Whaley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whaley

Reaction Score
Ehh, Polley can't really defend to begin with. And we know he can't rebound. Sid does both of those much better. Also, I feel like the 3s and 4s are very interchangeable so it's not really that big of a deal (unless we go with a 3 guard lineup of course). Semantics to define them as a 3 or a 4 at the end of the day (Ollie's positionless basketball is back!)

Yeah! Positionless basketball sucks! Boo! Complaining about KO for some unnecessary reason!

Reaction Score
I loved what Whaley did in this game but I’m uncertain if it will translate against better front courts. No matter how things play out the kid’s game has significantly improved.

For those confused why IW did not play a lot last season Hurley all but explained in an interview following the secret scrimmage that he had a conversation with Whaley at the end of last season telling him he needed to work harder with S&C and practice in the gym. Otherwise he should transfer if he wanted more playing time.

He was kept out for failure to apply himself to Hurley’s standards. I’m on board with this approach. He’s not willing to sacrifice long term success for short term gains.

Hurley admitted he should've played him last year. He finally gave Whaley a shot in the conference tourney and he showed he could've helped us all year. There's really no excuse we got absolutely dominated down low. On the much more positive side, I'm glad Hurley had the conversation he did with Whaley because it looks like it's paying major dividends.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He never really had any touch because his shot put mechanics before this year were horrendous He could never make a shot outside of 6 feet as he basically scored on layups and dunks. He has really worked on this but let's see it if holds up against stiffer competition where he will have to speed up his mechanics to get off his shot consistently.

Not for nothing, but we really don't want any of our bigs shooting, unless it's a 3 or inside 6ft or so. That's just analystics.

Though In practice, it's good to have a big who can hit the elbow jumper as a zone buster.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ehh, Polley can't really defend to begin with. And we know he can't rebound. Sid does both of those much better. Also, I feel like the 3s and 4s are very interchangeable so it's not really that big of a deal (unless we go with a 3 guard lineup of course). Semantics to define them as a 3 or a 4 at the end of the day (Ollie's positionless basketball is back!)

Polley was a very effective defender against some guys last year and has gotten stronger. Sid has no bulk at all. Can't imagine him even slowing down a guy like Yetna. Against other teams, I think he'd be strong enough and shot blocking would be a weapon.

So I do expect Hurley to rotate and move guys around fluidly to match up to the opposition and create offensive mismatches. The Celtics are playing a 6'7" guy (he is very strong) at center lately so, clearly a college team can play something close to positionless basketball.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So I do expect Hurley to rotate and move guys around fluidly to match up to the opposition and create offensive mismatches. The Celtics are playing a 6'7" guy (he is very strong) at center lately so, clearly a college team can play something close to positionless basketball.

You gotta admit, those guys are rare tho. Draymond-like. You've got to be very athletic, very strong, and very hardnosed. They are also usually very good at a number of skills. we have no one like that.

Agree that Hurley will play the matchup game this year. He's got no choice really, as almost all of our options are limited in some form or fashion.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
He never really had any touch because his shot put mechanics before this year were horrendous He could never make a shot outside of 6 feet as he basically scored on layups and dunks.
I disagree. He didn't shoot a lot last year - heck he hardly ever played. But freshman year, even though most of his buckets were putbacks and dunks, when he got a couple of 10-12 footers he showed a jumpshot with reasonable form and his shots were on target, even using glass on a couple of wing jumpers I remember.
Not for nothing, but we really don't want any of our bigs shooting, unless it's a 3 or inside 6ft or so. That's just analystics.
I disagree. We want our bigs capable of shooting from 10-15 feet. Why? It makes the team harder to defend, draws the opposing bigs out of the lane, and opens driving opportunities for the guards.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I disagree. We want our bigs capable of shooting from 10-15 feet. Why? It makes the team harder to defend, draws the opposing bigs out of the lane, and opens driving opportunities for the guards.

That's bad basketball in 2019 tho. It's inefficient. And leads to less points.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Anybody else hear the stat announced during the game that Whaley led our team in blocks two years ago? I was like jesus...a 3 star recruit led us in blocks as a freshman. Shows you how far things fell.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Anybody else hear the stat announced during the game that Whaley led our team in blocks two years ago? I was like jesus...a 3 star recruit led us in blocks as a freshman. Shows you how far things fell.
Or, alternatively, it shows you how much potential Whaley had even then if he could continue to develop his body and skillset. Last year was a lost year for him, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
That's bad basketball in 2019 tho. It's inefficient. And leads to less points.
I really only want him taking that shot when he's wide open. Totally agree that it's a bad play if he's defended. That being said, having him show he can hit those wide open shots will force a defender to at least take the shot away and open up down low.

Reaction Score
If Whaley can consistently make them, of course we want him taking those shots.

Reaction Score
Have always liked Whaley but I was shocked at the way he was confidentially knocking down jumpers at the end of the game. He shot the lights out at the open practice too.

Also, he looks like a man now. Way bigger, way more confident.

Hope it translates against real competition.
I hope he's the real deal because we are thin up front and could use all the help we can get.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Still, making those same 7 shots would have been impressive in an empty gym.

This is true. I wasn't meaning to denigrate the kid. He's clearly made improvements. Heck, I was impressed with what he did in the 3pt contest at open practice.

We just don't know how it's going to translate to proper competition yet. But it's good to be wondering, rather lamentably waiting for the same old, same old.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think Hurley was trying to put some confidence into the kid by saying he should have played him more last year - when he did play, he was not effective.

But whatever he’s doing with Whaley, it’s working. I don’t think he has a huge ceiling, but from the looks of him, he’s doing whatever he can to get better. A whole hell of a lot of hard work went into that physical transformation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom