What’s your solution? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What’s your solution?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Te only viable solution is to set a deadline to 2024 for any shakeup in college football (they all say it's coming). Dropping down to MAC level is practically like dropping to 1AA. UBuffalo -- UMass -- UConn. That's the level.

This.

Going independent or dropping to the MAC ends things for all times.

And if this shakeup leaves UConn on the wrong side of the dotted line?

Is there any case for any expectation that they won’t be on the wrong side. It seems less likely now than at any point since Toni Terzi let us know about Ville.

There is one out. As a 16th to the ACC with Notre Dame. That makes Lotto look easy.

What’s the next best solution? The American grabs a couple of Big 12 lost souls?

Reaction Score
It really is unbelievable. If we were doing as well as Cincy has the last few years, this board would probably like the AAC as an up and comer. Instead it’s used as a scapegoat, when in reality, it’s the coach digging the basketball program into a hole.

But--when it comes to conference movement and viability, Cincy football is tanking. Big time. They are struggling now.

Also, Cronin needs to put kids in the NBA. This act of his is going to start wearing thing if his recruiting haul doesn't hit paydirt in this conference.

Despite people saying this league is improving, look at the recruiting. It is suffering. The future doesn't look so rosy for the conference.

Right now there's an upswing in play because of WSU's addition. But--they look a little bit like a paper tiger to me, which would be in keeping with all the teams who never made it out of the first weekend since 2014 (SMU, Cincy, UConn, Tulsa, etc.).

Reaction Score
And if this shakeup leaves UConn on the wrong side of the dotted line?

Is there any case for any expectation that they won’t be on the wrong side. It seems less likely now than at any point since Toni Terzi let us know about Ville.

There is one out. As a 16th to the ACC with Notre Dame. That makes Lotto look easy.

What’s the next best solution? The American grabs a couple of Big 12 lost souls?

The most probable outcome of a shakeup is that the B12 invites a bunch of schools, not the other way around.

Who gets left out? West Virginia, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas St., Iowa St. Possibly Kansas and Oklahoma State. They'll be adding either 4 or 6. There's no way to tell if these schools would have any interest whatsoever in UConn. You can bet UCF and probably USF would find landing spots. Who else? Cincy? UConn? Houston? Memphis?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Te only viable solution is to set a deadline to 2024 for any shakeup in college football (they all say it's coming). Dropping down to MAC level is practically like dropping to 1AA. UBuffalo -- UMass -- UConn. That's the level.
I'm starting to think those are our peers. Better schools and closer than the AAC. I agree that the conference is perfectly fine to wait things out if we were putting out a competitive product.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The most probable outcome of a shakeup is that the B12 invites a bunch of schools, not the other way around.

Who gets left out? West Virginia, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas St., Iowa St. Possibly Kansas and Oklahoma State. They'll be adding either 4 or 6. There's no way to tell if these schools would have any interest whatsoever in UConn. You can bet UCF and probably USF would find landing spots. Who else? Cincy? UConn? Houston? Memphis?

You just made the case that things could actually be worse in 2024. Ouch.

Reaction Score
You just made the case that things could actually be worse in 2024. Ouch.

You don't think it's a possibility that Texas and Oklahoma leave, and the other schools left behind don't want us?

Reaction Score
I'm starting to think those are our peers. Better schools and closer than the AAC. I agree that the conference is perfectly fine to wait things out if we were putting out a competitive product.

Those schools will never have a chance to get to the P5. They should also consider dropping football to a lower division, or dropping it all together. It is an albatross for them. Furthermore, they've never had the success that UConn did pre-Pasqualoni.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You don't think it's a possibility that Texas and Oklahoma leave, and the other schools left behind don't want us?

I think it’s a very distinct possibility. More likely than not if the situation arises.

Reaction Score
But--when it comes to conference movement and viability, Cincy football is tanking. Big time. They are struggling now.

Also, Cronin needs to put kids in the NBA. This act of his is going to start wearing thing if his recruiting haul doesn't hit paydirt in this conference.

Despite people saying this league is improving, look at the recruiting. It is suffering. The future doesn't look so rosy for the conference.

Right now there's an upswing in play because of WSU's addition. But--they look a little bit like a paper tiger to me, which would be in keeping with all the teams who never made it out of the first weekend since 2014 (SMU, Cincy, UConn, Tulsa, etc.).
Cincy football is struggling due to good coaches being picked off over time resulting in a bad coaching hire in Tommy Tuberville. As we know at UConn, it's hard to recover from a bad coaching hire.

This is the risk in the AAC. The good coaches get picked off and its hard to keep picking good coaches.

Reaction Score
I think it’s a very distinct possibility. More likely than not if the situation arises.

I don't agree with more likely than not. I see them getting in by default. If the conference needs 6 schools, UConn is in. If it needs 4, then it's 50/50.

Ironically, though we'd love to be in a basketball conference with Kansas, it may be better for UConn if Kansas went to the B1G.

Reaction Score
Why would the NBE take us? They left us to form their own catholic league; a league that frankly doesn’t need UConn in its current state. We simply are not very desirable right now, with no indications of improving any time soon with the current regime. KO has to go, bring in a new coach, win an AAC regular season and make some noise in March again, and maybe they’ll listen.

And as far as relegating ourselves to the MAC, what’s the next step after that? As far as upward mobility to where we all believe we belong, we’re waiting outside the club with a ride waiting on one of the last girls out. Right now we are standing there with a Corolla. Going to the MAC will be trading the Corolla in for a Vespa. Unless you’re talking about us biding our time (making how much money in said conference in the meanwhile, by the way?) waiting for an imaginary event that is so far off the horizon you can’t even name the red flags for its onset yet.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't agree with more likely than not. I see them getting in by default. If the conference needs 6 schools, UConn is in. If it needs 4, then it's 50/50.

Ironically, though we'd love to be in a basketball conference with Kansas, it may be better for UConn if Kansas went to the B1G.

If there are only 4 Big 12 dregs left - that’s why I said the AAC would add them rather the other way around.

Probably impossible to predict since we have no idea about the television contracts and what set of moves would give the league the most leverage.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Those schools will never have a chance to get to the P5. They should also consider dropping football to a lower division, or dropping it all together. It is an albatross for them. Furthermore, they've never had the success that UConn did pre-Pasqualoni.
The circumstances that existed pre-Pasqaloni are gone forever.

Reaction Score
The athletic department is burning like a wildfire around us.

I guess you can do nothing and hope it fixes itself but that generally doesn’t work.
It's all about the head coaching hires. They got lucky or good with Geno, Jim, Randy 1.0, the hockey coach and baseball coach. They've gone full retard with P, Diaco and his buyout, and Ollies buyout.

I'd stay here. People hate this league, and football attendance has nosedived, but Bowling Green on Tuesday night, you'll be lucky if you get 5k.

Honestly if the MAC is the answer, just go ahead and kill the thing.

Reaction Score
The circumstances that existed pre-Pasqaloni are gone forever.

D'Oh? Why? The BE always got the the remainders of the bigger conferences, it was always 6th in recruiting.

This conference is actually better than the BE in football.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
D'D'Oh? Why? The BE always got the the remainders of the bigger conferences, it was always 6th in recruiting.

BCS then, outside the P5 now.

Reaction Score
D'D'Oh? Why? The BE always got the the remainders of the bigger conferences, it was always 6th in recruiting.

Because an undefeated BE team would have a legitimate shot to win a NC. There is no access to the top in the AAC and the ones at the top want it that way so really what are we doing here?

Reaction Score
Because an undefeated BE team would have a legitimate shot to win a NC. There is no access to the top in the AAC and the ones at the top want it that way so really what are we doing here?
Not sure why some are having such a tough time understanding this.

Reaction Score
Not sure why some are having such a tough time understanding this.
Didn't think people needed this spelled out. WVU, was one Pitt upset away from playing for the national title in 07, when we were co champs with them.

Reaction Score
Win the AAC in every aspect...

That’s the only solution until football expands the playoff and gives automatic bids to conference winners. ND will be pissed and join the ACC.

If we show we are a dominant program they might select us.

.... just my train of thought

Reaction Score
If UCONN drops football UMASS should join the AAC, they can play their home games at the RENT.

I'd like to see the AAC add UMASS and VCU as basketball only members and in time overtake the Big East in basketball. The AAC total RPI year over year has improved significantly since the league started even as UCONN sinks to the bottom.

If UCONN, Temple, and Memphis would just get their act together...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we're going to know in 5 years one way or the other what our future is - Big East or a P5 invite.

The Big 10 deal expires after the 2022-2023 season with the Big 12 a year after that I believe. If the B1G does nothing regarding expansion and there is no musical chairs game then we're dust...unless ND magically joins the ACC and they're looking for #16...but no one is holding their breath on that. I'm not counting on Aresco doing anything substantive with the upcoming TV deal.

Edsall has five years to get this football program back to being "Quality" not necessarily AAC champions...and the basketball program has to get it's head out of its ass...with or without Ollie.

But I think we will be looking for five more years of patience..which probably sucks for a lot of people looking for a quick answer (aren't we all?).

Reaction Score
If UCONN drops football UMASS should join the AAC, they can play their home games at the RENT.

I'd like to see the AAC add UMASS and VCU as basketball only members and in time overtake the Big East in basketball. The AAC total RPI year over year has improved significantly since the league started even as UCONN sinks to the bottom.
I like the idea of adding 3 more basketball schools to make it 15. Maybe try and get some A-10 teams to switch over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom