What about 2016? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What about 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Growing up as a tyke Dodger fan I knew it broke my relatives heart when they left Brooklyn At that time Sandy couldn't hit the ground jumping from a window, none the less a catchers mitt. Once he found it, well. I still tell people today he was the best lefty I ever saw. I still hate the Dodgers to this day for leaving. However, I'll never forget him striking out Mantle in the series with a 3-2 change up. He always was a classy player and a gentleman.

Unless you're a old Dodger fan, or have researched the "early" Los Angeles Dodgers , you would not know that about Koufax. You are correct about your observation about Sandy. Koufax was wild during the early part of his major league career. Here's a brief look at Koufax's 12 year MLB career:

Sanford "Sandy" Koufax; born Sanford Braun; December 30, 1935. Koufax was born in Brooklyn, New York, to a Jewish family. His parents, Evelyn (née Lichtenstein) and Jack Braun, divorced when he was three years old. His mother was remarried when he was nine, to Irving Koufax. Sandy pitched twelve seasons for the Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers, from 1955 to 1966. Koufax, at age 36 in 1972, became the youngest player ever elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Koufax's career peaked with a run of six outstanding years from 1961 to 1966, before arthritis in his left elbow ended his career prematurely at age 30. He was an All-Star for six seasons[2] and was the National League's Most Valuable Player in 1963. He won three Cy Young Awards in 1963, 1965, and 1966, by unanimous votes, making him the first three-time Cy Young winner in baseball history and the only one to win three times when one overall award was given for all of major league baseball instead of one award for each league. Koufax also won the NL Triple Crown for pitchers those same three years by leading the NL in wins, strikeouts, and earned run average.

Koufax was the first major league pitcher to pitch four no-hitters
and the eighth pitcher to pitch a perfect game in baseball history. Despite his comparatively short career, Koufax's 2,396 career strikeouts ranked 7th in history as of his retirement, trailing only Warren Spahn (2,583) among left-handers. Koufax, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martínez, and Nolan Ryan are the only four pitchers elected to the Hall of Fame who had more strikeouts than innings pitched.

Koufax is also remembered as one of the outstanding Jewish athletes in American sports. His decision not to pitch Game 1 of the 1965 World Series because it fell on Yom Kippur garnered national attention as an example of conflict between professional pressures and personal beliefs.

Career overall -
Koufax made his major league debut on June 24, 1955 against the Milwaukee Braves. After the 1966 world series, Koufax announced his retirement due to his arthritic condition

In his 12-season career, Koufax had a 165–87 record with a 2.76 ERA, 2,396 strikeouts, 137 complete games, and 40 shutouts. He was the first pitcher to average fewer than seven hits allowed per nine innings pitched in his career (6.79) and to strike out more than nine batters (9.28) per nine innings pitched in his career. He also became the 2nd pitcher in baseball history to have two games with 18 or more strikeouts, and the first to have eight games with 15 or more strikeouts. In his last ten seasons, from 1957 to 1966, batters hit .203 against Koufax, with a .271 on-base percentage and a .315 slugging average.

Koufax was the first pitcher to win multiple Cy Young Awards, as well as the first pitcher to win a Cy Young Award by a unanimous vote. He is also the only pitcher to win three Cy Young Awards in the era in which the award was presented to one pitcher across the board, rather than one in each major league. Koufax was special.

We knew it then as we watched him, just like the folks in Cincinnati knew they were watching a future HOF player in Johnny Bench. It was a pleasure and a privilege to watch Koufax during his "glory" years.
The only thing that rivaled Koufax's glory years here was "Fernando-mania", :eek: but that's another story for another time. Koufax was part of four world series championships in '55, '59, '63 & '65.
From 1961-1965, Koufax had no peer.
He was one of the best pitchers in MLB during that span, and everybody knew it. Those were the good old days in Los Angels Dodger baseball lore.

Currently, Koufax serves as a member of the advisory board of the Baseball Assistance Team, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping former Major League, Minor League, and Negro League players through financial and medical difficulties. On January 23, 2013 the Dodgers hired Koufax as a Special Advisor to team Chairman Mark Walter. Koufax worked with the pitchers during spring training and will consult during the season.[88] On April 1, 2013, Koufax threw out the first pitch during ceremonies at Dodger Stadium.

On July 14, 2015, before the 2015 MLB All-Star Game, Koufax was introduced as one of the four best living players (as selected by the fans of major league baseball), along with Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Johnny Bench. He threw the ceremonial first pitch to Bench from in front of the base of the mound.

I tried to keep this short. There's a lot more I could have included. :)

Reaction Score
Diana with the game on the line should take the last shot and the next choice would be Kerry Bascom.She was big time in those situations.Geno was asked this question a while ago and before he could answer the crowd said Taurasi.He agreed and said Bascom would be next.

Reaction Score
Diana with the game on the line should take the last shot and the next choice would be Kerry Bascom.She was big time in those situations.Geno was asked this question a while ago and before he could answer the crowd said Taurasi.He agreed and said Bascom would be next.
Dee's horrid shooting in the 2nd half against ND in the 2001 semis, and I think it's the 2004 NC (many will know if this is the one better than I) that she took an open shot near the end of the game and missed it badly, and then proceeded to clunk two foul shots. I don't think she scored again, and her teammates won the game for her.

I hope I'm not coming off as anything but in awe of her. Just that she has unbelievable charisma and that tends to blind us to specifics. Dee was never a great defender nor a really disciplined player. Her greatness to a large degree depends on quantity: she does a whole lot of things all the time, including (to her lasting greatness) being intrepid about shooting even when she's ice cold (Geno encourages shooters to shoot). I just think we think she's "Ms. Clutch" because of all the shots she does make throughout the game.

Until Stewie misses her first clutch shot, I'm going to keep giving her the ball. 4 time MOP NCAA NC.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Absolutely true. But Bob Gibson's 1968 season is arguably the most dominant performance in all MLB history.[/QUO

During my youth, I was also a fan of the St. Louis Cardinals. I remember Gibson's dominance during his career. Some pitchers threw as hard, but no one threw harder. Few baatters were sucessful against Gibson on a regular basis. I remember of of his team mates during the 60's : Stan Musial, Bill White, Curt Flood (the father of MLB free agency), Ken Boyer, Julian Javier, Curt Simmons, Ernie Brolio, Ray Sadeki, Gary Kolb, Gene Oliver, and a young rookie named Tim McCarver when he broke into the majors. Johnny Keane was the manager. I always made sure I went to the stadium to catch at least one game during a series when the Cardinals came to town. BTW, Don Drysdale wasn't chopped liver either. Looking back, I really miss those days. Dodger Stadium was still new (opened in '62), the Dodgers were winning championships, Tommy Davis was winning batting titles, life was good.

Reaction Score
Her greatness to a large degree depends on quantity: she does a whole lot of things all the time, including (to her lasting greatness) being intrepid about shooting even when she's ice cold (Geno encourages shooters to shoot). I just think we think she's "Ms. Clutch" because of all the shots she does make throughout the game.

Until Stewie misses her first clutch shot, I'm going to keep giving her the ball. 4 time MOP NCAA NC.
So DT fooled us into thinking she was clutch for 4 years?? Don't think so.

Reaction Score
So DT fooled us into thinking she was clutch for 4 years?? Don't think so.
I think you may have somewhat misunderstood my point. She's certainly clutch, just not quite as clutch as we think. When the announcers say Diana Taurasi with the same tone as they say Michael Jordan, you know they are creating a story line to keep viewers interested, a heroic epic of an individual against a team. After all, Jordan made that great Nike commercial in which he acknowledged how many last second shots he missed. My point is not to diminish Dee, but rather to say that I have more trust in Stewie because she's completely unblockable.

Reaction Score
Let me say honestly that, while she may truly be the greatest ever, I've seen Dee miss a number of pressure shots (and foul shots). My vote for last possession is Stewie, because she's completely undefendable, inside, outside, and center. No one has her array of shots, so, if time is winding down and the defense is throwing something crazy at her, she has a far better chance of getting in position to take a high percentage shot.

Sure, if double or triple teamed, Dee is better at making the great pass to an open teammate. But if the player absolutely has to shoot the ball (say there are only 3 seconds left), then Stewie for sure.

Okay- but which great player have you ever seen that didn't miss a clutch shot or have a clutch turnover? So you've seen her miss clutch shots- so has every great player in the history of the sport.

I do think Stewie is GOAT though. Not necessarily taking the last shot. Maybe.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Statue of only one person outside Werth Champions Center? Geno Auriemma.:)

No UConn fan in their right mind would argue that choice. Geno is the face of the program, and the catalyst for its success!!!

Reaction Score
IMHO SG Nurse/ PG Chong/ C Butler/ SF KLS/ and PF Collier will start the first several games with Gabby 1st off the bench to add a push to the lineup! Crystal Dangerfield & Irwin will get more playing time as they learn the ropes.
I really think Saniya & Natalie are going to bust their butts in the off season to come back better than they've ever been!
Defense will lead the way early then the offense will blossom in late Dec. or early Jan.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Unless you're a old Dodger fan, or have researched the "early" Los Angeles Dodgers , you would not know that about Koufax. You are correct about your observation about Sandy. Koufax was wild during the early part of his major league career. Here's a brief look at Koufax's 12 year MLB career:

Sanford "Sandy" Koufax; born Sanford Braun; December 30, 1935. Koufax was born in Brooklyn, New York, to a Jewish family. His parents, Evelyn (née Lichtenstein) and Jack Braun, divorced when he was three years old. His mother was remarried when he was nine, to Irving Koufax. Sandy pitched twelve seasons for the Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers, from 1955 to 1966. Koufax, at age 36 in 1972, became the youngest player ever elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Koufax's career peaked with a run of six outstanding years from 1961 to 1966, before arthritis in his left elbow ended his career prematurely at age 30. He was an All-Star for six seasons[2] and was the National League's Most Valuable Player in 1963. He won three Cy Young Awards in 1963, 1965, and 1966, by unanimous votes, making him the first three-time Cy Young winner in baseball history and the only one to win three times when one overall award was given for all of major league baseball instead of one award for each league. Koufax also won the NL Triple Crown for pitchers those same three years by leading the NL in wins, strikeouts, and earned run average.

Koufax was the first major league pitcher to pitch four no-hitters
and the eighth pitcher to pitch a perfect game in baseball history. Despite his comparatively short career, Koufax's 2,396 career strikeouts ranked 7th in history as of his retirement, trailing only Warren Spahn (2,583) among left-handers. Koufax, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martínez, and Nolan Ryan are the only four pitchers elected to the Hall of Fame who had more strikeouts than innings pitched.

Koufax is also remembered as one of the outstanding Jewish athletes in American sports. His decision not to pitch Game 1 of the 1965 World Series because it fell on Yom Kippur garnered national attention as an example of conflict between professional pressures and personal beliefs.

Career overall -
Koufax made his major league debut on June 24, 1955 against the Milwaukee Braves. After the 1966 world series, Koufax announced his retirement due to his arthritic condition

In his 12-season career, Koufax had a 165–87 record with a 2.76 ERA, 2,396 strikeouts, 137 complete games, and 40 shutouts. He was the first pitcher to average fewer than seven hits allowed per nine innings pitched in his career (6.79) and to strike out more than nine batters (9.28) per nine innings pitched in his career. He also became the 2nd pitcher in baseball history to have two games with 18 or more strikeouts, and the first to have eight games with 15 or more strikeouts. In his last ten seasons, from 1957 to 1966, batters hit .203 against Koufax, with a .271 on-base percentage and a .315 slugging average.

Koufax was the first pitcher to win multiple Cy Young Awards, as well as the first pitcher to win a Cy Young Award by a unanimous vote. He is also the only pitcher to win three Cy Young Awards in the era in which the award was presented to one pitcher across the board, rather than one in each major league. Koufax was special.

We knew it then as we watched him, just like the folks in Cincinnati knew they were watching a future HOF player in Johnny Bench. It was a pleasure and a privilege to watch Koufax during his "glory" years.
The only thing that rivaled Koufax's glory years here was "Fernando-mania", :eek: but that's another story for another time. Koufax was part of four world series championships in '55, '59, '63 & '65.
From 1961-1965, Koufax had no peer. He was one of the best pitchers in MLB during that span, and everybody knew it. Those were the good old days in Los Angels Dodger baseball lore.

Currently, Koufax serves as a member of the advisory board of the Baseball Assistance Team, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping former Major League, Minor League, and Negro League players through financial and medical difficulties. On January 23, 2013 the Dodgers hired Koufax as a Special Advisor to team Chairman Mark Walter. Koufax worked with the pitchers during spring training and will consult during the season.[88] On April 1, 2013, Koufax threw out the first pitch during ceremonies at Dodger Stadium.

On July 14, 2015, before the 2015 MLB All-Star Game, Koufax was introduced as one of the four best living players (as selected by the fans of major league baseball), along with Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Johnny Bench. He threw the ceremonial first pitch to Bench from in front of the base of the mound.

I tried to keep this short. There's a lot more I could have included. :)
I was not a Dodger fan, but Koufax was fun to watch. As with Nolan Ryan, a no-hitter could happen at any time. He had probably the best fastball and best curveball in the league. He dominated hitters as much as anyone ever has.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I was not a Dodger fan, but Koufax was fun to watch. As with Nolan Ryan, a no-hitter could happen at any time. He had probably the best fastball and best curveball in the league. He dominated hitters as much as anyone ever has.

The "Express" - Ryan was a great and dominate (and consistent) pitcher during his career. We had him out here with the Angels for a few years. He was a fan favorite. You'll get no argument from me. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Dee's horrid shooting in the 2nd half against ND in the 2001 semis, and I think it's the 2004 NC (many will know if this is the one better than I) that she took an open shot near the end of the game and missed it badly, and then proceeded to clunk two foul shots. I don't think she scored again, and her teammates won the game for her.

I hope I'm not coming off as anything but in awe of her. Just that she has unbelievable charisma and that tends to blind us to specifics. Dee was never a great defender nor a really disciplined player. Her greatness to a large degree depends on quantity: she does a whole lot of things all the time, including (to her lasting greatness) being intrepid about shooting even when she's ice cold (Geno encourages shooters to shoot). I just think we think she's "Ms. Clutch" because of all the shots she does make throughout the game.

Half court shot,then a step back 3 to tie end of regulation and winning basket to beat Tenn.TEXAS IN FF IN 2003 DOWN 6 WITH 3 MINUTES TO GO Diana hit the key shots to win.Oklahoma in 2002 Geno gives her ball to create her own shot or to dump it to an open shooter.With 3 players collapsing on her she hits the shot and Stacey Dales fouls out out of the game.When did Stewie have to do that?Moriah should have been MOP in 2015 even Stewie said so.If they ever needed a clutch shot.I would think KML would be an option before Stewie her first 3 years.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Here is a brief bio on Ryan:

Lynn Nolan Ryan, Jr. (born January 31, 1947), nicknamed "The Ryan Express", is a former Major League Baseball (MLB) pitcher and a previous chief executive officer (CEO) of the Texas Rangers. He is currently an executive adviser to the owner of the Houston Astros.

During a major league record 27-year baseball career (1966, 19681993), he pitched for four different teams: the New York Mets, California Angels, Houston Astros, and Texas Rangers. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1999.[1]

Ryan, a hard-throwing, right-handed pitcher, threw pitches that were regularly recorded above 100 miles per hour (161 km/h). The high velocity remained throughout his career, even into his 40s. Ryan was also known to throw a devastating 12–6 curveball at exceptional velocity for a breaking ball.[2]

While his lifetime winning percentage was .526, Ryan was an eight-time MLB All-Star, and his 5,714 career strikeouts rank first in baseball history by a significant margin.[1] He leads the runner-up, Randy Johnson, by 839 strikeouts. Similarly, Ryan's 2,795 bases on balls lead second-place Steve Carlton by 962—walking over 50% more hitters than any other pitcher in MLB history. Ryan, Pedro Martínez, Randy Johnson, and Sandy Koufax are the only four pitchers inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame who had more strikeouts than innings pitched. Other than Jackie Robinson (whose number was retired by the entire MLB), Ryan is currently the only major league baseball player to have his number retired by at least three different teams: the Angels, Astros, and Rangers.

Ryan is the all-time leader in no-hitters with seven, three more than any other pitcher. He is tied with Bob Feller for the most one-hitters, with 12. Ryan also pitched 18 two-hitters. Despite the seven no-hitters, he never threw a perfect game, nor did he ever win a Cy Young Award. Ryan is one of only 29 players in baseball history to have appeared in Major League baseball games in four decades and the only pitcher to have struck out seven pairs of fathers and sons.

Ryan was also the first MLB player to sign a million dollar a year contract. That's right. He broke the million dollar a year barrier first. A guy that only took the field twice a week. That's how much the Astros respected his talent and dominance.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Koufax had the success he had without throwing a slider. Fastball, curveball, change-up.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
"A guy that only took the field twice a week. That's how much the Astros respected his talent and dominance."

Nice recap of Nolan's accomplishments, Carnac. Although he only took the field twice a week, he spent hours working out everyday with weights and other exercises to keep his arm and shoulder in top shape. He showed incredible dedication and self-discipline, which is why he had such a powerful fastball and long career.

Reaction Score
bags, I understand what you are saying. When the team wins, it is understandable that people forget missed shots. When the team loses. that miss at the end is all they remember! I think it was the Texas game in which Dee heroically brought the team to the brink of victory. But at the end, an undoubtedly exhausted DT missed what could have been crucial free throws. Her role playing teammates made some huge plays and the victory was preserved.
Hopefully people would have remembered DTs great performance even if the team lost, but those missed free throws would also have been remembered.
Stewie? She almost always came up big in big games but she just wasn't put into those last second clutch situations. I guess who I'd want with the ball depends upon the other team. Of course ideally it would be Diana passing to Stewie! :D

Reaction Score
I am looking forward to this season. While I like watching UCONN win, it does get boring with the 50 point wins against poor teams and 30 point wins against excellent teas. There is no mystery as to who will win, just by how much. Watching them play at such a skilled level is great but I would like to see some of those N.D./UCONN games where the outcome is determined when the final buzzer sounds. I need a little excitement in my life. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I am looking forward to this season. While I like watching UCONN win, it does get boring with the 50 point wins against poor teams and 30 point wins against excellent teas. There is no mystery as to who will win, just by how much. Watching them play at such a skilled level is great but I would like to see some of those N.D./UCONN games where the outcome is determined when the final buzzer sounds. I need a little excitement in my life. :)

Hey Tony, I hear you man. The last 2 years, there was not much doubt if UConn was going to win or not. But as you said, by how much. This year's team will NOT be clocked in, or enjoy that type of mystique.
There will be some doubt, there will be some angst, and some gnashing of teeth. There will be some times when sitting still in front of our TV sets without moving from one cheek to the other will be almost impossible.
This season will be a blast for WCBB fans in general, and UConn fans specifically. The target on the Huskies back this year will be bigger than normal. All of their opponents will want a piece of them. Everyone wants to be the first to beat UConn. A feat easier said than done. Who Dat? Who doesn't want to knock off the mighty UConn Huskies. The reigning champions of WCBB, and stick THAT feather in their cap? Who Dat?
It's certainly a good bet that Notre Dame, South Carolina and Baylor ALL have "beating UConn" on the very top of their to do lists this coming season. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Koufax had the success he had without throwing a slider. Fastball, curveball, change-up.

Hey Gus, Koufax didn't need a slider. Nobody could hit the other three pitches with any degree of regularity. It has been said that Koufax's curve ball broke and dropped like a ball rolling off a table. When he was on, he was ON!! ;)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Hey Gus, Koufax didn't need a slider. Nobody could hit the other three pitches with any degree of regularity. It has been said that Koufax's curve ball broke and dropped like a ball rolling off a table. When he was on, he was ON!! ;)
I know. That's the point: His "stuff" was so good, those three were enough. At the big-league level, it made him a rare bird.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Continued....................It was common place for Sandy to have double digit strikeouts in most of his games during that era.
Don Drysdale was just as dominant during this time also. The only guy that gave Drysdale fits was Willie McCovey. (San Francisco Giants 1st baseman). He could not get big Willie out. McCovey owned him.

Interesting fact about Dodger Stadium: Only 3 players have hit a home run ball completely out of Dodger Stadium during its 54 year history (opened in 1962).

Wilver "Willie" Stargell (Pittsburgh Pirates) is the only person to ever hit two home runs out of Dodger Stadium. His first was a 506 foot bomb off of pitcher Alan Foster on August 5th 1969, and the other was a 470 foot shot off of Andy Messersmith on May 8th 1973.

Mike Piazza became the second player and only Dodger to ever hit a home run out of the park. On September 21st 1997, Mike Piazza hit a 478 foot home run off of San Francisco Giant pitcher Mike Lansing.

Mark McGwire (St. Louis Cardinals) hit the longest home run at 511 ft over the right field pavilion at Dodger Stadium against pitcher Brian Bohanon on July 17th 1998.........and it's still bouncing. :eek:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think the curveball broke about 2 feet. It was unreal. Bert Blyleven and Camilo Pascual were the only guys I saw with anything comparable.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I know. That's the point: His "stuff" was so good, those three were enough. At the big-league level, it made him a rare bird.
The Sandman threw only one pitch and still no one could hit it.

800px-Mariano_Rivera_throwing_ball_2007.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds