Whaley wins BE DPOY, Polley wins 6MOTY | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whaley wins BE DPOY, Polley wins 6MOTY

Reaction Score
I was so dumb for talking about Polley as 6MOTY though...
I kind of thought it would be him because a lot of the top teams in the big east have absolutely no depth. I respect every single thing that Nova has done but I am always so puzzled by their lack of depth. They pretty much have the starters running everything and that’s it. I just really don’t know who it would be if not for Polley. I saw a few people saying it should be Isaiah Moore from St. john’s but he averaged less than 5 min a game I believe (I did not fact check that).

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Well deserved by both guys.

For Whaley... it's not just about blocks (his timing is incredible). Beyond that, I don't think I've EVER seen a big man hedge so well on the perimeter to disrupt screens or pick-and-roll action. He also occasionally generates steals off of guards. How often do you see big guys pick the pocket of a guard? I can recall Whaley getting one or nearly getting one almost every game. I'm glad that coaches recognized how he impacted the game beyond the stat sheet of his blocked shots.

For Polley... that's awesome. Goes to show how other coaches respect him and have to game-plan for him off the bench. Folks on this board fail to recognize how much attention he attracts when he's running off screens on the perimeter. Even when he's not getting the ball or not getting open looks, he's impacting the game in a big way.

When is COY announced? I expect Hurley to win that as well.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Zay and Tyler. A little shocked Polley won 6th man but I guess that goes to show you how much of a statement he made in those games he went off. Coaches noticed and have game planned for him. The 0-0-0-0-0 games are still hilarious though.
Put some respect on Ty Polley’s name.

#FeedPolley
#DaggerTreyTy

Reaction Score
I kind of thought it would be him because a lot of the top teams in the big east have absolutely no depth. I respect every single thing that Nova has done but I am always so puzzled by their lack of depth. They pretty much have the starters running everything and that’s it. I just really don’t know who it would be if not for Polley. I saw a few people saying it should be Isaiah Moore from St. john’s but he averaged less than 5 min a game I believe (I did not fact check that).
Yeah they buried Moore on the bench last game, but he got mintues for most games and was productive and didn't start for them since the first few games. Similarly Kalkbrenner and Swider are the backup bigs for the 2 best teams and have impressive WS/48 numbers but very little box score impact. Chuck Harris started starting after Thompson's 2nd injury, so that kinda took him out of the running, same with Bile from GTown. Justin Lewis from Marquette had terrible efficiency. I thought maybe 6MOTY was Kunkel's to lose... and he lost it (3/15 from 3 the last 2 games).

Not a great field.

QuickDraw

NCSWIC
Reaction Score
Congrats to Whaley for gutting it out when he was sitting to co-DPOY, goes to show you how dedicated and coachable he is and to Polley for an excellent come back from a serious injury to the sixth man award. Coach Hurley should win COY just based off of what these 2 have done under his short stint but in their first year back in the league he has 4 award winning players (1st team, frosh first team, co-DPOY and Sixth Man award) and a third place finish (1 better than the preseason poll) in what has been a very strange season.
Tournament Championship pending

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Couldn’t be happier for these two. Great to see them getting well deserved recognition. It’s been a crazy ride for the senior class and basically the entire program this year. Regardless of what the rest of of the season brings - it makes me proud to see these guys going out on top. You too Josh!

Reaction Score
Congrats guys.

I kinda like having both a guard and center for DPOYs. It's too often dominated by bigs. (I assume they actually tied or something).

Polley winning shows you how little depth any of the BE teams had this year. Not the best year of talent in the league.
Whaley's versatility on defense is really what sets him apart.

Yes, he's a big who blocks shots around the rim.

But he also holds his own defending 3/4's on the perimeter and has a pretty high number of deflections/steals.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
It would be hard to argue against these awards, though I'm sure fans from other BE schools might try. Whaley shuts down your best frontcourt player, blocks a ton of shots, grabs rebounds, harasses guards on the perimeter picking their pocket frequently, and hustles like crazy. Just having Polley on the floor creates gaps in the D even if he is off that day. If he's on, he can be 15-20 off the bench. Sanogo became a problem for every team 4-5 games ago. And Bouknight is, well, Bouknight.

Reaction Score
I was so dumb for talking about Polley as 6MOTY though...
Dream Jobbed 2.0 ... not all of your takes are so awesome. If your gonna pump yourself up, maybe you can call yourself out for your Feb 10th quote "James Bouknight is not playing again this season these threads are insane. Better chance of Drummond pushing Whaley to the bench".

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Whaley's versatility on defense is really what sets him apart.

Yes, he's a big who blocks shots around the rim.

But he also holds his own defending 3/4's on the perimeter and has a pretty high number of deflections/steals.

This. Whaley is best at the type of defense that only shows up in the opponents FG%. The blocks are nice but he is consistantly forcing opponents to take difficult shots, which is what you want if you can't turn them over.

For all the blocked shots some of the former guys put up, many gave up just as many easy baskets when they went for the block and missed.

Reminds me of Ben Wallace in that way.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Like 70% of the time someone tries to take IW one on one the ball ends up in the second row.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
not gonna lie, I am very confused about Polley winning 6th man. In his few good games, he's been great. In the rest he hasn't been a factor at all. But hey, I'll take it!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Put some respect on Ty Polley’s name.

#FeedPolley
#DaggerTreyTy
yuge. epic. dominating.
400 minutes, 8 assists, 5 blocks, 4 steals. 400 minutes. on the udder hand, i am always happy when any husky gets an accolade, so coolaroni.
now comes the time for awards in the 'season of el-stinko mbb teams,' so im expecting much more of this kind of coda for this kind of reality.
whaley dpoy?
1/27/21:
'as of now, he should be a shoo-in. i mean, people have eyes, don't they?
his hands are faster than lightning.'

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
not gonna lie, I am very confused about Polley winning 6th man. In his few good games, he's been great. In the rest he hasn't been a factor at all. But hey, I'll take it!
Last year, just having Akok on the floor made teams rethink their offense and play differently.

Perhaps, this year the "Polley effect" makes teams rethink their defense and play differently?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Last year, just having Akok on the floor made teams rethink their offense and play differently.

Perhaps, this year the "Polley effect" makes teams rethink their defense and play differently?
Could be! I certainly don't want to sound like I'm trashing him - I just don't see how he's the best player off the bench in the big east. But I'm just some schmuck sitting on my couch.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Could be! I certainly don't want to sound like I'm trashing him - I just don't see how he's the best player off the bench in the big east. But I'm just some schmuck sitting on my couch.
It could be that they think that he ought to be, just like many of us here do. And maybe it'll happen in the coming games. I'd sign up for it.

Reaction Score
He scores 0 points, grabs zero rebounds, gets zero assists, but because of his shooting threat he impacts the game in a positive way.

Think about that. Just having him on the floor creates problems.

yeah my reaction at first was to the news he got 6 man with barely putting anything in the stat sheets.

joe dirt wtf GIF

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom