Whaley NBA | The Boneyard

Whaley NBA

Reaction Score
Let’s see how he closes out next year in the big east before we start throwing out NBA chatter. Has he exceeded all of our expectations? YES!!!!! But he needs to explode next year. These last few games have been special. Let’s keep it going Pop!

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
30 years ago he'd have a fighting chance. I do see him getting a summer league invite after next season though, should the improvement continue.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
30 years ago he'd have a fighting chance. I do see him getting a summer league invite after next season though, should the improvement continue.
That's along the lines of what I'm thinking. I think he's better than Larrier. (Same size) in my defense someone started a Carlton NBA thread not long ago.

caw

Reaction Score
The way the NBA is going he is stuck in Freeman hell of being undersized for his position and not a good enough shooter. Yes I know he is taller than Freeman and he would probably have a better shot at the NBA if it were 2000 but nowadays he’s an NBA 5 and he would need to show he can make the 3 to make the NBA. Who knows though he could be like Siakam and a super late bloomer.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
It’s the shooting. He has to be able to shoot much better, preferably out to the three point line, if this were to have a chance of happening. His stroke isn’t awful, though, as you can tell from his free-throws.

Reaction Score
Would probably need to become an above average three point shooter to even have a real chance.

Montrezl Harrell for the Clippers is the only real example I can think of, as far as undersized big men who can’t shoot succeeding in today’s NBA. And Whaley is a looooong way from being Montrezl Harrell.

Reaction Score
He would need to improve a lot.

Too small to be an nba big. And not skilled enough for much else.

Reaction Score
Gavin Edwards plays in Japan. Whaley competing at that level would be a nice result for him, I think. Of course he still has another year, so I'm not going to say he won't improve even more, but eh.

Reaction Score
Gavin Edwards plays in Japan. Whaley competing at that level would be a nice result for him, I think. Of course he still has another year, so I'm not going to say he won't improve even more, but eh.

My exact thought today was Hurley should be in Whaley's ear at the end of the year to say keep putting in the work and he could have a good run playing pro ball (internationally) some where if he really loved the sport and envisioned making a career out of it.

Not once did I jump to thinking the NBA was realistic.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He's fired up and becoming confident. Hurley will keep him motivated and Whaley will see in him what others saw in JC; that they can trust him when it comes to bringing out the best in them in basketball as well as character. And those attributes are portable. I can see him playing out a career in Europe or other international places and as long he continues to keep working. There is no telling how well he might do because he has just begun to awaken and he has a lot of athleticism that could be tapped. This is a great story because it transcends basketball and brings hope to everyone about the lessons of life. Hope it motivates other players and recruits on the team. We will need leaders next year as Uconn is reborn into the NBE. You can see that Husky hunger again. He is starting to remind me of Jared Dudley of BC who I used to dread (but actually admired!) when we played them. Relentless energy. Heavy duty motor. Go Isaiah!! We believe in you!

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Jeff Adrien? Undersized volume rebounders and proficient at finishing inside. He had a couple good little cameos in the NBA but Whaley’s size/style combination really has no place of fit in the present day NBA.

The fact that this is even a thread is quite something though. This kid is such a joy to watch I can’t remember someone arising this suddenly and so late in the year.

He’s certainly playing himself into a professional role somewhere.

Reaction Score
While we need to pump the brakes, let’s see what he can do this offseason. Nobody, and I always saw a role for him, saw this coming.

Reaction Score
Let’s see what happens the rest of this year as the competition will get tougher. I’ll tell u this, his improvement has been amazing. Even just how he finishes around the rim(the triple head fakes) his passing, he quick springs, etc. amazing. Softens the damage of losing akok. What a nice surprise. Let’s see what happens against Houston. We re gonna need to win out and have Memphis or smu or whichita st lose their next 2 game to get that enticing 6 seed. Memphis the most logical to lose out

Reaction Score
This one is almost as good as the Carlton NBA thread. If it was 2009 and he made a massive leap next year, maybe he could lock down a Leon Powe or Jason Maxiell type role.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What's the sample size,6 or so games in 3 years of college ball?
True. But Hilton didn’t exactly look like he’d get a sniff until pretty late in his college career. I think Whaley’s area of improvement has to be in shooting out to 15-17 feet. The way he shoots foul shots, it seems doable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom