What’s on your Turkey Day menu? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What’s on your Turkey Day menu?

Reaction Score
We have had the same menu for 35 years....our boy demanded it, and now at 39, he still requests this simple southern Thanksgiving.

...Mom's brown, always moist turkey (cooked in bag)
...giblet gravy with slices of boiled egg
...cornbread/oyster dressing (I fry the leftover oysters and am the only partaker)
...dad's squash and onions cooked in lots of butter with bacon to flavor (family name of squishy squash)
...collard greens with salt pork seasoning
...mashed potatoes (because he required it as kid)
...green beans
...sweet potato casserole
...cranberry sauce (heresy..jellied..but he is our boy)
...pecan pie (mom's recipe)

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
We nailed the turkey this year. Pretty much just finished it of with turkey tetrazzini last night. I do alright in the kitchen but my partner is an excellent cook. It's weird, i still get a bittersweet feeling when the turkey is done.
Making tetrazzini tomorrow night, which I've never made before. Looked at a few recipes, including a NYT recipe that had a ton of cream cheese and other cheese. Won't do that. Will probably go with Cook's Illustrated recipe slightly modified unless anyone has recs.

Reaction Score
We have had the same menu for 35 years....our boy demanded it, and now at 39, he still requests this simple southern Thanksgiving.

...Mom's brown, always moist turkey (cooked in bag)
...giblet gravy with slices of boiled egg
...cornbread/oyster dressing (I fry the leftover oysters and am the only partaker)
...dad's squash and onions cooked in lots of butter with bacon to flavor (family name of squishy squash)
...collard greens with salt pork seasoning
...mashed potatoes (because he required it as kid)
...green beans
...sweet potato casserole
...cranberry sauce (heresy..jellied..but he is our boy)
...pecan pie (mom's recipe)
Love this entire menu. Anytime you have an empty seat, I'll bring the vino.

Reaction Score
Making tetrazzini tomorrow night, which I've never made before. Looked at a few recipes, including a NYT recipe that had a ton of cream cheese and other cheese. Won't do that. Will probably go with Cook's Illustrated recipe slightly modified unless anyone has recs.
I love the tetrazzini my Mom made. I try and try and can't get it there and she never left a recipe. I liked that the top was on the crunchy side. Hope you enjoyed yours.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I love the tetrazzini my Mom made. I try and try and can't get it there and she never left a recipe. I liked that the top was on the crunchy side. Hope you enjoyed yours.
Making it tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thanks, yes. Crunchy top and all!

This version had little cheese, just some parm on the top. She also added sherry somewhere in the process.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Last few times I've had turkey leftovers, I made turkey chilaquiles. I win.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Went with a modified version of Cook's Illustrated tetrazzini recipe. I saw comments about it being dry and a little bland so added garlic and shallots to the mushroom mix, a little cayenne and added some heavy cream and a dollop of sour cream for a little more moisture. And the leftovers were from a smoked turkey, which probably helped. I thought it turned out well, wife and daughter loved it.

The mistake was going into it thinking it was just throwing some leftovers together, so an easy weeknight thing. It's actually fairly time consuming.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom