What about 2016? | The Boneyard

What about 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've turned to wine, women, and song (traditional panaceas), to cope with my excitement over 2017 and beyond. Now that I am somewhat becalmed, I am thinking about 2016. What will the Huskies look like THIS season? The team lost three AAs; who will replace them? Well, it will take two very gifted players to replace Bre, one on either side of the ball. No one out there like that. Stewart is worth about 20 points on O and shuts down many more on D. How do you make that up? Answer: you don't.

So: what's a poor coach to do? There is hope. Kyla Irwin can feasibly replace Morgan, points and D. Crystal is clearly Mo's heir apparent. Lou will evolve to become a better all-around player, perhaps a great one. But will all of this happen this year? The thought is it will not, the hope is that it will.

UConn's seasons take roughly 3 forms: the early shake-out when Geno looks for the best chemistry among his starters, settling on the starters and sending them out in every game, and the run at the NC featuring the settled team. IMO, the 5 starters will be Crystal at the point, Kia at the 2, Irwin and Napheesa under the basket, and Lou on the perimeter. This group won't score 80 points every night, but its defense should prevent that necessity.

Obviously, there are multiple options using most of the same people. If Crystal is slow off the mark, Geno can use Lou and Kia to bring the ball up and start Gabby inside with Kyla and Napheesa (3 forwards). Coach can use Gabby, Napheesa, with Lou on the perimeter and Kia and Crystal (3 guards).

Looks as if 2016 will be an adventure with variables surrounding the rooks. If the newbies are as good as advertised, the Huskies should still win more than their share. Otherwise: it's on to 2017.

Side note: For diversions, it's OK to come out of the closet as a Cub fan. Watch the US women excel at the Olympics. Catch up on “Game of Thrones” (don't feel bad if you have no idea what's happening; no one does) and enjoy the dragons and their mama. Check out “Peaky Binders” if you want to see the most beautifully visual gangsta scenes since Bonnie and Clyde bought it in slo-mo. Hey, life ain't so bad, is it, Huck?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I've turned to wine, women, and song (traditional panaceas), to cope with my excitement over 2017 and beyond. Now that I am somewhat becalmed, I am thinking about 2016. What will the Huskies look like THIS season? The team lost three AAs; who will replace them? Well, it will take two very gifted players to replace Bre, one on either side of the ball. No one out there like that. Stewart is worth about 20 points on O and shuts down many more on D. How do you make that up? Answer: you don't.

So: what's a poor coach to do? There is hope. Kyla Irwin can feasibly replace Morgan, points and D. Crystal is clearly Mo's heir apparent. Lou will evolve to become a better all-around player, perhaps a great one. But will all of this happen this year? The thought is it will not, the hope is that it will.

UConn's seasons take roughly 3 forms: the early shake-out when Geno looks for the best chemistry among his starters, settling on the starters and sending them out in every game, and the run at the NC featuring the settled team. IMO, the 5 starters will be Crystal at the point, Kia at the 2, Irwin and Napheesa under the basket, and Lou on the perimeter. This group won't score 80 points every night, but its defense should prevent that necessity.

Obviously, there are multiple options using most of the same people. If Crystal is slow off the mark, Geno can use Lou and Kia to bring the ball up and start Gabby inside with Kyla and Napheesa (3 forwards). Coach can use Gabby, Napheesa, with Lou on the perimeter and Kia and Crystal (3 guards).

Looks as if 2016 will be an adventure with variables surrounding the rooks. If the newbies are as good as advertised, the Huskies should still win more than their share. Otherwise: it's on to 2017.

Side note: For diversions, it's OK to come out of the closet as a Cub fan. Watch the US women excel at the Olympics. Catch up on “Game of Thrones” (don't feel bad if you have no idea what's happening; no one does) and enjoy the dragons and their mama. Check out “Peaky Binders” if you want to see the most beautifully visual gangsta scenes since Bonnie and Clyde bought it in slo-mo. Hey, life ain't so bad, is it, Huck?

Permit me to use the Damn Yankees as a model. For several decades, they seemed to have one totally dominant player. As Gehrig left, DiMaggio came on. Then Mantle. Next, Jeter.

Similarly, the UConn torch was passed from Diana to Maya to Stewie. (Apologies to Rebecca, Tina, Sue, et al.)

In both cases, there were interludes and one huge gap. Nobody ever really replaced The Babe and we prayerfully wait for Stewie's successor to appear.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I'm willing to state strongly the idea that Gabby will start.

I'm also willing to state that while very good, Jeter is a significant step down from Gehrig, DiMaggio, and Mantle.

Reaction Score
At tournament time, which is when it counts most: Kia, Katie Lou, Gabby, Natalie and Crystal. First off the bench: Napheesa, Kyla and Molly. Saniya will play if she can overcome the problem with her IT band; otherwise, she won't see a lot of minutes.

Reaction Score
At tournament time, which is when it counts most: Kia, Katie Lou, Gabby, Natalie and Crystal. First off the bench: Napheesa, Kyla and Molly. Saniya will play if she can overcome the problem with her IT band; otherwise, she won't see a lot of minutes.

I think Napheesa starts and stars, assuming she fully recovers from her injury this year, but I agree about Natalie. I think we need to hope that Natalie in her third season will be better than Kyla in her first season. I have high hopes for Kyla, but she's being given a very tall task for a freshman.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind being wrong, but IMO it could be quite a while before Dangerfield plays the type of defense that Auriemma may require before she can get on the floor for extended minutes. Her size means she'll need to be very active and disruptive while playing intelligently without fouling, much like Jefferson, to be an asset on that end of the floor. And I agree with Wally East that Jeter doesn't belong on a list of dominant players.

Reaction Score
Permit me to use the Damn Yankees as a model. For several decades, they seemed to have one totally dominant player. As Gehrig left, DiMaggio came on. Then Mantle. Next, Jeter.

Similarly, the UConn torch was passed from Diana to Maya to Stewie. (Apologies to Rebecca, Tina, Sue, et al.)

In both cases, there were interludes and one huge gap. Nobody ever really replaced The Babe and we prayerfully wait for Stewie's successor to appear.
Whether you believe Jeter was "dominant" or not, there was a 30-year gap between Mantle and him. Yankees who played in the intervening years and had their numbers retired:

Thurmond Munson
Reggie Jackson
Ron Guidry
Don Mattingly

IMO none of them were as "dominant" as Gehrig, DiMaggio or Mantle. Reggie probably comes the closest - especially his 3 first-pitch HRs off 3 pitchers in that World Series game. But he didn't play for the Yankees very long.

Reaction Score
I'm very excited to see the new blood but I'll expect a lot less of them than some here. Kyla Irwin will likely need time to adjust to the increased talent level she will face. Dangerfield has played with and against elite level players and Bent has played in a highly talented prep league and also faced some elite players in AAU. I may be incorrect but I believe that Irwin played in an AAU circuit locally for the most part and in a less than stellar HS league. Now I am not saying she won't develop into an outstanding stretch post player but the jump for her will be greater than either of the other freshmen. I'll be thrilled if Geno trusts her enough to spell posts who get into foul trouble.

I am constantly amazed at the over exuberant expectations placed on UConn's freshmen. Last year both Samuelson and Collier needed the better part of the season to adjust and they had the benefit of playing with, IMO, the best 3 seniors in wcbb. Dangerfield, Bent and Irwin won't have the advantage of having players cover for their errors. Anyone who thinks any of them will step into a starting slot is setting themselves up for disappointment. I expect to see some threads writing off at least some of them by early December.

Reaction Score
You can't replace Bre, Mo, and Morgan but UConn did have about a 30 point head start on most teams so you don't really have to.

I think Natalie Butler's off season, and the improvements she makes or doesn't make, will be pretty key in whether UConn is in Dallas or sitting at home watching the Final Four for the time since 2007.

My guess at starting 5-

PG- Crystal Dangerfield- Gotta start your best at this most important position regardless of being a frosh. She has the goods to handle it apparently
SG- Kia Nurse- Duh.
Wing- Katie Lou Samuelson- Duh.
PF- Gabby Williams- When you look at where to make up points from the seniors I would guess increased PT from Gabby and Napheesa is where I'd look for it.
C- Natalie Butler- The Big ? She doesn't have to be Stef Dolson. But she can't be Christine Rigby. Has to be solid. If not we are really small.

6th man- F- Napheesa Collier- Like Gabby I think she will really explode with the increased PT. If Butler doesn't improve she will start. She may anyway.
7th- Saniya Chong- Calming influence and contributor off bench.

I think that's your core 7 rotation. We will need to stay healthy.

Question marks- Kyla Irwin and Molly Bent- Will one or both be contributors this year? Are they better than their rankings suggest? Lots of unknown here.

Leading the high 5's after a 3 pointer- Courtney Ekmark and Tierney Lawlor.

Reaction Score
It's not fair to expect Danger, Kyla or Bent to be ready to contribute immediately when players who were top 10 in their class struggled in the first season. Will be happy to be proven wrong but at this point I see them coming from the bench. The starting 5 IMO will be Kia, KLS, Collier, Gabby and Butler with Chong replacing Butler in the starting 5 if Butler is not ready and if Chong is healed

Reaction Score
I keep reading that it's unfair to expect Dangerfield to start because other top players like Samuelson and Stewart struggled. But they started didn't they? Renee Montgomery started on Day 1 and Dangerfield is even higher ranked than her.

Reaction Score
I'm willing to state strongly the idea that Gabby will start.

I'm also willing to state that while very good, Jeter is a significant step down from Gehrig, DiMaggio, and Mantle.

But not at shortstop. Apples and oranges.

Reaction Score
I keep reading that it's unfair to expect Dangerfield to start because other top players like Samuelson and Stewart struggled. But they started didn't they? Renee Montgomery started on Day 1 and Dangerfield is even higher ranked than her.
Samuelson and Stewart are ranked #1 in their classes. They didn't start at day one.
Crystal may and will start but I don't think at day one.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

Actually, it was the CORE FOUR !

Came up together in 1995, played together for 17 seasons.

Reaction Score
I agree that it's not unfair to expect Dangerfield to start because that usually depends on team needs and level of talent surrounding the player. And once you hit the practice court, rankings of course mean nothing. IMO, the biggest determining factor for Dangerfield will be her defense. In HS and AAU her offensive pluses outweighed her defensive ability. I don't believe Auriemma will keep her on the floor for extended minutes if she doesn't meet his defensive demands. Because of her size she'll need to be very active and disruptive while playing intelligently without fouling to stay out there. Watching, turning, and following won't cut it at that level. I hope she can learn and pick it up quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom