Whaley needs to shoot more 3's | The Boneyard

Whaley needs to shoot more 3's

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Hope the knee feels better soon
I agree. Especially when he is open? There were/are so many times he is wide open and found myself yelling a the tv for him to shoot. He hesitates and looks to dump off.

Reaction Score
Yeah, he gets one of those completely open looks about once a half, but only averages about one attempt per game.

Reaction Score
Coach obviously doesn’t want him shooting many and the other team lays way off him and begs him to shoot. That’s the reason for the hesitation.

Reaction Score
Absolutely not. One or two max. More long range shooting will lead to his percentage going down and opponents getting long rebounds. He should only shoot from behind the arc as a last resort.

Reaction Score
Coach obviously doesn’t want him shooting many and the other team lays way off him and begs him to shoot. That’s the reason for the hesitation.
i actually think it is the opposite:

"Isaiah was awesome today. I've been begging him to shoot more pick and pops and more three-pointers," Hurley said.

whaley needs to shoot to keep defenses honest, especially when he is playing at the 4. he's a good enough shooter to take wide open, late shot clock looks.

Reaction Score
I will be honest but when Whalley ends up alone on a three pointer, it is probably a shot that the defense wants him to take despite the stats. I feel more comfortable when we drive the lane and hit the boards afterwards. Whalley outside the lane does not help us.

Reaction Score
The lack of nuance in these takes is maddening. All of these things are true:
  • Whaley needs to be a credible threat from beyond the arc, especially when playing the 4, to keep good spacing
  • he should take wide-open attempts from 3 on the pick and pop, kickout action, offensive rebounds, etc.
  • number of attempts is a terrible metric, quality of look is what matters; if he gets 4 open looks, he should take 4 of them; if he gets zero open looks, he should take zero
  • whether the defense "wants" him to shoot it is irrelevant
  • anecdotally, he's better when shooting right away; if he hesitates on the catch and thinks about it, he's better off passing

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Shooting 41% on a small sample size, decent stroke, why not put up a few more? Really adds a new dimension to the offensive side of the ball.

No. He doesn't. He shoots 41% because he only takes them when he's completely wide open and they won't come out to guard him. It's the right approach.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Shooting 41% on a small sample size, decent stroke, why not put up a few more? Really adds a new dimension to the offensive side of the ball.
Scouting other Big East team’s message boards is part of the rehab?

Reaction Score
When he is wide open, and they back off most definitely. He squares up and his shot be looking good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom