WFAN coverage? | The Boneyard

WFAN coverage?

Reaction Score
At the end of the JC era, WFAN started covering us like we were a NYC Metro team. In the past decade I believe that coverage faded. I'm not anywhere near the NYC market anymore. Does anyone know if WFAN is starting to cover us again. Like they were doing a decade ago?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
At the end of the JC, WFAN started covering us like we were a NYC Metro team. In the past decade I believe that coverage faded. I'm not anywhere near the NYC market anymore. Does anyone know if WFAN is starting to cover us again. Like they were doing a decade ago?
That’s because Francesa and Calhoun had an understanding. I think they actually liked each other.

Reaction Score
I’m a wfan daily listener. Best they can do at this point is a jerry Rico upcoming game or score update after that this team does not exist on the station. Hope this changes. I called in to the sports pope a year prior to final 4 run with price team. He hung up on me and said UConn fans are unrealistic. I was a year off put saw the potential. At least he took a UConn call. Don’t think that would happen as of now.

Reaction Score
i listen regularly. they barely talk about college basketball at this time of the year. we still usually get a shoutout during the morning updates, but that's about it.

rutgers definitely gets more coverage. last year, pikiell had a regular appearance on carton & roberts and jerry recco, the rutgers pbp guy, is an anchor on the morning show.

Reaction Score
The only one who ever talked college basketball was JJ, despite his bad taste in schools. Now that he's gone it's an afterthought

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Prior to 3/29/99, Fatcesa had utter disregard for the program. On 3/30/99, he got out the kneepads for Jimmy C, as he should have. Listen to the interview sometime if you can find it on the interweb. Fatso is still a two-faced loser, and Froot Loops isn't much better, despite being a Connecticut resident. Good thing Orlovsky keeps Greenberg in line...

This probably belong in the "Ridiculously Addictive YouTube clips" thread, but I'll post it here, its FANtastic

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Prior to 3/29/99, Fatcesa had utter disregard for the program. On 3/30/99, he got out the kneepads for Jimmy C, as he should have.
Francessa and JC actually had a "feud" going for a while then cleared the air through a mutual third party and became friendly after that and then Big Mike loved UConn and JC

Reaction Score
The only one who ever talked college basketball was JJ, despite his bad taste in schools. Now that he's gone it's an afterthought
Francesa always talked hoops, he would do a whole show before March Madness and it was basically a UConn show.

Reaction Score
I always remember Francesa did his show in Hartford before the UConn/Pitt game. Was the game DeJuan Blair flipped Thabeet. Think he actually did the show from the civic center.

Also there is this CLASSIC. OH MY GAWD. "Alright here's the mink man we go to 4 overtimes."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I always remember Francesa did his show in Hartford before the UConn/Pitt game. Was the game DeJuan Blair flipped Thabeet. Think he actually did the show from the civic center.

Also there is this CLASSIC. OH MY GAWD. "Alright here's the mink man we go to 4 overtimes."

Francesa and Russo also did their show from the Civic Center before the Notre Dame game in 2006. UConn basketball definitely got a lot of publicity on the FAN, but not winning a tournament game since 2016, and being away from NYC and MSG in March while part of the AAC definitely did not help our credibility and exposure to the NY market.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn got a ton of pub on the fan in the 90's. Much of it because Imus in the Morning's manager was a big UConn fan.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That’s not the reason that Francesa talked about UConn. I don’t think he gave two craps about what Imus in the mornings manger thought.
Wrong. Francesa was on the Imus show all the time.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Jeez how hard is this? in the 90’s a 50,000 watt station hit all of us in a huge radius for sports consumption . It was a beautiful time, in 2022 there are internet, podcasts , Twitter, message boards and Sirius//XM . There is no market for FAN now except for immediate NY, and even then…..,

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Wrong. Francesa was on the Imus show all the time.
Oops accidentally deleted my post while trying to add to it…do not think that was the reason at all, but hey we don’t have to agree.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Jeez how hard is this? in the 90’s a 50,000 watt station hit all of us in a huge radius for sports consumption . It was a beautiful time, in 2022 there are internet, podcasts , Twitter, message boards and Sirius//XM . There is no market for FAN now except for immediate NY, and even then…..,
true…I haven’t listened to the Fan since the advent of satellite radio.

Reaction Score
Prior to 3/29/99, Fatcesa had utter disregard for the program. On 3/30/99, he got out the kneepads for Jimmy C, as he should have. Listen to the interview sometime if you can find it on the interweb. Fatso is still a two-faced loser, and Froot Loops isn't much better, despite being a Connecticut resident. Good thing Orlovsky keeps Greenberg in line...

This probably belong in the "Ridiculously Addictive YouTube clips" thread, but I'll post it here, its FANtastic

@dvegas knows the deal. Francesa is a scu#bag of monumental proportions. His show on 9/11 sums up perfectly the kind of wretched human being he is. For a decade, he badmouthed JC and the UConn program whenever he talked college hoops. He is a sham. And as @dvegas also points out, the New Canaan whacko isn’t much better. That station has a convicted felon on in the afternoons, who they were desperate to bring back. The only radio team worth listening to in the NY metro area is Kay/Lagrecca/Rosenberg.

Reaction Score
Francesa had a great relationship with Calhoun & he highly respected the work Calhoun did for the program- constantly saying it’s the best job any coach has ever done considering the past history, financial, location, etc.

Considering this team should be ranked #1 come Monday- UConn should be given a few hours on the WFAN for the week, but the reality of that is not likely- would love to see Huskies get the cred they deserve- what a start & what a dominance- the games aren’t even close- believe they’ve covered every game so far as well- that in its own right is something to talk about nowadays.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'll never get the Mike Francesa hate. Guy is arrogant but that comes with the territory. Him and Chris are two of the all time greats and basically popularized sports talk radio.
True. And also true their model is kicking daisies

Reaction Score
WFAN drive time is unlistenable. Neither the morning show with boomer Esiason or the afternoon show with Carton should be considered sports shows.

Prior to the 1990 championship Francesca and Russo ignored the UConn basketball program. They were enamored with Calipari who used them big time to get publicity of the UMass program, calling into their show, having them up to Amherst for practice etc. Once Umass was relevant for a few years Calipari completely ignored them.

The day after UConn won the championship in 1999, they were fawning all over the UConn program and Calhoun, Calhoun granted them an interview (I think while the tam was travelling form Bradley to Storrs). If it was me, I never would have agreed to an interview with them, but Calhoun is a better man than me,

Reaction Score
They never talked much college basketball before the tournament because they have so many pro sports teams metro NY. Hurley should go on with these guys am and pm and shmooze them up, and believe me they will fawn all over us. Never hurts to get that big market pub.

Reaction Score
Since Carton has come back and joined the Evan Roberts at the Francesa slot, it’s become unlistenable. Plus, when Beningo joins Evan, he turns into angry guy using his platform to yell at clouds.

I used to hate the show, but I listen to sports talk radio on the drive home, Kay has become the preferable option.

Boomer and Gio is still good, though I rarely listen to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom