What A Damn Shame, Chicken-Poop Syracuse Loses...[merged thread] | The Boneyard

What A Damn Shame, Chicken-Poop Syracuse Loses...[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
61-54, to lower ranked Arizona State, AT HOME in the 35,000 seat Carrier Dome...with a pathetic 526 'fans' in attendance! HAHAHAHAHA!

Little Colgate drew three times that crowd. Nice job, chicken Hillsman..

Go, Sun Devils1

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
61-54, to lower ranked Arizona State, AT HOME in the 35,000 seat Carrier Dome...with a pathetic 526 'fans' in attendance! HAHAHAHAHA!

What's that old saying.......athletics, like life and politics is not always fair. This is the best news I've heard today. :D

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . 61-54, before 526 fans. :(

I couldn't possibly make this stuff up, :)

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
AZ State underrated from day one. Terrific battle-tested coach and team. Syracuse overrated. Put them in AZ and no one would know Syracuse.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
. . . 61-54, before 526 fans. :(

I couldn't possibly make this stuff up, :)
See - there is a reason they try to suppress home attendance numbers - at least with Coppin State, only around 350 people were subject to their play. You bring in a ranked opponent and win or lose, more people come, and someone may notice that the coach isn't that good! :rolleyes:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not sure what the point in all this is. Cuse women simply do no pull in many fans, and the Carrier Dome could seat 1 million and that won't change. They averaged 674 in attendance last year, so why kick them about getting a 526 crowd in December for a non-ACC game? Should a team that doesn't have many fans have the drek hurled at it just because it plays in a huge unsuitable arena? Should we be dumping on teams that doesn't get many fans? For all its issues, the Cuse at least has been ranked this year for some reason, though that could change next week.

I get the hatred for Q and the hurt about the Stewie non-homecoming and some bad stuff about Cuse in the past and the ACC crap, but this just sounds petty and whiny. What do ACC fans like the Dukies think when they see vindictive threads like this? My own feeling is obvious: UConn should be better than that stuff.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not sure what the point in all this is. Cuse women simply do no pull in many fans, and the Carrier Dome could seat 1 million and that won't change. They averaged 674 in attendance last year, so why kick them about getting a 526 crowd in December for a non-ACC game? Should a team that doesn't have many fans have the drek hurled at it just because it plays in a huge unsuitable arena? Should we be dumping on teams that doesn't get many fans? For all its issues, the Cuse at least has been ranked this year for some reason, though that could change next week.

I get the hatred for Q and the hurt about the Stewie non-homecoming and some bad stuff about Cuse in the past and the ACC crap, but this just sounds petty and whiny. What do ACC fans like the Dukies think when they see vindictive threads like this? My own feeling is obvious: UConn should be better than that stuff, but if that feeling is out of place, give me another ban.
As to playing in the dome, I think it was the coach before Q's idea, and it suited Syracuse because they reconfigured the way they were using the old Manley Field House. And I (personally) thought Manley - where I trecked for RU games multiple times - was a disgrace for a big time program. Then I attended a Syracuse / RU game at the Dome - equally a sin.

They really needed an arena that was in better shape than Manley, but not necessarily bigger, IMO. I will add that they drew better - I think - back then. Maybe folks don't like going to the empty dome??

Reaction Score

I get the hatred for Q and the hurt about the Stewie non-homecoming and some bad stuff about Cuse in the past and the ACC crap, but this just sounds petty and whiny. What do ACC fans like the Dukies think when they see vindictive threads like this? My own feeling is obvious: UConn should be better than that stuff.

I respect your well thought out opinion. To me it is all about growing the game of women's basketball. There are those who work to grow the game and there are those who only are concerned about what benefits them, their career and their bank account. Too many ADs and coaches fall into that second category.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I guess that would mean about 29,000 empty seats. Impressive.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Partying already, are we Gus? Your math is worse than mine, but here's a photo of the Syracuse/ASU tip-off today.
Yes, I was off. Should've said 32,500.

From Wikipedia:

The Carrier Dome is the largest domed stadium of any college campus, and the largest domed stadium in the Northeastern United States. Also, it is the largest on-campus basketball arena in the nation, with a listed capacity of 33,000; however, this limit has been exceeded several times.[5]

Reaction Score

I get the hatred for Q and the hurt about the Stewie non-homecoming and some bad stuff about Cuse in the past and the ACC crap, but this just sounds petty and whiny. What do ACC fans like the Dukies think when they see vindictive threads like this? My own feeling is obvious: UConn should be better than that stuff, but if that feeling is out of place, give me another ban.

Relative to what has been posted by you and others on the BY from time to time, this was an innocuous thread, even if you disagree with it or don't appreciate the irony (unless, of course, you're a Syracuse grad). But there is no "hatred."

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Old time Big East fans remember when Syracuse hired Keith Cieplecki (sp>) away from a very successful stint at UVM in an effort to turn the Syracuse program around. His short stint at Syracuse ended after three losing seasons and the school hired Hilsman. It looks like the AD has decided that turning their WCBB program around is no longer a priority so Hilsman hangs on.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Relative to what has been posted by you and others on the BY from time to time, this was an innocuous thread, even if you disagree with it or don't appreciate the irony (unless, of course, you're a Syracuse grad). But there is no "hatred."
Nah, though I am now from NY and have had a lot of rhubarbs with Orange fans over real stuff. I guess you can roll in the innocousnicity of it all and likely I could be called out for being classless about some UTenn stuff in the past, but maybe I'm just too dense too see why laughing at a group of WCBB athletes for having to play in a humongous dome is so wonderful. Maybe it's just that it's a long time till the Huskies' next game and fans need ways to waste their time.

In the meantime, I'll check out the seating capacities for all the other arenas that women's teams have to play at, and I'm sure we'll be able to start 100 more threads on the BY ridiculing a lot of other teams.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I think it's just a tit for tit thing because Hilsman turned down a homecoming game for Stewart. I don't think anyone aimed the piss poor attendance comments at the players. It was all about Hilsman.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Even when the Gamecocks were awful we never had crowds that small. Hillsman could take some "Cuse" (pun intended) from Dawn Staley regarding how to grow support in the community.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Okay, not as rip-snortingly funny as Cuse, but here's just a few of the other WCBB teams we can have some fun on as soon as we post some classy pics of their empty arenas in their last games: BYU with pathetic 1,183 fans in 20,900 arena, Utah with measly 805 fans in 15,000 arena, Ohio with poor 796 fans in 14,000 arena, Illinois with mediocre 1557 fans in 16, 618 arena, and Arkansas with ouch 1348 in 23,500 arena. Let's get'em.

And vtcwbuff, we have had many discussions about attendance and how posting empty-arena pics or harping on bad attendance figures doesn't really help the game. If the idea is to twit Q, sure, but why is it considered so wonderfully ironic to highlight the naked seats at Carrier? Personally, I never understood why anyone got their jollies out of exposing HCC figures either, or maybe attributing it to racist fans, but to each their own. No one particularly likes Q here, but I'm sure the one or two Orange WCBB fan posters could have a lot of perverse fun with the stuff above. When you're the fan of a winning team, act like it.

Long ago they practically had to drag students in to watch a UConn game and get the attendance up into double figures, and ten years ago South Carolina was playing to less than 1500 crowds in a 90+% empty arena. We've all been there.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Personally, I never understood why anyone got their jollies out of exposing HCC figures either, or maybe attributing it to racist fans, but to each their own"

OK - I put you back on ignore.

JS

Reaction Score
I found the thread amusing. People are just having a little fun with Q and his BS explanation for refusing a homecoming game for Stewie -- i.e. "scheduling" (the door-buster with Coppin State) wouldn't permit.

No need, IMO, to escalate into a major, quixotic lecture on fan attitudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom