Whaley NBA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whaley NBA

Reaction Score
I love this story as much as anyone, but let’s pump the brakes.
Pull the e-break I say. Five good games in the AAC against bad teams (Memphis is at best mediocre) and we are talking about Whaley in the NBA. Why do people do this? Don’t he have a seasoned fan base that should know better?

Reaction Score
Pull the e-break I say. Five good games in the AAC against bad teams (Memphis is at best mediocre) and we are talking about Whaley in the NBA. Why do people do this? Don’t he have a seasoned fan base that should know better?
They just do it to aggravate you. When Whaley comes back with an expanded offensive game next year there will be more talk :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What's the sample size,6 or so games in 3 years of college ball?
The thing is nothing in his game right now that isn't repeatable. It's not like he's hitting 60% from 3. He should keep doing what he's doing and continue to build his game organically. He can make that mid-range jumper. Keep practicing it and shoot it with more confidence.

Reaction Score
If he hits the three at about 40% then its possible he could play the 4 .If he had Carlton’s size and strength while retaining his quickness and elevation. Then he could play the 5.
Since he probably isn’t going to grow working on his shot would be a priority.
He really has a very simple offensive strategy and pretty much stays with the things he can do well. He has learned to get the most out of his strengths.

Reaction Score
When it got out last year that Hurley had told Whaley to work hard in the offseason, both in the weight room and on his moves on the court, which would result in more playing time, I thought he was being a bit disingenuous to Isaiah. I mean Isaiah scored only 19 points in 23 games last year, and the path to playing time looked blocked and he frankly didn't look good enough to warrant more minutes.

The transition has been shocking and amazing. And Hurley was true to his word as IW has earned his playing time this year. For as much grief as Sal Alosi has received on the Boneyard for Carlton's regression (being TOO heavy and plodding), Whaley's hops and his quick reactions have made him a talented starter and a strong defensive presence - he has averaged 2.4 blocks in his last 10 games which would place him 24th in the country, even though he's not gotten starter's minutes in all those games. He's become an excellent rebounder as well.

Forget the NBA talk, I just want to revel in Isaiah's play for our Huskies...that's what we should be enjoying.

Reaction Score
The thing is nothing in his game right now that isn't repeatable. It's not like he's hitting 60% from 3. He should keep doing what he's doing and continue to build his game organically. He can make that mid-range jumper. Keep practicing it and shoot it with more confidence.
Lol it very well may not be repeatable against good teams; setting aside NBA caliber players, with whom he can allegedly compete

First step is doing it to Houston

Reaction Score
Guys I have been a leading booster on Whaley Island since at least 2018(look at my post history don't @ me), and his bounciness, defensive prowess, an burgeoning offensive game will make him a lot of money... in europe. He's probably 6'6 or 6'7 at most, is a post player, just not quite the necessary size to play in the post in the NBA.

With that being said, Whaley is King.

Reaction Score
Lol it very well may not be repeatable against good teams; setting aside NBA caliber players, with whom he can allegedly compete

First step is doing it to Houston

let’s see... he had 13pts, 11reb, 4stl vs Houston first time. And he’s only gotten more confident and aggressive since that Jan game.

I’m pretty confident he’ll play well vs them this Thursday.

As far as NBA talk, probably a bit premature, but I’d rather have positive dreamer threads like this versus doom & gloom threads!

8117A2A3-DA67-49A9-A9C1-4F0DD7B44B82.jpeg

Reaction Score
When it got out last year that Hurley had told Whaley to work hard in the offseason, both in the weight room and on his moves on the court, which would result in more playing time, I thought he was being a bit disingenuous to Isaiah. I mean Isaiah scored only 19 points in 23 games last year, and the path to playing time looked blocked and he frankly didn't look good enough to warrant more minutes.

The transition has been shocking and amazing. And Hurley was true to his word as IW has earned his playing time this year. For as much grief as Sal Alosi has received on the Boneyard for Carlton's regression (being TOO heavy and plodding), Whaley's hops and his quick reactions have made him a talented starter and a strong defensive presence - he has averaged 2.4 blocks in his last 10 games which would place him 24th in the country, even though he's not gotten starter's minutes in all those games. He's become an excellent rebounder as well.

Forget the NBA talk, I just want to revel in Isaiah's play for our Huskies...that's what we should be enjoying.
Whaley caught a break when Springs was ineligible and he became the de facto backup 5 . 5 isn’t like other positions especially guards where they’re expected to play 30+ minutes. Even your top 5’s rarely get to that because of fouls and fatigue..
So being the backup guaranteed him a min of 10 minutes a game .
Thst got his foot in the door and the rest is history.
Heck he played thirteen minutes a game as a freshman and had some good defensive moments . For a player with his defensive skills to not play on last years defensive challenged team especially when Yakwe went down., was bizarre but he must have been a screwup in practice. I know he didn’t have a clue offensively and that probably doomed him.

Reaction Score
NO.... not even close and I root for pork chop. The league is only some where around 450+ guys. He’ll have to be in that ranks in the WORLD! Please let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Reaction Score
Watch him come out next year as a knockdown 3 point shooter... I mean Hurley and staff have certainly emphasized to him to improve his shooting. Crazier things have happened

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s the shooting. He has to be able to shoot much better, preferably out to the three point line, if this were to have a chance of happening. His stroke isn’t awful, though, as you can tell from his free-throws.

He's also not a ball handler. NBA bigs need to be either big, dominant forces inside with rim protection abilities (against 7 footers) or they need to be multiskilled athletes who can force those big guys to do things they don't do very well. So yeah, 6'9 is fine if you can shoot the 3, dribble etc.

I do think he's earned a good shot at playing overseas.

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
Would probably need to become an above average three point shooter to even have a real chance.

Montrezl Harrell for the Clippers is the only real example I can think of, as far as undersized big men who can’t shoot succeeding in today’s NBA. And Whaley is a looooong way from being Montrezl Harrell.

So true, but that is the compare... some teams still have 1 on the roster.. His pick n roll defense is a plus and the nba loves guys who can defend the pnr, but offensively.. yeah, put back dunk guy isn't going to cut it at 6'8"..

Reaction Score
Ticket P1?

Reaction Score
I love Whaley, always have from a personal standpoint but was a big time hater on the product on the court........and in Dumb and Dumber fashion he has totally redeemed himself. He is a hardhat worker that has been easily the most fun part of the season. I love the kid AND the game on the court.....saying all of that I think he is scrappy and I will not doubt what he can accomplish INCLUDING the NBA. He could be a defensive gem......Im just glad we get to see him next year and the next year.

Reaction Score
I love Whaley, always have from a personal standpoint but was a big time hater on the product on the court........and in Dumb and Dumber fashion he has totally redeemed himself. He is a hardhat worker that has been easily the most fun part of the season. I love the kid AND the game on the court.....saying all of that I think he is scrappy and I will not doubt what he can accomplish INCLUDING the NBA. He could be a defensive gem......Im just glad we get to see him next year and the next year.

I could be wrong, but isn’t Whaley a Junior? Next year is his last year right?

Reaction Score
Whaley being a thin guy can run all day. That and the fact that when he catches a pass or rebounds he controls the ball. No butterfingers. He passes well and with the next offseason I expect some more progress on his offense. He can get open by being quicker than the D and lately our guards have been finding him. Plus he can make free throws. Real nice to have Isaiah back next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom