Whaley: "[E]verybody wants to win for each other. That’s something I haven’t felt since I’ve been here, really." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whaley: "[E]verybody wants to win for each other. That’s something I haven’t felt since I’ve been here, really."

Reaction Score
I think it's Matt Garry. Coincidence that this winning streak started when his knee was hurt and he didn't suit up?
Obviously in Hurley's doghouse since he was the only one who didn't get off the bench in a blowout.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I doubt Whaley was talking about anyone individually. It could be that last years teams had some egos(in Bouks case rightfully so), but this years team might just have the best chemistry he’s experienced so far.

Btw I’m pretty sure James is still really close with the team. The elbow stuff was a legit concern and he absolutely should’ve gotten multiple opinions before playing again. He was a potential lottery pick at that point.

Reaction Score
Sounds like it’s a culture that has made winning into a habit, aka a winning environment. Whaley was around a losing environment coming in as a freshman, also being a 5th yr sr you have a greater appreciation of the moment.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I really think the development of the team and program shows that most of what a Head Coach does does not happen during games. With talented players who are all in, winning will come.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sounds like it’s a culture that has made winning into a habit, aka a winning environment. Whaley was around a losing environment coming in as a freshman, also being a 5th yr sr you have a greater appreciation of the moment.

It's the culture, the winning and players finally settling in to their roles. And those are all interdependent on each other.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Last year James was the only legit baller on the team. Cole was pretty good and everyone else was still learning their roles and trying to get better. This year we have three capable scorers in Cole, Martin, and Sonogo compared to only James, last year. I think that helps team chemistry. Next year may be even better with Jackson, Cole, Sonogo, and Hawkins being able to be the best player for any given game.

Whaley is obviously a good player but can’t score one on one usually.

Reaction Score
Last year James was the only legit baller on the team. Cole was pretty good and everyone else was still learning their roles and trying to get better. This year we have three capable scorers in Cole, Martin, and Sonogo compared to only James, last year. I think that helps team chemistry. Next year may be even better with Jackson, Cole, Sonogo, and Hawkins being able to be the best player for any given game.

Whaley is obviously a good player but can’t score one on one usually.
Last year's team should have been able to make the S16, but the Bouknight injury really stifled that (and he never was the same after getting hit against Nova).

The time without him last year may have helped Cole/Martin/Sanogo this year, though. I still think the team has a second weekend cap, but I feel a bit more confident about that cap being reached than I did going into the season because of how well the three of them (and Jackson) have progressed.

Reaction Score
The bench is obviously shorter against higher test competition, but games like this are valuable so that the bench can be stretched when needed.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Last year's team should have been able to make the S16, but the Bouknight injury really stifled that (and he never was the same after getting hit against Nova).

The time without him last year may have helped Cole/Martin/Sanogo this year, though. I still think the team has a second weekend cap, but I feel a bit more confident about that cap being reached than I did going into the season because of how well the three of them (and Jackson) have progressed.
Jackson has been very good this year but I think he will make a major improvement going into next year as well. Jackson could put up huge numbers next year compared to being mostly a role player this year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Never trust anyone with two first names.
This is the most significant reason for not being upset that Desmond Claude chose Xavier, or, tbh, that Carlton transferred to Houston.

Corey Floyd and Andre Jackson are both redeemed by being Juniors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom