Whaley at the 3 point line | The Boneyard

Whaley at the 3 point line

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Whaley just living at the 3 point line does nothing for our offense. They sag off him and double on Sanogo every single time. They gotta do something different.
He has no inside game. If we’re making points and the other team is boxing, he isn’t doing anything on offense

Reaction Score
We really need to think about lineup structure.

Having Whaley on the floor with Sanogo makes it extremely easy to sag on him and deny the ball with 2 players. Creighton did it and Xavier did it tonight.

A small lineup with Polley/Jackson/or Martin at the 4 would be much more conducive to being able to play through Sanogo.

Reaction Score
I’m completely over Whaley, and Polley for that matter. Whaley made a few threes earlier in the season but he’s an awful option from deep. I’ve also mentioned playing Jackson at the 4. You simply can’t afford to have Jackson and Whaley on the floor together anymore in a half court game. It’s essentially 3 on 5 at that point.

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to pick one of Whaley and Sanogo in the starting lineup. They can’t co-exist at this point.
Not having a stretch 4 this year is killing us. Basketball has moved beyond two bigs that can't shoot. Better hope Samson Johnson develops before next season or it's going to be rough.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When he hits them he is good when he misses he is bad. Let’s forget all the things he brings to the table. How many did he take today? 2 or 3? Well that sure cost UConnthe game

Reaction Score
When he hits them he is good when he misses he is bad. Let’s forget all the things he brings to the table. How many did he take today? 2 or 3? Well that sure cost UConnthe game
How many has he made all year? Here's a hint...not that many

Reaction Score
Not having a stretch 4 this year is killing us. Basketball has moved beyond two bigs that can't shoot. Better hope Samson Johnson develops before next season or it's going to be rough.
There’s this guy named Akok Akok actually. He’s either always hurt, or makes positive contributions when he plays but still only sees 5 minutes.

Reaction Score
People disregarding what Whaley brings overall are just ridiculous. I mean he’s our best defender not close. Makes up for some that aren’t very good quite often but you’d need to understand help defense and such to know. Our guards aren’t great defenders especially AJ, Gaff and Hawk who are consistently beat off the dribble. Isaiah is the least of our issues. I do agree he should end up around the basket on offense because he can offensive rebound and put backs.

Reaction Score
People disregarding what Whaley brings overall are just ridiculous. I mean he’s our best defender not close. Makes up for some that aren’t very good quite often but you’d need to understand help defense and such to know. Our guards aren’t great defenders especially AJ, Gaff and Hawk who are consistently beat off the dribble. Isaiah is the least of our issues. I do agree he should end up around the basket on offense because he can offensive rebound and put backs.
I disagree Mau. He does play good D at times but not as well as last year. He peaked last year, with a lot more energy and better D. He’s a 5th year senior who had 2 points in 37 minutes! He was 1-6 and 0-3 from three, and didn’t get to the line once. He is not the least of our issues, especially for a team with not enough scorers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We sacrifice offense with in him on the perimeter. Yes he can be very good on D and boards but good coaches can really shut us down. Double sanogo and force Whaley and Jackson to shoot threes.

Our bench scored what 10 points. Most if not all in first half.

Reaction Score
We really need to think about lineup structure.

Having Whaley on the floor with Sanogo makes it extremely easy to sag on him and deny the ball with 2 players. Creighton did it and Xavier did it tonight.

A small lineup with Polley/Jackson/or Martin at the 4 would be much more conducive to being able to play through Sanogo.
Been saying this all year. Danny is one stubborn sob

Reaction Score
I've mentioned it a few times, but it seems Whaley, Sanogo and AJ on the floor together just leads to an anemic offense. And it's our starting lineup. It's like starting a game in goal line formation. There needs to be an outside threat if we want to free up the paint for Sanogo, or give AJ a lane to cut.

Reaction Score
I've mentioned it a few times, but it seems Whaley, Sanogo and AJ on the floor together just leads to an anemic offense. And it's our starting lineup. It's like starting a game in goal line formation. There needs to be an outside threat if we want to free up the paint for Sanogo, or give AJ a lane to cut.
Start Hawkins already. And having AJ camped out behind the 3 point line all game is a complete waste of a freakish athlete who can’t shoot. On a team sorely lacking in ball handlers, I think Andre needs to play because he can bring the ball up court, defend and rebound. Hurley needs to run some alley oops, back door cuts, cuts off Sanogo double teams etc to allow him to use his elite athletic ability.

Reaction Score
There’s this guy named Akok Akok actually. He’s either always hurt, or makes positive contributions when he plays but still only sees 5 minutes.
Akok seems like a good guy and he’s had a tough break with injuries, but I genuinely have no idea what player you’re watching. He’s been getting roasted on defense constantly lately and he’s incredibly limited offensively and on the boards. He is not the answer right now.

Reaction Score
Whaley has finished much better on the inside as of late, when he actually shoots from there. The blown layups, at least by Whaley, aren't as bad as they were 2 months ago.

Reaction Score
Akok seems like a good guy and he’s had a tough break with injuries, but I genuinely have no idea what player you’re watching. He’s been getting roasted on defense constantly lately and he’s incredibly limited offensively and on the boards. He is not the answer right now.
I disagree, especially with regard to three point shooting. He’s shooting 46% from 3. At least he is a threat out there, unlike Whaley who shoots 30%. He’s had good spurts in a few games and then sat quickly. The rebounding stats don’t back you up at all. Akok is averaging 3.6 boards in 15 mpg. Whaley is only averaging 4.9 in 27 mpg. So according to the numbers, Akok is rebounding at a better rate than Whaley, I wasn’t so much as advocating for him to play a lot though, just pointing out he was the stretch 4 we were supposed to have.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom