis could have finished better, but he took a lot of contact on a few of those drives. In the second half, when Syracuse wasn't hitting a shot, they were at the line, almost every time.

We were on the wrong side of the FT's against Michigan which was even more odd, considering they barely went into the paint.

Reaction Score
Strike that; forget football, and definitely forget basketball.

A course in English Composition should be priority #1 for you

Or maybe a check-in to your neighborhood AA meeting. But for , don't drive yourself.

A very poor, very disappointing effort and outcome. Is that grammatically correct enough?

Reaction Score
I was driving and only able to catch the second half on the radio so I've seen nothing, not even highlights and heard none of the first half. This is what I heard:
UConn fouls.
UConn turnover.
UConn misses free throws.
Rebound to Syracuse.
Gabjinglebe drives and scores.
UConn doesn't foul on inbound with 27 seconds left.

Sounded like we were lucky to only lose by three. Hopefully Zags play man to man tomorrow and we get the win. A win against Gonzaga should make up for a loss to Syracuse.

Reaction Score
As crappy as we played we lost to Syracuse by 3. We'll be fine as long as this is a wakeup call and not a sign of things to come.

Beat the Zags

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bad shot selection. Too many possessions where they were just passing around the perimeter hoping someone would have a sliver of daylight to Jack up a 3. Need to work for better shots.

Reaction Score
Bad shot selection. Too many possessions where they were just passing around the perimeter hoping someone would have a sliver of daylight to Jack up a 3. Need to work for better shots.

Except when we did work for better shots, Purvis would pass up the open shot, drive it into the paint, avoid contact, and brick a layup/runner/floater while failing to even draw a foul.

Reaction Score
UConn's defense lost discipline. The zone caused frustration. The penalties were not called evenly.

Still, it was a one possession loss. Maybe KO did not want to script plays and tell the team who he thinks he can trust, but rather wait and see who they/he can trust. One or two will step up and refuse to lose the next time we are in that situation.

Syracuse is a hard team to lose to, but that orange taste in their mouths may move this team forward. Both teams will be better in March, but I'd like a rematch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom