What a beautiful box score

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/boxscore?gameId=400503764

These are things you dream about:

• Firstly, UCOnn outscores Baylor in both halves. I hear that's a pretty good predictor of winning the game.
  • Tremendous distribution of scoring, with four kids in double-figures
  • MoJeff: 13 pts, 6 boards, five assists, and four steals. When you win the steals battle 8-5, those steals matter a lot.
  • Breanna doesn't have a vintage game, but 18 and 11 is something you take all the time.
  • Bria- imperfect, but yep...still the bomb.
  • Stef: six TOs is ugly, but you take 10-7-3.
  • UConn wins the blocks battle seven to one, and Kiah's four blocks contribute mightily to that.
  • Sims with only 20 points. If you told me Sims would get "only" 20, I would have told you UCOnn would win.
All told, there's a lot you want to see. Gotta be happy about tonight. Gotta be.

Reaction Score

• [ ]Firstly, UCOnn outscores Baylor in both halves. I hear that's a pretty good predictor of winning the game.
    [ ]Tremendous distribution of scoring, with four kids in double-figures
    [ ]MoJeff: 13 pts, 6 boards, five assists, and four steals. When you win the steals battle 8-5, those steals matter a lot.
    [ ]Breanna doesn't have a vintage game, but 18 and 11 is something you take all the time.
    [ ]Bria- imperfect, but yep...still the bomb.
    [ ]Stef: six TOs is ugly, but you take 10-7-3.
    [ ]UConn wins the blocks battle seven to one, and Kiah's four blocks contribute mightily to that.
    [ ]Sims with only 20 points. If you told me Sims would get "only" 20, I would have told you UCOnn would win.
All told, there's a lot you want to see. Gotta be happy about tonight. Gotta be.
If you told me Sims would get "only" 20, I would have said UConn wins by at least 30. The crazy thing is Sims has had several 40+ pt games this season, at least that's what they said during the game, so she's basically had as many 40 pt games this year as UConn has had in the Geno Auriemma era.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The box score may be more attractive than the game, but it's not Bo Derek. :)

I like the FT shooting. The 2 misses came late, when the game was decided.

I like the blocks. Kiah is such a great defender.

I like MoJet's ZERO turnovers, but not her teammates' 15.

I like Baylor's 31% shooting, but not our 37%.

I don't like rebounding of 41-41. Baylor had more energy in the second half, especially Davis.

Some good things, some things to work on. But we beat a team that is highly ranked and had not lost at home in 2-1/2 years. By 11.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
20 points for Sims but 21 missed shots. More than half the team's missed shots. If Mulkey is smart (and I really don't know the answer) She will prepare two video summaries of the game. The section in the first half and the last few minutes when Sim decided the way to win the game was jack up the ball, hope to get fouled and make a few free throws. That team was outscored by 20. Then a long stretch in the second half when Sims decided the right thing to do was draw two defenders to her, and dump it to an open player for an easy basket. That team outscored UConn by about ten.

The thing that is amazing to me is that Baylor figured out how to win the game and then decided, nyaah, let's go back to what didn't work.

I hope someone with more basketball analysis skill (UConncat?) will tell me that Baylor figured out what to do and we figured out how to counter it which forced Baylor to change, but it sure looked to me like Sims the assister was working.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The box score may be more attractive than the game, but it's not Bo Derek. :)

I don't like rebounding of 41-41. Baylor had more energy in the second half, especially Davis.

Some good things, some things to work on. But we beat a team that is highly ranked and had not lost at home in 2-1/2 years. By 11.

Bo Derek?

Reaction Score

Bo Derek is your example? Women's board showing its age a little bit? Maybe Jim Calhoun was right.

I'm just giving you a hard time.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
On the minus side, Sims became the third opposing player in the last 5 games to post 20 or more points against UConn. On the plus side, those three players have averaged 23 FGAs to get there and sucked up 3/8 of their team's shots. That'll work, for UConn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bo Derek is your example? Women's board showing its age a little bit? Maybe Jim Calhoun was right.

I'm just giving you a hard time.
Well, she was the "10." And there are numbers in the box score.

Ok, those of you under 30, please clue me in. Who are the young hotties? I'll take notes.

Reaction Score
One oddity in the box score, the two benches combined for 2 points (in 47 minutes of PT).

Reaction Score

• [ ]Firstly, UCOnn outscores Baylor in both halves. I hear that's a pretty good predictor of winning the game.
    [ ]Tremendous distribution of scoring, with four kids in double-figures
    [ ]MoJeff: 13 pts, 6 boards, five assists, and four steals. When you win the steals battle 8-5, those steals matter a lot.
    [ ]Breanna doesn't have a vintage game, but 18 and 11 is something you take all the time.
    [ ]Bria- imperfect, but yep...still the bomb.
    [ ]Stef: six TOs is ugly, but you take 10-7-3.
    [ ]UConn wins the blocks battle seven to one, and Kiah's four blocks contribute mightily to that.
    [ ]Sims with only 20 points. If you told me Sims would get "only" 20, I would have told you UCOnn would win.

I was disappointed which means in a way I think Geno has some things to keep pushing with the kids.

1--- The rebounding was not good though possible because so much emphasis placed on Sims so players were out of position. And when Sims misses - she misses awful sometimes.

2--- I don't like how coach feels like he has to have either Steph or Stewie on the court in the 1st half when they are in foul trouble.

3--- I don't like how Banks saw so little time. And KML was rewarded with quite a bit of time.

4--- I thought KML was terrible. I thought Steph was bad. These are 1st team caliber a/a's. KML no reason why she couldn't impact the game more.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There were numerous very long rebounds in the game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I hope someone with more basketball analysis skill (UConncat?) will tell me that Baylor figured out what to do and we figured out how to counter it which forced Baylor to change, but it sure looked to me like Sims the assister was working.

I have to re-watch the 2nd half to figure out why Sims stopped penetrating and dishing. Part of me thinks she just doesn't trust her teammates enough and thinks the best offense is to shoot it. UConn sure forced her into some terrible shots. I've never seen Sims play so poorly.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't know why anyone would be mystified as to why Brianna Banks was benched after making two bad mistakes on one defensive play: (a) going under the screen unnecessarily to leave Odyssey Sims open for 3; and (b) compounding the mistake by fouling her on the shot, giving her 3 free throws. I don't think BB saw the court after those blunders, and I hope she got the message that was clearly intended.

I don't agree at all that Stef or KML were "terrible". In her healthiest days, KML was never a great (certainly not a quick) defender -- don't understand why people should expect that of her. I think her rebounding in traffic this year, including tonight, has been one of her consistent strengths. Stef had more fouls and turnovers than she should have, but her points and rebounds were very good, as was her defense (apart from the fouls).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, UCONN made Sims play quite poorly. MoJet literally was standing 12" from her at times when Sims didn't have the ball. Deny, deny, deny.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I was surprised that Stef finished with 6 shots and only 2 FTs. I'd have to re-watch to say if it was the defense or something else.

Well, she was the "10." And there are numbers in the box score.

Ok, those of you under 30, please clue me in. Who are the young hotties? I'll take notes.

You didn't see Avengers? Scarlett Johansson, who played Black Widow (or, you know, the female hero).

Or The Hunger Games/Catching Fire or American Hustle or Silver Linings Playbook? Jennifer Lawrence.

Reaction Score
I thought Baylor played a tremendous game, and that's why we struggled. I thought the plan to handle Sims, and it's execution was fantastic. If it wasn't for those unfortunate 3-shot-fouls Sims would have had 6 fewer points. We didn't collapse down the stretch and that bodes well for the future. Congratulations to Kim Mulkey and her players for a great attempt to defeat the best team in the land. Congratulations to Geno for coming up with a winning plan and to the players for executing it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One simply needs to look at XML in the first games of the season and then now to see she has added weight.

Last edited:

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
The stats that jump out to me are that KML & Stewart combined shot about 27% - hardly a beautiful exhibition

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One simply needs to look at XML in the first games of,the season and then now to see she has added weight.
Ice
I hate the euphemism "conditioning" when it is substituted for weight gain.
But I was fearful of making the obvious observation; thank you for bringing it out of the closet.

Reaction Score
I don't know why anyone would be mystified as to why Brianna Banks was benched after making two bad mistakes on one defensive play: (a) going under the screen unnecessarily to leave Odyssey Sims open for 3; and (b) compounding the mistake by fouling her on the shot, giving her 3 free throws. I don't think BB saw the court after those blunders, and I hope she got the message that was clearly intended.

I don't agree at all that Stef or KML were "terrible". In her healthiest days, KML was never a great (certainly not a quick) defender -- don't understand why people should expect that of her. I think her rebounding in traffic this year, including tonight, has been one of her consistent strengths. Stef had more fouls and turnovers than she should have, but her points and rebounds were very good, as was her defense (apart from the fouls).

I don't agree at all.

1--- Brianna Banks blundered but you can see we were dog tired at the end and Banks has played very well this season. To lose patience this year with a player that has performed very well this year after 2 minutes without letting her return is over-the-top imo. Her play this year warranted a further opportuntity.

2--- KML's defense is not the issue. Her offense was terrible/ defensive rebounding has nothing to do with it. She was being guarded by "what" tonight in the 2nd half? This is supposedly a 1st team all-american -a player thought of to be an among the top 10 all-time great players in UCONN History in which some posters have referred to as "transcendant." In the 2nd half was being guarded by "what?" As Doris Burke said our all-amercian was nothing more offensively than a spot up jump shooter. I love KML. She can be so much more. While Stewie is missing too she gave rebounds, and assists. KML gave 4 rebounds, not that hot, but what else from a player we all should project to be among the nation's best? She produced zero assists. She is allowing herself to be nothing more than a jump shooter vs. an inferior player in this game in the 2nd half. Hey it happens. But it shouldn't be "acceptable" for the coach.

3--- Dolson played bad imo - better than KML but bad. She rebounded subpar. Stokes in 15 minutes got nearly the same rebound total as Dolson did in 32. As for her point total 10 points is not bad but its not good for her. Ten points can be fine if you have more assists. But 3 assists vs 6 turnovers is terrible. So she is what I feel the best center in the game. Her rebounding was subpar. Her pasing was awful. And her scoring was average at best. For a 1stteam all-american best center in the game hardly going against an opposing elite center, this is a bad game imo.

Bad games happen its okay. And its okay to be disappointed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak