What about Banks? | The Boneyard

What about Banks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No one has mentioned her.
I thought she played with very high intensity for the brief moments she played against TAMU.
I bet she gets a lot of time tomorrow night.
Geno may have a role for her against Baylor.
Waddaya think?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Hard to say what will happen. If Geno sees a role for her and she executes that in practice and when she gets in the game she will get minutes.

Reaction Score
No one has mentioned her.
I thought she played with very high intensity for the brief moments she played against TAMU.
I bet she gets a lot of time tomorrow night.
Geno may have a role for her against Baylor.
Waddaya think?

Do you mean like he used Lorin at the right time?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i recall hearing/reading comments from Geno regarding her breakout game of 17 points vs. FDU “I thought it was the worst exhibition of basketball I’ve ever seen by two teams in the 27 years I’ve been in Connecticut,” Auriemma said. “We should give everybody a refund.”

he went on to say that Brianna's 17 points were not impressive as they did not come in the flow of the offense and was basically the result of her driving to the basket without running any offense whatsoever. anyone with athleticism can beat another team off the dribble and that doesn't show good basketball, just better athleticism....

or something like that. my point is he was not happy with Brianna's performance even tho people look at the numbers and might say "wow that's great". so will she see more minutes and hopefully be used against Baylor? depends how good her defense is and how well she can fit into the offense.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In his post-game presser after the A&M game Geno said he was proud of Brianna for how she played in the A&M game and hoped she would build on her performance.

Reaction Score

It should be remembered by Geno that Brianna has made one breakthrough: her realization that "There's my idea of playing hard and then there's UConn's idea of playing hard" (or words to that effect).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
i recall hearing/reading comments from Geno regarding her breakout game of 17 points vs. FDU “I thought it was the worst exhibition of basketball I’ve ever seen by two teams in the 27 years I’ve been in Connecticut,” Auriemma said. “We should give everybody a refund.”

he went on to say that Brianna's 17 points were not impressive as they did not come in the flow of the offense and was basically the result of her driving to the basket without running any offense whatsoever. anyone with athleticism can beat another team off the dribble and that doesn't show good basketball, just better athleticism....

or something like that. my point is he was not happy with Brianna's performance even tho people look at the numbers and might say "wow that's great". so will she see more minutes and hopefully be used against Baylor? depends how good her defense is and how well she can fit into the offense.
Precisely.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Cat is correct. Geno praised Brianna after Tuesday's game. On offense, I believe she was 1-2 from the arc and also drove twice without scoring. She looked pretty good to me. I'd like to see Geno get her ready to face ND's guard-oriented offense.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno made his comments about Brianna after explaining why some of the younger players (e.g., Kiah and Brianna) didn't play as many minutes. He said they don't (yet) compete on every possession. I interpreted his remarks to mean that Brianna did just that, albeit in limited minutes.

Reaction Score
ALL -- 1. It would be difficult for me to imagine that Banks does not compete hard.....possible....but difficult. And, if that is the case, I would be very disappointed. Stokes - different story, in my view.
2. Granted, we all perceive things differently and as a function of the many different variables that influence the perceptual processes. My perception re Banks' drives to the basket is that, for the MOST part, she uses lanes that tend to be more clear of defenders and bodies than the lanes often chosen by Hayes and Hartley.......rarely have I seen her really "force" a drive and end up with a half-butted hail-Mary shot or an outright turnover.
3. If we are trying to play to the strenghts of our kids, one of her strengths is obviously her ability to drive to the hoop and score.....and this was touted by the coaches even before the season began. My hunch would be that she is one confused kid right now ( would surely not be the first) and probably a rather unhappy one.........note that she is developing Kelly-style bags under her eyes.........just not quite as evident due to pigmentation differences
4. Speaking of kids not being utilized, I remain a supporter of point-a-minute Johnson.....she doesnt get that every time out there, but it feels like she comes pretty darn close at times and snags some rebounds as well. I still contend she can beat Dolson down the floor. .

Reaction Score
Players always said that geno's practices are harder than games........They are playing against male practice players who are faster, stronger and taller than most of the guards except Tiff and maybe KML.......

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
As I understand it, it's not just that UConn practices against men (which other programs do), but also that Geno runs crazy scenarios, like three on five for an extended period, such that game conditions seem like a vacation by comparison.

Banks is very talented and very raw. She's going to continue to get minutes against bad teams and have a short leash against good ones, but she's going to be a very valuable player for UConn when all is said and done.

What's scary is that there's a very good chance she never starts at UConn. Scary for the rest of WCBB. Someone with that kind of athleticism coming off the bench after the kind of talent UConn will bring in its starting five is just not fair.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
ALL -- 1. It would be difficult for me to imagine that Banks does not compete hard.....possible....but difficult. And, if that is the case, I would be very disappointed. Stokes - different story, in my view.
2. Granted, we all perceive things differently and as a function of the many different variables that influence the perceptual processes. My perception re Banks' drives to the basket is that, for the MOST part, she uses lanes that tend to be more clear of defenders and bodies than the lanes often chosen by Hayes and Hartley.......rarely have I seen her really "force" a drive and end up with a half-butted hail-Mary shot or an outright turnover.
3. If we are trying to play to the strenghts of our kids, one of her strengths is obviously her ability to drive to the hoop and score.....and this was touted by the coaches even before the season began. My hunch would be that she is one confused kid right now ( would surely not be the first) and probably a rather unhappy one......... .

well said BUT Im sure the staff want her to learn the UConn style of basketball. It will help her become a well-rounded player.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
3. If we are trying to play to the strenghts of our kids, one of her strengths is obviously her ability to drive to the hoop and score.....and this was touted by the coaches even before the season began. My hunch would be that she is one confused kid right now ( would surely not be the first) and probably a rather unhappy one.........note that she is developing Kelly-style bags under her eyes.........just not quite as evident due to pigmentation differences.

Problem is that if the staff only feeds that ability and does not force her to learn to run the offense and use the structure she will remain one dimensional. Being one dimensional means one ends up being used ONLY in situations when that particular gift or skill is the necessary asset. I doubt that is Brianna's long term vision for herself as hard as it may be to learn and adapt to functioning in the bigger picture. Defensively she is a huge asset with her speed and quickness. Offensively she needs to learn how to make the whole team better within the game not just get to the rim. That takes rehearsal and that means running the offense.

One thing for all these young players to remember is that there have been UConn players who came off the bench for 3 and 4 years and still have had WNBA careers. Why? Because they learned to play the game the right way.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno made his comments about Brianna after explaining why some of the younger players (e.g., Kiah and Brianna) didn't play as many minutes. He said they don't (yet) compete on every possession. I interpreted his remarks to mean that Brianna did just that, albeit in limited minutes.

This, from Carl A.'s article in Nan's clips, is a good example of what Geno meant when he said compete on every possession:

“The last team that I had that played mistake free basketball was in 2002,” Auriemma said. “They played hard and made no mistakes. Most teams do make mistakes and those mistakes usually come from inexperience or lack of maturity. You can make up for mistakes by how hard you compete for things.”

The Hall of Fame coach made a point of that to one of his freshmen late in the first half Tuesday.

During a scramble in the lane, Kiah Stokes — who had entered the game just 20 seconds earlier — bent over to pick up a loose ball instead of hitting the floor and at least getting a jump ball call. Texas A&M got possession. Auriemma turned to his assistant coaches and imitated what Stokes had done.

Heather Buck replaced Stokes at the next whistle.

Contrast Kiah's play with Kaleena's who dove for the ball and came up with a steal 10 seconds after turning the ball over. Not to pick on Kiah, but this is what she (and Brianna) have to learn.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I'm sure they get to watch themselves over and over on film :) Kiah does look a little tentative out there at times. I'm sure Geno would rather you make a mistake or get called for a foul being overly aggressive than be tentative. Kelly and KML are perfect examples of this...they might miss shots, or in Kelly's case let the ball slip through her fingers, but they go down and get it back on defense.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I like this years class alot. BB and Kiah have a world of talent and once their talent meet their hard work they are going to be great. Its takes time to learn, and be developed. It will happen.

Reaction Score
I think BB is an excellent and athletic player in the mode of K. Greene and A. Battle. Her speed and quickness seem more than what Ketia had (which was substantial). BB's foul line stroke is beautiful and every time I have seen her there the ball hits nothing but net - - and for a freshman there has to be pressure being on the line no matter the score. Those drives and her 17 points - - hmm, to me she had the lanes and her instincts took over and the ball hit the nets with her showing poise and grace on the way to the hoop. Remember when she pulled back pre-season and Geno asked her what she would have done last year? She said drive and he said well, basketball is basketball - - in my view indicating to her she should drive. So, my hope is that she is not feeling distressed and continuing to look to improve. Different rates of improvement for different kids. But potential and the willingness to learn all seem to be there. She seems like a quiet but humble (and sensitive?) kid here to learn and work hard - - which I find appealing considering some of the jerks we have seen on other teams. This is a road of discovery for her - she is probably 18, right? (remember when we were 18 - ouch!). I hope Geno was being honest with her (and us) when he said he saw good things from her in A&M and was looking to build on them. I see her as developing into a key player. I think we should acknowledge her when she is on the court and does well to show her we are behind her as fans and give her confidence.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I hope Geno was being honest with her (and us) when he said he saw good things from her in A&M and was looking to build on them. I see her as developing into a key player. I think we should acknowledge her when she is on the court and does well to show her we are behind her as fans and give her confidence.

Geno's press conference is available on the team website. You can judge for yourself but I don't know of any reason why Geno would not be honest in that situation.

Reaction Score
HUSKY -- WILL STICK SOME CAPS WITHIN YOUR POST BELOW:
I think BB is an excellent and athletic player in the mode of K. Greene and A. Battle. Her speed and quickness seem more than what Ketia had (which was substantial). BB's foul line stroke is beautiful and every time I have seen her there the ball hits nothing but net - - and for a freshman there has to be pressure being on the line no matter the score. Those drives and her 17 points - - hmm, to me she had the lanes and her instincts took over and the ball hit the nets with her showing poise and grace on the way to the hoop. Remember when she pulled back pre-season and Geno asked her what she would have done last year? She said drive and he said well, basketball is basketball - - in my view indicating to her she should drive. PRECISELY THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE IN AN EARLIER POST ABOUT PARENTS "MAKING SCHIZOPHRENICS" BY GIVING THEIR KIDS GLARINGLY INCONSISTENT MESSAGES. AM I CONTENDING THAT COACH IS MAKIING SCHIZOPHRENICS? RIDICULOUS. BUT, LIKE MOST ALL OF US, HE CAN BE RATHER CONTRADICTORY. IN THIS INSTANCE, IT CERTAINLY SEEMS TO ME HE IS CAUSING THIS KID SOME SERIOUS CONFUSION ABOUT HOW SHE SHOULD CONDUCT HERSELF ON THE COURT. . NOT "BASHING" HIM.....JUST GIVING MY PERCEPTION. HE'S A PERSON....WITH MANY TERRIFIC STRENGTHS AND ALSO SOME AREAS WHERE I'M SURE HE'D LIKE TO IMPROVE A BIT, BEING A PERFECTIONIST. GOLLY, I USED TO HAVE A FEW SUCH AREAS MYSELF :rolleyes: .So, my hope is that she is not feeling distressed and continuing to look to improve. Different rates of improvement for different kids. But potential and the willingness to learn all seem to be there. She seems like a quiet but humble (and sensitive?) kid here to learn and work hard - - which I find appealing considering some of the jerks we have seen on other teams. This is a road of discovery for her - she is probably 18, right? (remember when we were 18 - ouch!). I hope Geno was being honest with her (and us) when he said he saw good things from her in A&M and was looking to build on them. I see her as developing into a key player. I think we should acknowledge her when she is on the court and does well to show her we are behind her as fans and give her confidence.
THINK YOUR POST HERE IS VERY SOLID AND ON-TARGET FROM START TO FINISH. AND VERY SENSITIVE AS WELL.

FOR THE POSTERS IN THIS THREAD WHO POINTED OUT THE IMPORTANCE OF HAVING A KID LEARN THE TOTAL OFFENSE AND NOT JUST FOCUS ON ONE SKILL......YOU GUYS ARE OBVIOUSLY SAVVY GUYS; THOSE POINTS ARE CERTAINLY WELL MADE......AND I AM WELL AWARE OF THE IMPORTANCE OF BOTH LEARNING THE LARGER OFFENSIVE PICTURE AND ADDING TO YOUR SKILLS. AT THE SAME TIME, I CAN'T EQUATE OR SQUARE THAT THAT GOAL WITH THE PROCESS OF DEFLATING A SENSITIVE KID, AFTER HER SECOND COLLEGE GAME OR SO, IN WHICH SHE WAS DOING WHAT SHE THOUGHT HE HAD TOLD HER TO DO.......AND DOING IT AT LEAST AS WELL AS ANYBODY ON THE COURT (INCLUDING HARTLEY AND HAYES). WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT STYLES - MINE, IN THAT SITUATION WOULD HAVE BEEN TO LET HER KNOW SHE DID ONE HELLUVA JOB (WHICH YOU DID, BANKS) AND THEN LET HER KNOW WHAT I WANT TO SEE HER ADD NEXT TIME OUT. HAVE I ALWAYS HANDLED SITUATIONS IN THE BEST MANNER? OF COURSE NOT. HINDSIGHT IS ALWAYS A HUGE HELP. BOTTOM LINE: I HOPE BOTH BANKS AND COACH HAVE TREMENDOUS GAMES TONIGHT - AND EVERY NIGHT. I CAN'T WAIT.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
PARENTS "MAKING SCHIZOPHRENICS" BY GIVING THEIR KIDS GLARINGLY INCONSISTENT MESSAGES.

Just in case anyone takes words seriously, or has this diagnosis in their family or with a loved one, or even with someone they just know, there is no evidence that parenting style causes schizophrenia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom