Whaley | The Boneyard

Whaley

Reaction Score
It's just an exhibition against a terrible team but Whaley looked like LaMarcus Aldridge tonight (can't believe I just said that.)
He seriously did look completely different and was our best player tonight. The idea that Whaley would ever be our best player in the past even against a Y team would have been absurd. I honestly don't know what to make of it, he had two pretty eye opening stretches tonight and his body is different now.

Seems like a combo of a really good big man coach and Whaley locking himself in the gym.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Anyone know what his stat line was? Do they publish the box for exhibition games?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Whaley did not get an opportunity last year for some very bizarre reason. I was watching the bigs warm up before the Arizona game and Whaley was by far our most quick and athletic big. I had told my friends at that point Whaley should play a lot more. To Hurley's credit, he has admitted he should've given Whaley more of an opportunity but I have no idea what he could've been thinking while we were getting destroyed in the paint and our bigs were getting dominated.

Reaction Score
Whoever that Coach N guy was who posts here was promoting Whaley also last year. Most of us thought he was nuts!

Reaction Score
Have always liked Whaley but I was shocked at the way he was confidentially knocking down jumpers at the end of the game. He shot the lights out at the open practice too.

Also, he looks like a man now. Way bigger, way more confident.

Hope it translates against real competition.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
If this holds up against tougher competition - admittedly maybe a big if - there are a ton of Boneyarders who will need to offer mea culpas for giving up on him last season, especially wishing he would transfer at the end of the year. Kudos to @superjohn for stepping up first.

I think (and have all along) that Whaley has tremendous potential to be a huge contributor to the team. Long, athletic, good timing, good hands, goes after boards, and he always had that shooting touch, just needed more consistent mechanics. He needed a coach who believes in him and encourages him, and to develop his body and skills. Looks like he has that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's just an exhibition against a terrible team but Whaley looked like LaMarcus Aldridge tonight (can't believe I just said that.)
He seriously did look completely different and was our best player tonight. The idea that Whaley would ever be our best player in the past even against a Y team would have been absurd. I honestly don't know what to make of it, he had two pretty eye opening stretches tonight and his body is different now.

Seems like a combo of a really good big man coach and Whaley locking himself in the gym.

He always had hops and could board and block shots. He had no real offense and couldn't hold ground against stronger, heavier power forwards. So he was a liability on offense and defense against some opponents.

We all saw how active he was in the AAC tournament last year and I think Hurley saw some clay he could mold. Now 25 pounds of muscle heavier, with some obvious work on a short jump shot, he should no longer be a liability on D, and can add some points. I wouldn't expect double figures like this though. I think he'll rotate behind Carlton and next to him at times. I expect Akok, Polley and Whaley to get minutes at the 4 with Springs redshirting.

Reaction Score
He always had hops and could board and block shots. He had no real offense and couldn't hold ground against stronger, heavier power forwards. So he was a liability on offense and defense against some opponents.

We all saw how active he was in the AAC tournament last year and I think Hurley saw some clay he could mold. Now 25 pounds of muscle heavier, with some obvious work on a short jump shot, he should no longer be a liability on D, and can add some points. I wouldn't expect double figures like this though. I think he'll rotate behind Carlton and next to him at times. I expect Akok, Polley and Whaley to get minutes at the 4 with Springs redshirting.
Hurley said last night Sid will see more time at the 4 with Springs redshirting. I think they will only play Polley at the 4 out of necessity or against really small teams.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hurley said last night Sid will see more time at the 4 with Springs redshirting. I think they will only play Polley at the 4 out of necessity or against really small teams.

I don't get that really. Polley is a better 4 than Sid and Sid is a better 3 than Polley. Hurley must be wanting to ensure that his SF can shoot 3's. Defensively however, Polley is bigger and stronger, and better equipped to defend 4's. Sid is much quicker and can cause havoc blocking shots of 3 point shooters.

Reaction Score
Aside from the mechanics I thought Whaley lacked confidence the past two years. Yes, he's bigger now and his mechanics have improved but I think it is his confidence that has made the most growth and the biggest difference. Wow! I was giddy in seeing his performance. If this continues he can be a difference maker.

Reaction Score

Totally agree it was a shock seeing him shoot and make his jump shots. Also 5 blocked shots? Amazing

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Whaley did not get an opportunity last year for some very bizarre reason. I was watching the bigs warm up before the Arizona game and Whaley was by far our most quick and athletic big. I had told my friends at that point Whaley should play a lot more. To Hurley's credit, he has admitted he should've given Whaley more of an opportunity but I have no idea what he could've been thinking while we were getting destroyed in the paint and our bigs were getting dominated.

Because he had absolutely no clue what he was doing nor where to be on both sides of the court. He got some boards on athleticism.

He was raw , and had received very little coaching prior to last year.

I'll reserve judgment on him until we see him against a non rec league team. This level of opponents have notoriously crappy front courts.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I loved what Whaley did in this game but I’m uncertain if it will translate against better front courts. No matter how things play out the kid’s game has significantly improved.

For those confused why IW did not play a lot last season Hurley all but explained in an interview following the secret scrimmage that he had a conversation with Whaley at the end of last season telling him he needed to work harder with S&C and practice in the gym. Otherwise he should transfer if he wanted more playing time.

He was kept out for failure to apply himself to Hurley’s standards. I’m on board with this approach. He’s not willing to sacrifice long term success for short term gains.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I don't get that really. Polley is a better 4 than Sid and Sid is a better 3 than Polley. Hurley must be wanting to ensure that his SF can shoot 3's. Defensively however, Polley is bigger and stronger, and better equipped to defend 4's. Sid is much quicker and can cause havoc blocking shots of 3 point shooters.
Polley can’t rebound. Sid at least has attacks the glass

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If Whaley can be that Horace Grant ft line jumper guy, it’s gonna be huge for Carlton and for the defense (because playing Whaley and Carlton together could be our best defensive tandem)

Reaction Score

Ehh, Polley can't really defend to begin with. And we know he can't rebound. Sid does both of those much better. Also, I feel like the 3s and 4s are very interchangeable so it's not really that big of a deal (unless we go with a 3 guard lineup of course). Semantics to define them as a 3 or a 4 at the end of the day (Ollie's positionless basketball is back!)

Reaction Score
This is why we brought DH in, the man can develop his players. Lot of credit to Whaley to for the big improvement.

Reaction Score
Because he had absolutely no clue what he was doing nor where to be on both sides of the court. He got some boards on athleticism.

He was raw , and had received very little coaching prior to last year.

I'll reserve judgment on him until we see him against a non rec league team. This level of opponents have notoriously crappy front courts.

Hurley has even admitted numerous times he should've played him more. He finally got a shot in the conference tourney and played well.

Reaction Score
If this holds up against tougher competition - admittedly maybe a big if - there are a ton of Boneyarders who will need to offer mea culpas for giving up on him last season, especially wishing he would transfer at the end of the year. Kudos to @superjohn for stepping up first.

I think (and have all along) that Whaley has tremendous potential to be a huge contributor to the team. Long, athletic, good timing, good hands, goes after boards, and he always had that shooting touch, just needed more consistent mechanics. He needed a coach who believes in him and encourages him, and to develop his body and skills. Looks like he has that.
He never really had any touch because his shot put mechanics before this year were horrendous He could never make a shot outside of 6 feet as he basically scored on layups and dunks. He has really worked on this but let's see it if holds up against stiffer competition where he will have to speed up his mechanics to get off his shot consistently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom