What about 2016? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What about 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stan Musial was not only one of baseball's legendary players (check his '46 stats!), he was one of the finest people to ever play. In 20+ years, never any lapse in effort; never even a momentary issue with an ump or opponent. When Jackie Robinson was about to play (and many of his teammates threatened to not play), Stan quietly suppressed their anger and led them onto the field. Play ball!

KIB: Musial was one of the greats of that era that I never saw in person, but I followed him and his great teams for many years. Great, great days in our history. And he had great teammates for his many championships: Red Schoendienst, Enos Slaughter, etc. My impression of him as a man is that same as yours.
Would note, too, that along with many of the stars of that era, when we and our allies were defeating the Nazis, the Rising Sun and others all at the same time, he was not "too big" to join our military and the men of the time did to protect democracy.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Here's an interesting stat--number of AL MVPs for the group listed:

Ruth 1
Gehrig 2
DiMaggio 3
Mantle 3
Munson 1
Jackson 1 (with Oakland)
Guidry 0
Mattingly 1
Jeter 0

OTOH, here are all the players with more career hits than Jeter:

Rose
Cobb
Aaron
Musial
Speaker

It's a short list.

Which does a great job of showing the relative importance of hits (as opposed to extra base hits, homers, or just simply getting on base).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Actually, this is not such a great likeness of His Airness either:

1050x591

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Carnac, you need a respected lefty to go with your two righties from that era. That would be the great Warren Spahn. IIRC, I think he could hit with power too.

Oh yeah. I remember seeing #21 Warren Spann too. They were still in Milwaukee then, before they moved to Atlanta. I remember some of his teammates: Eddie Matthews, Del Crandell and Henry Aaron. Dodger broadcaster Vin Scully use to call Aaron "Bad Henry". Aaron gave the Dodgers fits. If you're going to talk about dominate left handers in that era, You start the conversation with Dodger pitcher (and MLB HOF) Sandy Koufax, and go from there.

Reaction Score
Stan Musial was not only one of baseball's legendary players (check his '46 stats!), he was one of the finest people to ever play. In 20+ years, never any lapse in effort; never even a momentary issue with an ump or opponent. When Jackie Robinson was about to play (and many of his teammates threatened to not play), Stan quietly suppressed their anger and led them onto the field. Play ball!
Agree in all respects! Yes, we have formed a community here because of our mutual and well-justified love for UConn Women's Basketball....but baseball remains the greatest and most perfect game ever invented. For those of a certain vintage, folks who knew the game during its golden era, the era before PED's and designated hitters, no star shone more brightly than that of Stan the Man! Sadly, when I read retrospectives of the game, and latter day discussions of the GOATs, an inverse relationship seems to exist between the mileage from New York City and the fields of play for many stars with respect to the durability of their individual legends. Ah, Stan, never fear, lots of us will never forget you!

Carnac

Reaction Score
This would make for a great statue. Sorry, Triad! ;)

813857113.jpg

OK Milford, you've started something. You proposed a thought that I'm going to take a little further. Since we're in a bit of a lull right now with breaking news stories (transfers/commiments to UConn), I'm going to start a thought provoking topic.

Seeing this picture of Maya, made me take a moment and give thought to this hypothetical question.............IF the University of Connecticut wanted to honor its women's basketball program/legacy (like the Bulls did with Jordan) by placing a statue of one of its former players outside of Gampel Arena, who should they choose? Who is the one player that best symbolizes what the program stands for, and who should be considered the "face" of the program during the last 31 years? Is it Dee, Maya, Rebecca, Sue, Stewie? Who gets memorialized in bronze outside of Gampel?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
OK Milford, you've started something. You proposed a thought that I'm going to take a little further. Since we're in a bit of a lull right now with breaking news stories (transfers/commiments to UConn), I'm going to start a thought provoking topic.

Seeing this picture of Maya, made me take a moment and give thought to this hypothetical question...IF the University of Connecticut wanted to honor its women's basketball program/legacy (like the Bulls did with Jordan) by placing a statue of one of its former players outside of Gampel Arena, who should they choose? Who is the one player that best symbolizes what the program stands for, and who should be considered the "face" of the program during the last 31 years? Is it Dee, Maya, Rebecca, Sue, Stewie? Who gets memorialized in bronze outside of Gampel?
That would be a great poll question...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who is the one player that best symbolizes what the program stands for, and who should be considered the "face" of the program during the last 31 years? Is it Dee, Maya, Rebecca, Sue, Stewie? Who gets memorialized in bronze outside of Gampel?
At the rate they are mangling the likeness of the people in these statues I would say none of the above. If you twisted my arm slightly I would vote for DT.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Seeing this picture of Maya, made me take a moment and give thought to this hypothetical question...IF the University of Connecticut wanted to honor its women's basketball program/legacy (like the Bulls did with Jordan) by placing a statue of one of its former players outside of Gampel Arena, who should they choose? Who is the one player that best symbolizes what the program stands for, and who should be considered the "face" of the program during the last 31 years? Is it Dee, Maya, Rebecca, Sue, Stewie? Who gets memorialized in bronze outside of Gampel?

The women's program already made a choice during the construction of The Werth Family UConn Champions Center, no? The women's side of the lobby features a floor to ceiling mural of Maya Moore. Of course, this decision was made well before Stewie completed her 4 years of extraordinary accomplishments, but Maya was a pretty good choice. The men's side features Ray Allen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Well, this is who they chose for the Werth Center.

1050x591

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well, this is who they chose for the Werth Center.

1050x591

Maya was and is a great ambassador for UConn women's basketball, and the WNBA as well. You can never go wrong choosing to showcase Maya Moore. She gave a lot of teams headaches during her career at UConn. She plays hard on BOTH ends of the court, a coach's dream.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Oh yeah. I remember seeing #21 Warren Spann too. They were still in Milwaukee then, before they moved to Atlanta. I remember some of his teammates: Eddie Matthews, Del Crandell and Henry Aaron. Dodger broadcaster Vin Scully use to call Aaron "Bad Henry". Aaron gave the Dodgers fits. If you're going to talk about dominate left handers in that era, You start the conversation with Dodger pitcher (and MLB HOF) Sandy Koufax, and go from there.
I think you start and end the conversation there.

Reaction Score

If we've got one shot to win the game, the ball goes to DT3. So DT3 gets the statue.

Reaction Score
If we've got one shot to win the game, the ball goes to DT3. So DT3 gets the statue.
Let me say honestly that, while she may truly be the greatest ever, I've seen Dee miss a number of pressure shots (and foul shots). My vote for last possession is Stewie, because she's completely undefendable, inside, outside, and center. No one has her array of shots, so, if time is winding down and the defense is throwing something crazy at her, she has a far better chance of getting in position to take a high percentage shot.

Sure, if double or triple teamed, Dee is better at making the great pass to an open teammate. But if the player absolutely has to shoot the ball (say there are only 3 seconds left), then Stewie for sure.

Reaction Score
What happened here? Wasn't anyone supervising the the "artist" that did this? And couldn't the customer have just said"no, take it back and do it right"? LOL
That is disgusting for sure, rivaled only by the wall of fame behind the Yankee left field.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think you start and end the conversation there.
Growing up as a tyke Dodger fan I knew it broke my relatives heart when they left Brooklyn At that time Sandy couldn't hit the ground jumping from a window, none the less a catchers mitt. Once he found it, well. I still tell people today he was the best lefty I ever saw. I still hate the Dodgers to this day for leaving. However, I'll never forget him striking out Mantle in the series with a 3-2 change up. He always was a classy player and a gentleman.

Carnac

Reaction Score
That's the correct answer.

Why not Geno? There's one of former head coach of the UNLV "Runnin Rebels" Jerry Tarkanian (w/ his towel) outside the the Thomas & Mack Arena in Las Vegas. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom